Metroguide V4 Vs City Select V6

I had an older version of MetroGuide (v4.01) which from my conversations with Garmin is the only version that will do AutoRouting installed on my Garmin GPSMap 76C. It works beautifully. However, I was looking for updated information... new roads, exits, etc, and Garmin directed me to City Select 6. Ok, I paid the $115.00 for the new software and installed it. Maybe it's just me, and I am not up to speed on City Select, but the maps in MetroGuide v4.01 were much more detailed, and accurate (especially in remote areas) than City Select v6.0. Maybe other info is more current... restaurants, shopping etc, but the maps seemed better in MetroGuide.

Has anyone else experienced this?? Or am I missing something?

Thanks.

MetroGuide will have some of the smaller roads listed as a higher priority. That means that they show up when you have the detail set to least or less before they show up in City Select. When you do autorouting City Select will use those small roads and they will show up then.

Also you can put both maps on the GPS if you want to. Just select the maps you want from City Select then at the top of Mapsource use the drop down to select the MetroGuide maps. Then upload them to the GPS in one transfer. I think the CitySelect maps take precedence but you can turn them off in the map setup and the MetroGuide maps will show up. Turn off MetroGuide and the base map will show up.

Has anyone else experienced this?? Or am I missing something?

This is exactly why I still use MG4. I bought MG5 and I didn't care for it, so I sold it in the Garage Sale. I have 5 Garmin GPSes and I can run MG4 on all of them without messing with unlock codes. In my remote area, MG4 has better map data and it shows physical features like lakes and rivers. I only have one autorouting unit and it works fine. Maybe when I buy that new StreetPilot c320, I will install new maps on my old StreetPilot III, but until then I don't see any need to upgrade.

Thanks for all of the great insight. I am fairly new to this and I thought that maybe I was missing something. I am still trying to figure out why Garmin wouldn't just keep building on the foundation of MetroGuide. Prior to purchasing City Select v6, I called Garmin and they told me that MetroGuide v6 and City Select v6 used the exact same maps. But as Webscouter pointed out they don't show the same detail at the same levels. When creating routes I have to zoom waaayyy in on City Select v6 to get the smaller roads (to mark Waypoints), and then zoom back out to move around.

Again, thanks for the information and insight.

I am still trying to figure out why Garmin wouldn't just keep building on the foundation of MetroGuide.

The old (v4) MetroGuide maps came from TeleAtlas, but the best auto-routing was generally regarded as available with the maps from NavTech (now NavTeq). Garmin presumably wanted to only have a single map supplier for their road maps, so when they went with NavTech for their automotive-oriented products (SP III, SP26xx, etc.), they also started using those maps for the MetroGuide series in v5 and up.

In some areas the old v4 MG does show more roads, but my experience has been that it shows quite a few small roads that aren't open to the public: fire access roads, privately-maintained roads, etc. Sometimes this is nice since many of the fire roads are open as trails for hiking, but it can be very misleading when the map shows a road that seems to be a good way to go and then it turns out to have a locked gate. I agree with Brian that in most cases MG4 has better waterway detail than the newer (NavTeq-based) versions. MG4 also includes marine NavAids (bouys, lights, markers) and tide data that's not on the later ones.

Peter, you are absolutely right about the smaller roads. While I was in NC last week, it was showing me dirt roads accessing private hunting clubs, and fishing ponds. As you pointed out this can be both good and bad. So, maybe I will have to pick and choose from both MG4 and CS6 for specific quests... ie geocaching vs cross country trips, since I have already purchased CS6.

Will Metroguide V4 autoroute on a 60c? Something makes me think it won't.

Thanks

I don't know why it wouldn't. It autoroutes on my StreetPilot III. I suppose the best way is to try it. Send me your 60c, I'll load some MG4 maps on it and send it back in 5-6 months... :lol: