Dredging Up Old Topics

Hoppingcrow

I've read through at half a dozen topics today out of boredom, not paying any particular attention to the dates, only to discover that toward the bottom of the last page, poor Jeremy has posted words to the effect of, "Please, let's don't resurrect any more 7-month old topics." I'm sure that like myself, people read without noticing the dates, and then add a comment they think is timely.

Suggestion for the Forums in general: archive topics once they've outlived their usefulness, like maybe if they haven't had any new posts for a couple of months.

Of course, creating a new thread creates it's own problems. The first bunch of posters will just link to the old threads saying "it's already been discussed" instead of adding to the discussion..........

I do agree that it's annoying when people dredge up old threads, just because they're bored, and add nothing in the way of new insight into the previous discussion.

Well, if it was an interesting thread & fun....why not? It could be that a lot of 'newbies' would really enjoy the 'hand sign' & who got it started. Or some other historical item that only the long term Geocachers would remember.

If you do not like an oldie but goodie...do not read or post to it.

Shirley~

Edit to add what John just showed me...

Before you "CLICK" on a topic -- just hold your cursor over the title of the thread - WOW - imagine that - the date that is was posted shows so you do not even have to waste your time in clicking to read. ;)

Edited by 2oldfarts (the rockhounders)

It especially when someone pulls up a topic with a similar date (they're doing it just to annoy ME)

Like, when there's a topic from July 7, 2004. Generally, I wouldn't even notice the date, but if I did, I wouldn't pay ANY attention to the year.

Before you "CLICK" on a topic -- just hold your cursor over the title of the thread - WOW - imagine that - the date that is was posted shows so you do not even have to waste your time in clicking to read. :P

Whoa. I've always wanted a way to see the date, before opening the thread! ;)

If you do not like an oldie but goodie...do not read or post to it.

Shirley~

Edit to add what John just showed me...

Before you "CLICK" on a topic -- just hold your cursor over the title of the thread - WOW - imagine that - the date that is was posted shows so you do not even have to waste your time in clicking to read. ;)

But you can't tell if they're just dredging it up because they're bored, or actually adding something useful to an old thread until you open it to read.....