Gas Prices Impacting Your Geocaching?

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May!(snip)

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK

Americans should be paying at least another $1/gallon in fuel taxes to encourage conservation of resources and reduce pollution. Artificially reduced prices on fuel have led to obese children getting driven to all their activities by parents in low-mileage vehicles who couldn't care less that they are hastening the downward spiral toward a world petroleum crisis.

Alternative fuel users, like biodiesel, for instance, should have to pay TWO dollars a gallon in increased taxes to subsidize the petroleum industry. This will help EVERYONE by lowering the cost of fuel across the board for EVERY American. Besides, that's MY agenda and I say so, that's why.

By the way, I'm tired of biodiesel users causing the epidemic of obese children in America. After all, children aren't eating fast food deep-fried in gasoline, now are they?

Edited by ParrotRob
This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May!(snip)

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK

Americans should be paying at least another $1/gallon in fuel taxes to encourage conservation of resources and reduce pollution. Artificially reduced prices on fuel have led to obese children getting driven to all their activities by parents in low-mileage vehicles who couldn't care less that they are hastening the downward spiral toward a world petroleum crisis.

That said, I haven't bought fuel from Exxon (now exxon/mobil) since the Valdez spill, eand never will barring extreme circumstances.

treedweller

Higher taxes has never led to energy conservation (except in very extreme cases). Unfortunately the one thing that would work doesn't exist, yet. There is no mass produced low energy alternative to gasoline.

OT: The low gas price = fat children argument is the same as the McDonalds = fat children argument.

You left out "in this country." Europe and other parts of the world pay much more for fuel and use much less of it. Sure, that's partly because they often have narrow streets that make big trucks less viable, but also they use efficient diesels more often and ride bikes, walk or take public transportation.

The obese children thing is just one example of how Americans foolishly waste fuel with unfortunate side effects. Surely you wouldn't deny there are several more available.

treedweller

By the way, I'm tired of biodiesel users causing the epidemic of obese children in America. After all, children aren't eating fast food deep-fried in gasoline, now are they?

HA!

:lol:

Hippies make Americans fat!

Stop using biodiesel and then MCDonald's will stop selling fries!

Oh, but wait, soy-based oils are better for biodiesel...

Yeah, and Chinese food is SO much better for us.

So we could say...

Hippies profit from fat people like oil companies profit from SUV drivers.

Alternative fuel users, like biodiesel, for instance, should have to pay TWO dollars a gallon in increased taxes to subsidize the petroleum industry. This will help EVERYONE by lowering the cost of fuel across the board for EVERY American. Besides, that's MY agenda and I say so, that's why.

Not sure why I'm rising to another of your trolls, but I must point out that we all subsidize petroleum already. And most biodiesel users I know of are using virgin oil, not waste from fryers, but those who do use fryer waste are turning a liability into an asset, as I'm sure you know. And biodiesel could be much more viable if we used different feedstocks, since soy doesn't yield as much oil per acre as several other crops could, many of them on land that's marginal for food crops.

And lowering (petroleum) fuel prices does not help everyone; it leads to more pollution, more global warming, and more waste. Your analysis is selfish and short-sighted. There was a time when Americans thought about their children and their grandchildren when making plans and policies, but you are only thinking about today (and/or about trying to get my goat).

treedweller

There was a time when Americans thought about their children and their grandchildren when making plans and policies, but you are only thinking about today (and/or about trying to get my goat).

treedweller

I dunno, I think ParrotRob is what my wife would call a 'goat-herder'.

We, because I am in that catagory as well, are people who like to get people's goats.

It is a fun occupation actually, because people get so mad trying to get their goats back. :(:lol::(

2.99 here in Houston.  I normally cache on my motorcycle (Suzuki DL650) so it's not to bad at all.  Plus it can get me closer to caches more than a car can. -WW

I've been drooling over the DL1000s, but a little rich for my blood--for a motorcycle anyway. As a consequence, I'm looking at a KLR650. High in the in-seam and a little light on power, but 50mpg typical, comfortable, and built like a tank is what I'm hearing. More off road than on, but with 90% highway tires it'll do the trick.

