Ice - In Case Of Energency

They've mentioned it a few times on the news items following the bombing just to see if they get a public reaction.

Nothing negative seems to have been heard. It seems to be spreading 'virally'. hard to judge how universal it is as most people I know are like geocachers and pick up on these 'semi-tech' waves. I wonder if the great majority of the 'muggle-like' population picked up on it.

I'll add it to mine, but friends in the emergency services always look for 'home' and 'mum' in the phone book if they recover a phone from an incident.

The negative side I have found is that if the number is the same asa number you already have in your addressbook, then the phone has no idea who is calling as it thinks two people have the same number so fails to play the approproiate tone etc. It also means you can't have two tones, one for normal, and one for when the ICE is triggered.

Jackie and I have had to remove our usual entries, and just leave the relevant ICE one (with name attached) so tha tthe phone can at least display some sort of caller ID.

Good point LG, didn't affect dialling out, but I have yet to test what it does when receiving from that number. I wonder if it takes it in alphabetical order.

I have taken to putting a. b. and c. in front of entries so that the names I need most often float to the top of my alphabetical list and those I need one or twice a year are at the bottom.

Good point LG, didn't affect dialling out, but I have yet to test what it does when receiving from that number. I wonder if it takes it in alphabetical order.

I have taken to putting a. b. and c. in front of entries so that the names I need most often float to the top of my alphabetical list and those I need one or twice a year are at the bottom.

If the authorities in an emergency are looking for the ICE contact, it will have to start with ICE - but you can work round that by making sure that the other entries all start with letters other than I.

As for alphabetical order - my Nokia doesn't work like that. If a call is recieved from a number that has more than one addressbook entry it just displays the number which is a pain.

I think that as an ongoing push to making this a std thing for all mobile carriers, the manufacturers should include an ICE contact page as a separate menu item.

Alternatively, maybe one phonebook entry could be selected which would then be highlighted as the ICE contact, thereby not affecting the phones other features.

I know some of the users of this forum are more up on the firmware for mobiles, so could this be done as a flash upgrade to existing phones?

With all new models this should be done as standard!

Don't forget to also put your ICE contact details on your owner details page page in your PDA, and you could also add it to your GPS with the addition of the waypoint!!

Whatever happens, I would have thought the emergency services would use their own system to make the contact rather than using the victims own mobile, so you are less likely to get a call from a number you recognise, with a strange voice telling you that your friend or loved one is hurt or worse.

The negative side I have found is that if the number is the same asa number you already have in your addressbook, then the phone has no idea who is calling as it thinks two people have the same number so fails to play the approproiate tone etc. It also means you can't have two tones, one for normal, and one for when the ICE is triggered.

Jackie and I have had to remove our usual entries, and just leave the relevant ICE one (with name attached) so tha tthe phone can at least display some sort of caller ID.

If you add an extra number to the end of your ICE number it will still be dialled OK but will not match an incoming call so your phone will correctly identify the caller as 'Home' or whatever you called it. Work for my phone/number anyway.

Whatever happens, I would have thought the emergency services would use their own system to make the contact rather than using the victims own mobile, so you are less likely to get a call from a number you recognise, with a strange voice telling you that your friend or loved one is hurt or worse.

They don't intend to call from that phone, but once they have the number they can use it to track down the contact and make a visit, or call from an official centre. As you said, a call looking like it was coming from the mobile would be dreadful.

They are also suggesting that if possible, under the ICE to enter a landline and mobile. My phone certainly lets me put in 'general, mobile, home, office and fax' for every name.

So the entries could actually be for different people, e.g. wife on mobile, mum on general. Just increases the chance of them contacting someone.

If you add an extra number to the end of your ICE number it will still be dialled OK but will not match an incoming call so your phone will correctly identify the caller as 'Home' or whatever you called it. Work for my phone/number anyway.

Clever, just hope it doesn't fool the people who are trying to use it. As I stated, they are not intending to dial using that phone, but to copy the number out and dial from a casulty centre or similar.

If they see an incorrectly formed number, would they guess to take the last number off?

Here's a website that might be of interest.

Edited by kbootb

That is a clever idea - I will have to try it.

Another solution, just add ICE to the front of any name so you only have one entry for that person.

e.g.

ICE mum

The phone then knows who is calling. OK so it displays ICE mum, but I can live with that.

Means you can also have a number of ICE contacts so if one is not avaialable they can try the next one. Also gives the services an idea who they are calling. If the entry was just ICE then they wouldn't have a name.

They are also suggesting that if possible, under the ICE to enter a landline and mobile. My phone certainly lets me put in 'general, mobile, home, office and fax' for every name.

So the entries could actually be for different people, e.g. wife on mobile, mum on general. Just increases the chance of them contacting someone.

For those of us with ancient phones who can't do this they suggest to have ICE1, ICE2, ICE3 etc. I have done this with my brick! They then know the order in which to call as well so my next of kin are contacted in the order I would like them to be.

If my phone identifies an incoming call as ICE1 instead of "home" I know that ICE1 is our house number so I answer the call knowing its home. So incoming call identification isn't a problem as long as you remember whats on each ICE.

worse still is the *&(&(*^(^ samsung phones you get over here - you CAN'T have two people with the same number. So I can't have home and ICE.

The only way around it is to program a pause onto the end of the phone number for one of the numbers.

There's only one number that I want called if I can't speak for myself. That's 999 (or 911 in North America). If I lose the phone and the finder is actually honest enough to want to return it, I have an entry in my phone book called HOME. I also have one in my GPS the same in the off chance I lose it and the finder has a dose of morality. ;)