Ever Had Your Cache Container Replaced

I went to do one of my hubby's caches the other day (GCK60W). I found a 35mm container with a log that said "new log book" at the top in red marker. The first people to sign it signed in the same ink, so I knew they were the ones who had replaced it. I thought, "Well that was nice, but I wish they had let him know the old logbook was full so he could pick it up himself. Or even give it to us themselves, since they live near us." Their online log mentions nothing about replacing the logbook.

When I got home I mentioned the new logbook to my husband. Then I said, "Hey, wasn't that cache supposed to be a large pill bottle?" After further consultation, we realized that they had replaced the whole cache container, and not even in the right place.

Looking over the other online logs, I see where people have mentioned the nice camo job, and how it was a tricky hide and they had to hunt for it awhile. The plain, black 35mm container I found was in a very obvious spot.

I've replaced other cachers' missing containers before, but only after the cache had several DNFs, and I always let the person know what I'd done!

I was wondering if I was going to find Shaggy's nicely camoed large pill bottle while doing one of their caches someday like West Tn Dawg did. But since it was in the wrong place, I figure they just couldn't find it and were too worried about their numbers to be ethical.

Edited by Daphne of Mysteries Inc.

Had one of my 'creations' replaced by someone . . . the magnet fell off and to be returned to the original hide, a new container was needed - I was very pleased for the help.

On yours, could your ORIGINAL container/log still be at the site, still hidden? Just thinking someone replaced the container & log because they could not find the hide but wanted to log the find. Maybe they were trying to help by replacving everything when the real problem was they could not find the cache.

You have the entire scenario laid out and the jury has done it's work and gone home. All you need now is the fireing squad.

Pill bottles break easily. I know I've had to fess up when I've placed the rock back on top of them and it didn't seat right and you hear that 'crack'. Film containers are a little more flexible for hides. I don't know what happened to your cache or why, but I do know you are either ethical or not and that it doesnt' have much to do with numbers.

In my neck of the woods caches are stolen. The theif doesn't log. It must not be about numbers for them.

I've been at several caches where TWO micro containers were found. In all cases they were film micros. Which one to sign - one? both? (I usually do both and mention the two in my online log). I could list those caches here but I'm not going to point fingers at those cachers (some with high counts). "I KNOW the cache is missing (so and so confirmed it) so I replaced the cache". Then the next cacher finds two caches.

I put some of the blame on the cache owners: Many of these double container caches remain for months. IMOHO the owner should have checked on the cache, removed the "new" cache, and notified the cacher who did this to change his FIND to a NOTE. If enough owners did this then the habit could be greatly reduced.

Cache maintance is another matter. If I find the log and trinkets lying all over the ground I will make an attempt to provide a container or at least a baggie. Other times I've found caches in the open and rehid where I THINK it may have been. In both cases I notify the owner with details.

In the end, it's up to the owner.

Had one of my 'creations' replaced by someone . . . the magnet fell off and to be returned to the original hide, a new container was needed - I was very pleased for the help.

On yours, could your ORIGINAL container/log still be at the site, still hidden? Just thinking someone replaced the container & log because they could not find the hide but wanted to log the find. Maybe they were trying to help by replacving everything when the real problem was they could not find the cache.

From reading some of the logs that were written after they were there, I would say the original container is definitely still out there. I will be checking on it next week.

Yes, I think they just wanted to log another find. And it's not like they had to go to a lot of trouble to get the the place; it's only about a mile off the main highway and you can drive to within ~10 feet of the cache!

Even if Shaggy's container had been missing, I think they should have let him know they replaced it.

Edited by Daphne of Mysteries Inc.
they can't find your cache. they put one of their own there.

yet they still claim a found? :D what did they find?

Someone did that with a cache we found on Kauai. It was a little tricky to find the right one and there were no DNFs after we replaced it. One team couldn't find it so they left a "replacement" and the next finder found the original one. Why do some people find it so hard to log a DNF?

We replaced a container at another cache but we knew for certain that it was gone. The cap to the film canister was glued in place but the rest, including the log were gone. There were a number of DNFs before us. We notified the owner on that one and he was grateful. If we had not found the lid though, we wouldn't have put a replacement there and would have had yet another DNF to our name.

Log the DNFs folks...that's all part of the game.