In the meantime, I'm trying to unload my '82 GS1100EZ. Low 30's mpg beast that if I'm not careful will bottom out in the parking lot. :laughing: Zero to sixty times are quite fun, though. :laughing:

Not sure why I'm rising to another of your trolls

So let me get this straight.... you come in demanding that petroleum users pay a dollar tax on every gallon of fuel and then make the RIDICULOUS claim that obesity is caused by subsidized petroleum ... and ... get this ... I'M the troll, right? You have crossed the line from the ridiculous to the hysterical.

, but I must point out that we all subsidize petroleum already.  And most biodiesel users I know of are using virgin oil, not waste from fryers, but those who do use fryer waste are turning a liability into an asset, as I'm sure you know.  And biodiesel could be much more viable if we used different feedstocks, since soy doesn't yield as much oil per acre as several other crops could, many of them on land that's marginal for food crops.

And lowering (petroleum) fuel prices does not help everyone; it leads to more pollution, more global warming

Most educated people know that global warming is a myth.

, and more waste.  Your analysis is selfish and short-sighted.

And yours is ridiculous, vain and self-righteous.

There was a time when Americans thought about their children

You/re right. And then there is now, when people like you think someone else should be doing it for them through ridiculous taxes, ridiculous programs and ridiculous accusations.

Big oil makes children fat. Uh huh.

2.99 here in Houston. I normally cache on my motorcycle (Suzuki DL650) so it's not to bad at all. Plus it can get me closer to caches more than a car can. -WW

I've been thinking of getting a DL650 in addition to my SV650S; just a bit more off road capacity with that sweet 650 motor :laughing: .... until then, I just use the SV650S and just be aware of what caches might be down softer dirt roads that the SVS can't deal with and not go for those (at least at this time)

That said, I haven't bought fuel from Exxon (now exxon/mobil) since the Valdez spill, eand never will barring extreme circumstances.

treedweller

Higher taxes has never led to energy conservation (except in very extreme cases). Unfortunately the one thing that would work doesn't exist, yet. There is no mass produced low energy alternative to gasoline.

OT: The low gas price = fat children argument is the same as the McDonalds = fat children argument.

You left out "in this country." Europe and other parts of the world pay much more for fuel and use much less of it. Sure, that's partly because they often have narrow streets that make big trucks less viable, but also they use efficient diesels more often and ride bikes, walk or take public transportation.

The obese children thing is just one example of how Americans foolishly waste fuel with unfortunate side effects. Surely you wouldn't deny there are several more available.

treedweller

You assumptions are wrong. I didn't leave out "in this country". What I did leave out was to specifiy higher gasoline tax.

Your assumption that higher gas prices means less consumption and narrow streets mean less big trucks on the road is wrong. You are right about the reason for smaller vehicles being taxes, but not because of the tax on gasoline. Its because of the road tax or tax on the size of the vehicles engine. A larger engine means a more expensive vehicle.

As for fat american children vs thin european children, that has more to do with diet than transportation choices.

In Southern California regular gasoline has topped $3 per gallon.

Those of you who honestly feel that oil companies OR government regulators deserve additional unearned enrichment, please feel free to send a voluntary donation to the petroleum exec or bureaucrat of your choice - every time you fill up. And kindly leave the rest of us alone.

For the moment, I will probably cache from my bicycle - and leave the truck locked in the garage to prevent thieves from stealing the gas.

You assumptions are wrong. I didn't leave out "in this country". What I did leave out was to specifiy higher gasoline tax.

Your assumption that higher gas prices means less consumption and narrow streets mean less big trucks on the road is wrong. You are right about the reason for smaller vehicles being taxes, but not because of the tax on gasoline. Its because of the road tax or tax on the size of the vehicles engine. A larger engine means a more expensive vehicle.

As for fat american children vs thin european children, that has more to do with diet than transportation choices.

Funny, I just read a lot of posts where people said gasoline prices have affected their geocaching. Recent news reports have focused on people who cancelled driving trips because of high gas prices. I see quotes in the newspaper from people who are consolidating errands and planning trips more carefully to reduce use of fuel. Seems to me gas prices have a big effect on conservation, and they are still pretty low compared to other parts of the world.

I suggested another $1 in taxes on fuel (not gasoline, I might point out), but a simpler and more sensible approach would be to remove the subsidies that fuel corporations receive and let the market reflect the true cost. Either way, if the US would get serious about fuel alternatives now instead of paying lip service, we'd be far better prepared to weather the storm as petroleum supplies begin to dwindle while world demand skyrockets.

