Rider Magazine Editorial

Those of us who ride motorcycles have known this for a while, but the editorial in this month's (actually August) issue of Rider magazine is on geocaching and its compatability with motorcycling.

I'm an avid rider, and a semi-avid cacher, and I discovered the combined fun some time ago. We've organized a couple of "Cache Runs" with some friends here, and plan to do more. It's great to see this kind of positive press.

Jeff

*lapsing into my occasional daydream where I get a motorcycle as a second vehicle and my wife doesn't freak*

save up the cash (woo, almost typed cache there) and just buy it without her knowing.

as for the topic...

I've gone caching with my dad on the motorcycle. It was the only way I could get him to take me to some caches that were 30 minutes away.

*lapsing into my occasional daydream where I get a motorcycle as a second vehicle and my wife doesn't freak*

save up the cash (woo, almost typed cache there) and just buy it without her knowing.

as for the topic...

I've gone caching with my dad on the motorcycle. It was the only way I could get him to take me to some caches that were 30 minutes away.

"Look, Honey! Look what I found in the garage! Can I keep it?"

as for the topic...

"Look, Honey! Look what I found in the garage! Can I keep it?"

:blink: hehehehehehe :unsure:

When I'm geocaching on the SV650S, I wear Draggin' Jeans and a textile jacket. I lock my helmet to the bike, put my gloves in either the tail truck or in my backpack(which has my cameras, swag, water, etc) and strap my jacket to the pack. I imagine if I had a bike with hard saddlebags, it would be easier (and I wouldn't be immitating a pack horse). I know that some of the pricer jackets have straps that you can use to lock them to the bike; I just don't happen to own any of them.

That's awesome!

Hey, just point out how good they are on gas, and the rising fuel prices, and how cheeply you can get a back up vehicle. It sure has handy having a spare vehicle in the house when my wifes Celica got totalled.

BTW, if you do get one and don't want the SO to know, I'll let you stash it in my garage (for a small fee and/or riding privlages), I've already got one in there and plan (someday) on getting another!

my only question is, what do you do with your gear whilst tromping into the woods after a cache?

I've thought of taking the bike several times. The helmet I can lock on it's hook under the seat, but have no desire to hike around in my leathers.  :anibad:

??? whatta mean? Hike? I just ride right up to the cache:

sherpa2.jpg

:laughing:

LOL! Now that's the way to ride and cache! B)

When I'm geocaching on the SV650S, I wear Draggin' Jeans and a textile jacket. I lock my helmet to the bike, put my gloves in either the tail truck or in my backpack(which has my cameras, swag, water, etc) and strap my jacket to the pack. I imagine if I had a bike with hard saddlebags, it would be easier (and I wouldn't be immitating a pack horse). I know that some of the pricer jackets have straps that you can use to lock them to the bike; I just don't happen to own any of them.

I'm gonna do one on my Valkyrie on Monday. Got plenty of room for everything as I have hardbags on it.

For your gear, carry a lightweight coiled cable lock. Loop the cable through a sleeve of your jacket, the chinbar of your helmet and lock to the bike. They make fairly heavy cables- you dont want these. Get one of the really lightweight plastic coated stranded metal cables.

hhhhmmmmm... why didn't I think of this? Think I might even have a cable floating around....

In good weather, most of my caching is done on the Harley FLTRI. Put 600+ miles on it in the past 10 days, doing three trips total. It has hard bags and a tour pack, all lockable and alarmed. There are still places I won't let it out of my sight though. Only need a helmet if I'm going into Michigan, and if somebody stole that they'd be doing me a favor.

The biggest concern I have though, are the Indiana and Michigan country roads. Many of them are stone. We Ohioans are fortunate to have mostly paved roads, although I did find a few stone ones while out caching on 6/29. At 40 miles per gallon, I'll go slow and ride on some stone. Beats my diesel Ford Super Duty at 15 MPG.

