I Have A Sig Item!!

hometeachin

I am very excited! I just finished some prototype signature items and I think they will work!

I have loved the wooden coins I have found at the caches around Phoenix, so I wanted to join in. Do I put them in all of the caches I find, or just sprinkle them around to not saturate the area? Is this all I would put in, or do I include something else, too, if I take from the cache? Do you pick up sig items for the sake of collecting or because the design appeals to you? If it is too girlie, would you take it?

I really am happy with how it turned out and I hope others will be as well. It sounds cheesy to describe it and I can't get a pic right now.... I made a flip-flop out of Shrinky-Dinks and threaded beads onto a wire for the top, then connected it to a keyring with another Shrinky-Dink medallion that has "hometeachin 2005" and geocaching AZ on some. It really does look cool, to me, but maybe too girlie? It will probably evolve as time goes on.

Jenn in AZ

It's really up to you! Some folks I know put them in every cache (and number the back with either the date and/or the find number for that cache). Since they're inexpensive enough you don't really need to hold it only for certain caches (like an expensive custom minted coin). Either way is good, just do what you would like to do.

Congrats on your new sig item!!! Post a pic of it if you have a chance.

:unsure:

As a general rule you should trade even or trade up when visiting a cache (see the numerous threads about cruddy cache swag).

As such, and since you are new, I thought I would inform you the various types of items you will encounter in caches and a 'safe' way to take any of them.

Travel bugs: Can be anything, but they have a dog tag attached and the idea is they move around and are tracked on this site. These are not trade items as you do not keep them, you take them and place them in a different cache. You don't need to leave anything in order to take a travel bug. You should not take a TB unless you are reasonably sure you will be able to put it into another cache soon (couple weeks) as their owners want them to keep moving.

Geo-coins and other items with a tracking number on them. These are items that are intended to be treated as travel bugs, but they are tracked on other sites and in some cases on someone's personal web site. Treat as travel bugs.

Signature items: could be anything. You have to make a judgement call here as to whether or not the signature item has any intrinsic value. If it does (like a caribeener(sp) with the cacher's handle printed on it then you should trade an item of like value for it. If it has no intrinsic value (like a business card) then you should trade your own signature item (if you have one) for it. It is usually OK to just take a signature item for your collection if you collect them without leaving anything, but it would seem odd that one would collect sig items and not have one of their own.

regular swag: never take regular swag and leave a Travel bug or signature item with no intrinsic value as this is considered 'cheap'.

Anyway, there are no real rules, the above should be viewed simply as a guideline to be a fair trader. There will always be someone who disagrees, but for the most part nobody should ever object to how/what you trade if you stick to the guidelines.

Thanks for the replies. I will still trade the stuff we bring--new hotwheels and the like--for the kids. I know that my kids are disappointed when they get to a cache that doesn't have anything interesting to them or in good enough shape to trade. We have been leaving a hotwheel or something nice as a bonus for the next kid cacher even when we don't take anything, because my kids wanted the next kid to leave with something they were excited about. So, most of the swag we give out is with the kids in mind. (If the cache is big enough, I am starting to put Bookcrossing books in them, too!) About the trading up/even--I understand that, even before caching--it's the general principle of leaving things better than you found them, right? My mama taught me right! :D One of the first caches I found had a scratched off lottery ticket in it! :D Yup. One of my kids wanted the pocketknife in there, but we didn't have anything with us to trade for it, so we left it. Now, they bring stuff in case I have forgotten. :D

I am happy about my sig item, and though it is not expensive, it is time intensive. :D It takes a while to make 'em, so I will probably sprinkle some about rather liberally at first in my area, then taper off, because I don't want everyone coming to a cache thinking, "Geez! Another one of these things?!?!" :D (Like I really get to THAT many caches!!) It is small enough for small caches, too, so that will be cool.

One downside, a few people have seen them already (non-cachers) and want me to make some for them--sans medallion (keychain or necklace). I told 'em, if they want them, take up geocaching!!! :D

Jenn in AZ

Edited by hometeachin
  So, most of the swag we give out is with the kids in mind. (If the cache is big enough, I am starting to put Bookcrossing books in them, too!)  About the trading up/even--I understand that, even before caching--it's the general principle of leaving things better than you found them, right? My mama taught me right! :D

Funny you should mention the bookcrossing.com thing as I also started doing that and after I wrote my above post I got to thinking about violating my own guideline on not taking swag when leaving just a travel bug.

It is odd, but if you leave a book in a cache it is swag. If you register that book with bookcrossing.com then it kind of becomes a travel bug since the expectation is the taker won't keep it forever.

I am not completely sure what the 'right' way to handle the issue is in terms of taking swag when leaving a book crossing book, but I think I am going to leave something else if I take any swag. I don't think I would look negatively on someone who doesn't though. hmmm...

It is odd, but if you leave a book in a cache it is swag. If you register that book with bookcrossing.com then it kind of becomes a travel bug since the expectation is the taker won't keep it forever.

Whoa...lots of thinkin' goin' on here. :laughing: I just came in from the heat (yeah, but it's dry), so to process all of this, I will have to wait for my brain to get off of preheat. :anibad: I feel like it is "who's on first". B)

Seriously, I had never thought of this. You are right, but the person who picks up the book has the choice to keep it in their private collection, as long as they log it, right? I may not be reading this correctly, however. I know I wouldn't want to keep one, with all of the labels on it and the intent of the releaser to share it with as many people as possible.

I will still put stuff in for kids as well as the "bonus" items. B) Good thoughts and comments.

Geo-coins and other items with a tracking number on them. These are items that are intended to be treated as travel bugs, but they are tracked on other sites and in some cases on someone's personal web site. Treat as travel bugs.

and in some cases, they're tracked on geocaching.com as well.

Sounds like a great sig item! I tend to grab sig items when I can. I really like them. I think that enough people tend to love to pick up sig items that they are fair trade by themselves for many items. When in doubt because you took a particulary cool item, then add something else too. Note though that after awhile, if you put your sig item in all caches found, that your area will get saturated and the locals will quit picking them up because they already have one. That happened to me and so now I am looking for a new one.

As for how often to leave them: That is up to you. When I had custom pencils with devil ducky toppers I left them in most caches. But now I am looking at doing a custom coin or hand painted origami turtles in plastic boxes (each takes an hour to make). Because of the expense and time involved with those, they would only go in fav caches. I might make a card or homemade cheaper coin for the rest.

Thanks for the help everyone! I think I will leave them in a lot of caches--depending upon the amount of stock I have. ;) I will take them when I travel (and make sure I have AZ on it!) and leave them in all of the caches I go to out of town especially.

I got to place two of them today!! Good thing they are small enough for small caches, because that is all I got to search and find today. :P

Here are some pictures of them:

adc5037b-7a31-465b-8269-42224fed44c2.jpg

0e623f5b-10a1-4006-84f3-d70802cef03b.jpg

Thanks again!!

Edited by hometeachin