Good point about the big vehicle=more expensive argument, tho. Unfortunately, the difference between registering my Ram 2500 and my wife's TDI beetle is chump change (in TX, anyway). Again, if we were serious, it would cost hundreds of dollars to register a large vehicle and tens of dollars to register a fuel miser.

And, though I do believe people's willingness to drive everywhere rather than walking is a factor in our obesity epidemic, I never suggested it's the only reason for the problem. As you and others said, it's largely people's diet and,more importantly, the flat-out laziness (of which too much driving is a symptom) of far too many americans that are most at fault. But no need to thank me for the free gift of a diversion to deflect obvious flaws in your arguments.

treedweller

Many countries outside the U.S. base automobile registration fees on engine displacement. That's probably better than basing it on size and weight, since light cars with big engines still waste plenty fuel, while one can learn to save fuel with heavy cars with small engines.

Our roads and highways are heavily subsidized by taxes, yet people completely neglect that fact. The amount of land and resources required to build and maintain them is likely more inefficient compared to rail, water, and air transportation.

I don't see oil and car companies proactively providing resources for maintaining roads. Are taxpayers subsidizing their profits? :D

Looks like treedweller is trying to promote "lifestyle change," kind of like a domestic version of "regime change." How else can he explain the obesity argument in his posts? B)

It's not going to be easy. B)

Funny, I just read a lot of posts where people said gasoline prices have affected their geocaching. Recent news reports have focused on people who cancelled driving trips because of high gas prices. I see quotes in the newspaper from people who are consolidating errands and planning trips more carefully to reduce use of fuel. Seems to me gas prices have a big effect on conservation, and they are still pretty low compared to other parts of the world.

I doubt that the majority of Americans are changing their driving habits. At least I havn't noticed a reduction of the number of people on the roads in my area. Maybe its different where you are. Has the number of people on the road this labor day been released yet? Maybe someone can find where this info is and post a link to it. It would be interesting to see if more or less people were on the road this labor day as compaired to past labor days.

I suggested another $1 in taxes on fuel (not gasoline, I might point out), but a simpler and more sensible approach would be to remove the subsidies that fuel corporations receive and let the market reflect the true cost.  Either way, if the US would get serious about fuel alternatives now instead of paying lip service, we'd be far better prepared to weather the storm as petroleum supplies begin to dwindle while world demand skyrockets.

Why should government even get involved. All government ever does it mess thing up. If people are happy with gas prices they will continue to buy gas. Once the prices get to the point where people are truely unhappy then they will seek out anternatives. Only then altenative fules and alternative energy will become marketable.

Good point about the big vehicle=more expensive argument, tho.  Unfortunately, the difference between registering my Ram 2500 and my wife's TDI beetle is chump change (in TX, anyway).  Again, if we were serious, it would cost hundreds of dollars to register a large vehicle and tens of dollars to register a fuel miser.

In fact it will work better than any fuel tax. See budd-rdc post, he explains it better than I did.

And, though I do believe people's willingness to drive everywhere rather than walking is a factor in our obesity epidemic, I never suggested it's the only reason for the problem.  As you and others said, it's largely people's diet and,more importantly, the flat-out laziness (of which too much driving is a symptom) of far too many americans that are most at fault.  But no need to thank me for the free gift of a diversion to deflect obvious flaws in your arguments.

treedweller

I doubt that the majority of Americans are changing their driving habits. At least I havn't noticed a reduction of the number of people on the roads in my area. Maybe its different where you are.

Traffic is certainly no lighter in the DC area. If anything, it's gotten worse in the past couple of weeks (kids back in school, parents back to work, etc).

I just spent 47.00 to fill my gas tank...that has seriously cut into my geocaching funds. I think we will all be affected in even worse ways to come. And ive had to cut down on my geocaching and my national mapcorps stuff.

all im waiting for now is for the price of diesel fuel to go up significantly enough to affect the over the road truck drivers.

regards

archie

$2.20 a gallon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess it will have gone up in the last few days, but here in the UK we are now paying over $10 a gallon! :huh:

(converted from £ to $ at todays rate)

NOW you know why Brits and Europeans have smaller cars! :huh:

Not to minimise the problem, but I think maybe you forgot to knock off 20% for the fact that a UK gallon is 25% bigger than a US gallon.

