Designated "nice Swag" Caches?

I'm afraid the only thing you will legitimately be able to enforce, TNLN not withstanding, is to have the trades logged with the find or have the finds deleted and not worry about the fact the cache will degrade over time.

What about the people who don't log online?

I went to a cache the other day where someone signed the log book, but we didn't have their online log in the Palm.

And I know a guy who just likes to find caches, but he doesn't log any of his finds online . . .

Yes, I know (as stated) that it is subjectable. So you’re saying that finders would downtrade and then so as not to be accountable would log tnln? Hmm, I think I have to agree with you (yikes) on that one, I guess maybe now I'm thinking of... how to word this, um what keeps popping into my head is 'keeping honest people honest' in that if there are those out there actively and consciously downtrading, well nothing will stop them, but maybe being required to log the trade would get those who just don't bother to think about it... well, thinking about it.

that surprises you? !!

I started a similar thread nearly a year ago asking why people out right lie in their logs - TNLN or traded something nice - go to the cache and it is full of geo-junk -

standard fare!

cc\

Exactly!! It would be an interesting experiment. I am hopefully placing my first cache this weekend, I have decided to make it a members only cache, and I am now going to consider this approach, however it is my first cache so maybe I should just keep it simple :) .

that would be my suggestion of a member only cache. 30 bucks a year is a small price to pay to help the site, and if you are willing to put out the 30 bucks you are most likely willing to place/trade better items if designated by the cache page, as well as putting a copy of the page in the cache as a reminder.

I am guilty of not logging online, tho I have tried to rectify that. I really thought that the hard copy was what mattered and I didn't like the 'numbers' aspect. I now see that it is helpful to the next finders and enjoyable for the placer so I have tried to log everything.

idiosyncratic, we are in the same area so maybe you will be finding one of my caches soon! :)

CompuCash, I don't understand your statement

that surprises you? !!
I am guilty of not logging online, tho I have tried to rectify that. I really thought that the hard copy was what mattered and I didn't like the 'numbers' aspect. I now see that it is helpful to the next finders and enjoyable for the placer so I have tried to log everything.

idiosyncratic, we are in the same area so maybe you will be finding one of my caches soon! :)

I hope so . . . and I hope you will seek out my new series I just placed in Jamul. :laughing:

I'm afraid the only thing you will legitimately be able to enforce, TNLN not withstanding, is to have the trades logged with the find or have the finds deleted and not worry about the fact the cache will degrade over time.

What about the people who don't log online?

I went to a cache the other day where someone signed the log book, but we didn't have their online log in the Palm.

And I know a guy who just likes to find caches, but he doesn't log any of his finds online . . .

There's always an exception and I never speak in concrete terms with this game. It is as it has been, play it your way. You can only enforce that which is in front of your face.

As for MO caches. This doesn't stop the degradation of the swag, it just slows it down.

Edited by TotemLake
I didn't understand Compu's statement in relation to what he quoted.

What I was saying partly Totem said - [ I think the title of the tread was something like 'why do caches lie in logs' ]

the other half is that loging won't change anything at all - you don't have to worry about the good guys.

Those people who are not honest will log that they traded up - (even name something nice) - or do a TNLN -

But WAIT!!!

<irony> ten logs - and 7 tnln and there is nothing but junk in the cache? But no cacher did that - it was muggled! - the cache was put back properly and there were 10 pieces of junk - yup - musta been a muggle! no cacher would do that! </irony>

sorry - end of rant :rolleyes: sardonic grin and all -

I have gone to my cache the day after a log to get an item that was cool - or to check a log - only to find as noted above -

cc\

Edited by CompuCash

This idea would be at HIGH cost for the owner. If the people who trade a Burger King watch for a Rolex Divermaster come swarming to your cache, then every month you'd have to restalk your cache.

In my area, they used to stalk a part of the river where alot of sewage and chemicals were dumped with alot of trout. The trouts kept dying and dying, the cost to stalk these trout and watch them die was more than what the commission was getting out of stalking there. So they stopped. If the owner of the cache finds this to be a moneypit, they'll stop stalking to cache with good items to se them be traded away. I'd appreciate if everyone abbided with the trade for equal value, but how could we enforce that? Oh well, cache on, no worries.

I don't even bother bringing swag. I haven't seen anything in a cache I really wanted, and I don't even look at what's there most of the time. I'm just interested in the hunt. Plus, it saves me time and money shopping for swag, and I don't have to add that to the stuff I already drag around with me caching.

Just my $.02

As a newbie with only 27 finds, I have gone through many phases of "What Geocaching Means To Me." First it was about the hunt, then the trade, then the TB, then the Jeep TB, then the hike. Now it's all about the enjoyment of it all. I love it! Even if I walk away from a cache without a cool object in hand, I always take something away with me...a photo, a memory, a feeling of satisfaction.

With that said...

After reading how passionate others are about what is left in caches I started feeling guilty about the batman, the jawharp, the Tomb Raider game and the jeweled headband my family and I have left in some of the caches we have visited. I thought they were pretty good at the time but gosh with all the complaints I started feeling pretty crummy. So I revisited the cache sites online and much to my surprise all of those "gifts" have been retrieved by other geocachers! Hmmm. Very interesting! I guess someone liked them. On the same note, another item I thought was cool, has been sitting in a cache for quite some time.

So I guess maybe the value of a trade item is determined not by who leaves it but by who takes it. Maybe it's a good idea for everyone who thinks they are "trading up" to go back and check on the items they have left behind. Have you made someone happy? Or is your "trade up" item collecting dust? Then adjust your swag accordingly.

Just a thought.