Mapsource Routing Question For 60c

AlSi

I have an 848 mile trip to route on my brand new Garmin 60c using City Select V6. I have been reading that it is better to route on the unit than in Mapsource. What is the reason for this. In either case I would have to use way points to force the route along the roads I wish to use.

By the way I upgraded from my Legend with the great info provided by the knowledgeable folks on this forum.

Thank You

Alan

When you route in the unit it will make corrections on the fly should miss your turn or take a detour.

This was good information...I didn't realize that a route created in City Select and uploaded to the GPSr would not recalculate properly, but I just confirmed it on a trip to the gas station. I purposely deviated from the route I set up in CS, and the unit kept wanting me to make U turns, go down strange streets, and recalculated many times...all designed to get me back onto my original route. If I had simply navigated directy to the station's waypoint without uploading a route, the GPSr would have simply taken me there by the fastest way from any point.

Using CS to plan and upload a route seems fine if you always want to get back onto that route in the event you deviate, but for last-minute changes I suspect it's better to route in the unit, as briansnat indicated, or else simply GOTO your final waypoint without a route.

Edited by drew

My 60C took me from Milwaukee to past Atlanta nicely. Of course, it was mostly interstate but I was able to fit detailed maps in the memory for most of the route for those off route excursions if something looked interesting. If you want to lay out a route, making waypoints as you mentioned is a good method. Otherwise, if you go off route you might want to move the pointer to a place further down the route, create a waypoint and GOTO that point. Then it will autoroute nicely provided you have more than just the base map.

I just tried following a route from my house to the local Walmart(7 miles programmmed on the 60c). It calculated a route using the interstate near our house that also runs past the Walmart. The best route.

When I left the house I intentionally did not follow the generated route. The unit kept informing me that it was recalculating but neverdisplayed anything other than the calulated route.

Suggestions for what 60c settings are needed for the unit to recalculate a new route.

Or intead of route do you use go to.

Alan

I just tried following a route from my house to the local Walmart(7 miles programmmed on the 60c). It calculated a route using the interstate near our house that also runs past the Walmart. The best route.

When I left the house I intentionally did not follow the generated route. The unit kept informing me that it was recalculating but neverdisplayed anything other than the calulated route.

Suggestions for what 60c settings are needed for the unit to recalculate a new route.

Or intead of route do you use go to.

Alan

If you had used GOTO the Wal-Mart waypoint instead of calculating a route, the unit would have directed you via local roads to the store, once it saw that you were not following the highway, (and therefore the local road became the fastest route), assuming that those local roads were in the unit as part of City Select maps.

It seems to me that when you are following a route, no matter which method you entered it into the GPSr, any recalculations will be designed only to get you back to the route.

But now you've given me another scenario to confirm on my own.

Drew

Edited by drew

I am seeing two routing options.

Have the unit create a route. Beginning and end or with multiple waypoints.

Use the goto waypoint. For a longer trip set up way points and then navigate using go to waypoint, as you pass a waypoint use go to for the next.

Different autorouting results for each. Both having benefits.

Alan

From my experience, the unit builds the route when you ask it to, regardless of whether you create the route in the unit or on Mapsource. It figures out the route and contains all the routing info from where your at to the end point or to the via points. I have never had it work differently whether I created the route on the unit, on mapsource, or simply did a "Goto". The biggest difference is that when you have starting point and an ending point, it will build the route form where you are, going through the starting point and will keep trying to send you back to the starting point until it fugures out that you are not going there.

Try Menu > Menu > Setup > Routing ...Follow Road Options ... Off Route recalculation to automatic, Calculation Method Best Route .... Avoid U-turns checked ON. I use routes generated in MapSource and do not recall any issues with deviations .... but I'll play some with mine and check it out. :o ImpalaBob

After trying a short go to across my small town, the unit was trying to route me on the interstate. The interstate had no bearing on the route. hmmmm I checked my mapsource settings and I had not placed a check in the include autoroute on the map page.

I noticed when I uploaded to the unit it did not ask about autoroute, I assumed it recognized the unit and included the autoroute.

Tomorrow I will try again with the autoroute included.

Alan

Had a chance to try a got to with the autoroute loaded. I must say it performed great. I deviated course several times and it kept recalculating. I am happy with the results.

I will have to try test with a mapsource route loaded.

I cannot tell yet from all of the posts whats up with mapsource routes.

Alan

Here is my observation of a mapsource route with waypoints.

It works great. As long as you were approaching a way point it would try to direct you to it. After you passed the way point it would recalculate the route, if the following waypoints are in the best route it uses them. If they are not part of the best route it by passes them.

I would have no problem with using mapsource generated routes.

Alan