That said, even $8 for a US gallon would be pretty eye-watering for most Americans.

I was in Luxembourg this weekend, where they have the cheapest gas in the EU. 1.16 Euros per litre, which works out around $5.30 per US gallon. In France we're closer to $6.60. My guess is that the UK's probably around $7 (a pound a litre, $1.80 to the pound, 3.8 litres to the US gallon).

Also, the numbers sound slightly worse than they are because the dollar is low. If the dollar went up it would appear that the difference was less, even after accounting for the fact that the price in Euros or sterling would go up (because of the higher cost of raw materials which are sold in dollars) - because the majority of the price of a litre of fuel is duty, which is in local currency.

None of which changes the fact that gas is expensive. But isn't that what most Europeans voted for when their various governments ratified the Rio treaty about 15 years ago? (It was the Tories who signed Britain up to it, too!)

What's nice about filling up at $2.69 and not being able to go anywhere because if you do you'll have to pay $2.99 (or $2.97 at the cheap station) to fill up again? I haven't been caching since the beginning of the month. I have to use my gas sparingly...to work and back and nothing else. Not a lot of fun just sitting around the house.

Of course, I'm getting my Halloween decorations ready for next month... :D

I just recently gave up my car altogether... Of course that was more of a practical consideration considering I am now in New York City where having a car is pretty ridiculous. Sadly, having no car has impacted my caching. There are few caches in Manhattan and despite a great public transit system within NYC borders, getting out of the city to the more open spaces where the better caches are proves very difficult with no car.

Thankfully I'm not here in NY much longer... just came out here for a quick job before I head back to So. Cal. where I will definitely have my car and be able to head out and actively cache again.

I hope it goes like in the UK. Getting the SUVs off the road will be safer for me and my motorcycle. And by the way gas is a finite natural resource not a commodity. Some day it will run out. The US Dept of Energy estimates 2060. It is just selfish not to try to conserve some for our grandkids.

But to answer the question no it will not effect my caching. My motorcycle gets great mileage. Maybe it will as I get larger numbers and have to go a longer distance to cache.

I hope it goes like in the UK. Getting the SUVs off the road will be safer for me and my motorcycle. And by the way gas is a finite natural resource not a commodity. Some day it will run out. The US Dept of Energy estimates 2060. It is just selfish not to try to conserve some for our grandkids.

But to answer the question no it will not effect my caching. My motorcycle gets great mileage. Maybe it will as I get larger numbers and have to go a longer distance to cache.

So our grandkids can do what with the oil we saved? Refine it to gas up their SUVs. I don't think so.

Anyhoo, ever since Hawaii started this gas cap thing they have had the highest gas prices in the nation. It hasn't affected my caching but it has affected how I buy gas. They change the cap weekly and announce the new cap price about a week ahead of time. So if the price is going to go up I make sure to top off that weekend. If it is on it way down I'll hold off on buying gas until the price goes down.

And by the way gas is a finite natural resource not a commodity. Some day it will run out. The US Dept of Energy estimates 2060. It is just selfish not to try to conserve some for our grandkids.

Oil will never run out. No commodity in human history ever has. When oil gets scarce enough, we will already have developed alternatives.

If oil is $200 a barrel, it starts to become worthwhile to develop lots of energy sources, from fuel cells charged by nuclear-generated electricity through to wind, solar, tide, and wave power, plus I'm sure lots of stuff we haven't thought of yet.

The papers and TV news are filled, every day, with stories of how phenomenon X (disease, commodity prices, etc) might cause us all to die horribly. They always seem to overlook that humanity is pretty good, not just at identifying problems (we could do that even without journalists in most cases), but in coming up with solutions to them. Perhaps it's stupidity, perhaps "they" just like scaring us because we'll keep watching or reading. But I suspect it's the cause of a lot of unnecessary depression.

And by the way gas is a finite natural resource not a commodity.  Some day it will run out.  The US Dept of Energy estimates 2060.  It is just selfish not to try to conserve some for our grandkids. 

Oil will never run out. No commodity in human history ever has. When oil gets scarce enough, we will already have developed alternatives.

If oil is $200 a barrel, it starts to become worthwhile to develop lots of energy sources, from fuel cells charged by nuclear-generated electricity through to wind, solar, tide, and wave power, plus I'm sure lots of stuff we haven't thought of yet.

