Mapsource Autoroutes

bmds

I'm trying to use MapSource to create a route from Colorado Springs to Chicago. I want it to follow the interstate routes, but can't figure out how to get it to follow the route without manually making waypoints all the way there. If I just say go from CS to Chicago, I get an "as the crow flies" route. How do I get it to follow the interstates?

I have updated the software to version 6.5, but when I pull up preferences the tabs don't match the tabs in the help file for instance, there is no routing tab as the help file shows.

Greetings bmds. What Garmin maps are you trying to autoroute on? It would have to be something like City Select, Metroguide, etc. Possibly the "routing" tab in preferences doesn't appear until you do have autoroutable maps.

Cheers, Olar

Thanks. I like my Garmin unit, but their users manuals suck and unless you have time to actually talk to a human (which is only possible during the time I'm at work), their tech support mindlessly quotes the manual. Its good to have folks like you guys out there to ask questions.

I used my Vista C with City Select to take a trip from NW Wash. to SE Idaho. I played around with the software and ultimately just told the Vista to take me to the city in Idaho & let it route from the gpsr, that also allowed it to recalculate when I took a couple of intentional side trips.

If you develop the route in Mapsource then upload to the gpsr I don't think it is able to do recalculations.

ymmv

I have recently "messed up" my preloaded maps by loading CitySelect maps to my unit so I can't test it out but....

Go to the Setup Menu, Routing Setup and what does it show? I have mine set to Prompted, Prompted and On. Make sure that you don't have Follow Road or Off Road set as your Guidance Method.

When I select Find, Geocache, and select a waypoint, I am given a pop-up that asks if I want to Follow Road or Off Road. If I select Off Road, it will give me the compass and the Found, Note, Stop menu and an "as the crow flys" type of line. If I select Follow Road it will not give me those options but it will give me the route to take using prompts and follows the main roads.