If I'm not caching in my trusty old Jeep TJ, I am on my HD VROD. Caching and riding is a great combination. I have my GPS mounted on the bike and use it to navigate the back roads.

In 20 years of riding, no one has ever messed with any of my bikes while it was parked.

We have cached in 5 different states via motorcycle, and hopefully will hunt caches in 5 new states when we take our trip later this summer.

Jeff

:P

Hey this is great ! a brother / sister hood of bikers/

Mrs.prairieview-il and I have gone caching on our bike a few times, the only bad thing was it took us on gravel roades which I hate taking the Harley on.

Last weekend I took a day ride by myself and picked up a couple of caches.

It was kind of difficult as I don't have any way to mount the GPS so I can see it and ride at the same time. I ended up getting close and stopping to check, etc. until I got close enough to walk. Kind of a pain.

Sure makes for a nice day though, a motorcycle ride and caching.

Caching and riding, dosen't get much better.

You're right.. but I'd have a hard time tacking something like that on my handlebars.. especially a cruiser.

I spent a fair amount of time finding the right mounting location for my GPS on my bike. Where it is, it blocks no guages, knobs, or mirrors, I can reach it with my left hand, and it's clearly visible from my normal riding position. Best yet, it more-or-less fits the lines of the bike.

859_5944_r1.jpg

Jamie

[edit] Hmm.. from the pic, it's not totally obvious that the GPS is not mounted on the handlebars. I'll have to get some side shots.

Edited by Jamie Z
Those of us who ride motorcycles have known this for a while, but the editorial in this month's (actually August) issue of Rider magazine is on geocaching and its compatability with motorcycling.

I'm an avid rider, and a semi-avid cacher, and I discovered the combined fun some time ago. We've organized a couple of "Cache Runs" with some friends here, and plan to do more. It's great to see this kind of positive press.

Jeff

With the gas prices the way they are. There is no better combination!

WEAR YOUR HELMETS!

I have to admit that geocaching and my old suzuki cruiser make a great team. I love the gravel roads that I find to ride on (the bike doesn't but it does what i tell it to. :P ) I have found a lot of great roads and rides to share with my non GC friends.

bwmick

Edited by bwmick

I used a radar detector handlebar mount and drilled holes to fit the Quest mount so that I can run the Quest off the SVS' electrical system.

bde67342-68cb-4846-8341-3bc219e336ab.jpg

There's not a lot of places to put the mount on a bike with clipons. It actually works well where I put it tho'; just out of my immediate eye so that I'm not distracted by it. At some point, I'll get an ear bud so that I can take advantage of the voice nav capabilities.

I used a radar detector handlebar mount and drilled holes to fit the Quest mount so that I can run the Quest off the SVS' electrical system.

[snip]

At some point, I'll get an ear bud so that I can take advantage of the voice nav capabilities.

That sounds like a good setup. Doggone Garmin took forever to bring out their handlebar mount for the Quest, and RAM came out with one, so that's what I use, but it doesn't have the electrical hookup. There is a hole in about the right place, though, so I could probably rig it up. But I've used it to navigate half way across the country (Ohio to Texas) on the bike, just on battery power and the visual prompts, so the electrical hookup isn't really a priority.

I like your idea about an ear bud for the voice prompts - I may look into that, too.

[snip]

At some point, I'll get an ear bud so that I can take advantage of the voice nav capabilities.

That sounds like a good setup. Doggone Garmin took forever to bring out their handlebar mount for the Quest, and RAM came out with one, so that's what I use, but it doesn't have the electrical hookup. There is a hole in about the right place, though, so I could probably rig it up. But I've used it to navigate half way across the country (Ohio to Texas) on the bike, just on battery power and the visual prompts, so the electrical hookup isn't really a priority.

I like your idea about an ear bud for the voice prompts - I may look into that, too.

Yyeessss.... I ordered the mount in January, finally got it in April :o