The papers and TV news are filled, every day, with stories of how phenomenon X (disease, commodity prices, etc) might cause us all to die horribly. They always seem to overlook that humanity is pretty good, not just at identifying problems (we could do that even without journalists in most cases), but in coming up with solutions to them. Perhaps it's stupidity, perhaps "they" just like scaring us because we'll keep watching or reading. But I suspect it's the cause of a lot of unnecessary depression.

Welll said.

Oil will never run out.  No commodity in human history ever has.  When oil gets scarce enough, we will already have developed alternatives.

Don't be ridiculous. You may be right that technology will advance to keep us driving, but petroleum is nevertheless a finite resource, and it will run out. Unless, that is, you are suggesting we will suddenly find a replacement and absolutely stop using it (which amounts to the same thing).

What many people fail to realize is that petroleum is used for a lot more than powering engines. Chemical pesticides and fertilizer? petroleum. Tires? rubber, yes, and . . .petroleum. That plastic wrapper containing a plastic insert holding a plastic whatsit? all petroleum. Those "support our troops" stickers and magnets and flags? plastic--i.e., petroleum. In fact, plastic is probably a bigger waste of oil than humvees, given the ubiquity of plastic and the relative rarity of hummers.

The papers and TV news are filled, every day, with stories of how phenomenon X (disease, commodity prices, etc) might cause us all to die horribly.  They always seem to overlook that humanity is pretty good, not just at identifying problems (we could do that even without journalists in most cases), but in coming up with solutions to them.  Perhaps it's stupidity, perhaps "they" just like scaring us because we'll keep watching or reading.  But I suspect it's the cause of a lot of unnecessary depression.

I'm with you there. What galls me most is the news teasers during commercials ("Something in your bathroom could kill you instantly! We'll tell you what at 11!"). These shows are in the business of attracting viewers, and reporting is an afterthought, at best. I stopped watching them years ago, and now it seems shocking to visit my family and realize they still watch this crap without any apparent awareness of being manipulated into unnecessary fear.

But the planet is getting more and more crowded, and I believe we are going to have to change our lifestyle at some point in addition to whatever gains we may see from technology. No more "I bought a bunch of cheap plastic toys at the dollar store" to stock caches, for example. For that matter, "Made in China" should equate in our minds with "lots of oil was wasted getting this throwaway garbage to my door." Higher CAFE standards would be nice, but we have a lot of other changes to make if we are going to maintain a sustainable society in the future.

treedweller

Oil will never run out.  No commodity in human history ever has.  When oil gets scarce enough, we will already have developed alternatives.

Don't be ridiculous. You may be right that technology will advance to keep us driving, but petroleum is nevertheless a finite resource, and it will run out. Unless, that is, you are suggesting we will suddenly find a replacement and absolutely stop using it (which amounts to the same thing).

What many people fail to realize is that petroleum is used for a lot more than powering engines. Chemical pesticides and fertilizer? petroleum. Tires? rubber, yes, and . . .petroleum. That plastic wrapper containing a plastic insert holding a plastic whatsit? all petroleum. Those "support our troops" stickers and magnets and flags? plastic--i.e., petroleum. In fact, plastic is probably a bigger waste of oil than humvees, given the ubiquity of plastic and the relative rarity of hummers.

Oil isn't a finite resource. It is renewable. We just happen to be using it faster than it can be renewed. In the areas that we are currently getting our oil from it is getting harder to get to because we have to go deeper to find it. However there are areas that have large amounts of oil close to the surface but hasn't even been tapped yet.

Don't be ridiculous. You may be right that technology will advance to keep us driving, but petroleum is nevertheless a finite resource, and it will run out.

That's not ridiculous, it's simple economics. But because you don't seem to understand the way he put it, maybe this page will make it easier for you to understand.

Don't be ridiculous. You may be right that technology will advance to keep us driving, but petroleum is nevertheless a finite resource, and it will run out.

That's not ridiculous, it's simple economics. But because you don't seem to understand the way he put it, maybe this page will make it easier for you to understand.

The laws of economics don't apply to oil because the US Government welfares the oil companies in the US. If the laws of economics did apply we would be paying what the UK does.

It is also good to know so many people have crystal balls that allows them to see how long it will take for viable alternatives to be developed.