Gas Prices Impacting Your Geocaching?

Absolutely!! I think the idea of going to ten hour days for two weeks as a temporary market move, would be perfect.

BUT it is not politically correct to ask that be done. Then all those delivery companies, and retail businesses would have 20% loss.

You subtract one place, and it gets added another way. That extra gasolene cost is not disappearing into a bank savings account for oil executives.

oh i feel so sorry for you all....

NOT!!!!!!!!!!

in the Uk we are paying about £1 per litre, or about $2 per litre. so that would be over $8 per gallon.

and your moaning about $2.20!!!!!

have you ever thought of getting cars with better fuel econemy? we dont drive 6 litre engined trucks cos they cost too much to run. a 2 litre engine can be just as powerful if built properly.

NOT!!!!!!!!!!

in the Uk we are paying about £1 per litre, or about $2 per litre. so that would be over $8 per gallon.

have you ever thought of getting cars with better fuel econemy? we dont drive 6 litre engined trucks cos they cost too much to run. a 2 litre engine can be just as powerful if built properly.

well:

1) I think some of our refineries may supply some of the european industries, so just wait for the price "tidal wave" to hit there too.

2) Better fuel milage BECAUSE you have many diesel transportation engines, that polute a whole lot more, than the petrol (gasolene) engines that are sold here. Better fuel milage BECAUSE the safety equipment we have is more heavy on vehicles, thus reducing milage. I would love to import a higher MPG vehicle to the USA, but I can not due to these factors.

Solution: A hybred diesel engine (like the Toyota Prius, only diesel) that has Lithium Ion batteries (to charge them with house electricity over night), and that is covered with solar panels. Maybe get 250 MPG, and burn Vegitable Oil instead of just petrol.

NOT!!!!!!!!!!

You try driving one of those little chunks of crap 2500 miles and then report back to us 'merkans.

Oh wait, that's right...

the fuel prices have hit us. a lot harder than you. thats why we pay 5 times more than you.

i fail to see "how you can say drive a heap of crap 2500 miles".

i fial to see how you could moan about a 2 litre BMW. which will do over 40 mpg. and will be a lot more comfortable than a big lumbering truck..

ive driven 10,000's of miles per year, and could do it very comfortably in a 2 litre or less car. and thats on UK roads that are a lot faster then ones in america.

and i think a 1.4 diesel will pollute a lot less than a 7 litre petrol. in fact i know it does as we pay tax based on the pollution levels.

and why is it an american truck with a 5 litre engine can barely make 200HP, when british manufactuers can get more than that out of a 1.6 engine.

the only difference is your safety equipment is you have a bigger drivers airbag, as less people wear seatbelts in america. so need a bigger bag.

EURO NCAP safety tests are more stringent than USA equivilents.

and i speak from experience, as my family live in north america, and drive north american cars. which i have driven.

i will stick to my european comfort thank you. find me a better built american car than a BMW, mercedes or audi and i will buy one. but not until then.

One solution is a shorter work week.  Go from five eight-hour days to four ten-hour days and cut the fuel needed to communte by 20%.  Many companies could easily to that.  That would save fuel.

...or do they not want to cut fuel use?

At face value, it seems like a viable solution especially based on Federal Reserve touting our productivity gains in the recent past.

Unfortunately, some sectors can't afford to take the time off. It seems the thread you started on driving slower for better fuel economy is even more relevant now. <_<

the fuel prices have hit us. a lot harder than you. thats why we pay 5 times more than you.

i fail to see "how you can say drive a heap of crap 2500 miles".

i fial to see how you could moan about a 2 litre BMW. which will do over 40 mpg. and will be a lot more comfortable than a big lumbering truck..

ive driven 10,000's of miles per year, and could do it very comfortably in a 2 litre or less car. and thats on UK roads that are a lot faster then ones in america.

and i think a 1.4 diesel will pollute a lot less than a 7 litre petrol. in fact i know it does as we pay tax based on the pollution levels.

and why is it an american truck with a 5 litre engine can barely make 200HP, when british manufactuers can get more than that out of a 1.6 engine.

the only difference is your safety equipment is you have a bigger drivers airbag, as less people wear seatbelts in america. so need a bigger bag.

EURO NCAP safety tests are more stringent than USA equivilents.

and i speak from experience, as my family live in north america, and drive north american cars. which i have driven.

i will stick to my european comfort thank you. find me a better built american car than a BMW, mercedes or audi and i will buy one. but not until then.

In the 1970s, Mercedes sold us the now-legendary diesels and turbo diesels, which were super-reliable and fuel efficient for their weight.

Currently, the "demand" in the U.S. is for overweight, too-much-luxury, self-indulgent Mercedes with more flash, less substance. I'm jealous of the 5 speed stick, cloth seat, 4 cylinder Mercedes that can comfortably drive on the Autobahn at 120 mph that you refuse to sell us, but it's our fault for not demanding them. <_<

I love how people justify driving an SUV. The family doesn't fit... My parents raised 4 of us and drove a Granada and a Horizon. I've crammed 6 people in a Chevy Nova (1980's Corolla type). Ok, 5 of them were drunk at the time but they still fit! Can't drive in snow, ice, etc.... I drove a rear-wheel drive Mustang during college. I'd drive home to Minneapolis and back to Fargo on glare ice with the freeway closing behind me and never went in the ditch. Passed many 4x4s in the ditch though! I even delivered pizzas with the car all winter one year. I've been driving Mazda Proteges for 10 years now in MN and the fact that they haven't been 4-wheel drive hasn't been an issue (the lack of ABS in the first one I had didn't help any on the greasy first snow a few years ago, 4x4 wouldn't have helped). Don't know if anyone has mentioned this or not but Ford Escape does come as a hybrid now.

With 3 small kids, we all won't fit in anything smaller then our mini van. Try getting all those carseats, which are required by law, into a small car. I'd love to have a car/vehicle that got better gas mileage, but it is unthinkable with a family of 5.

And yes, the price of our gas might not be as high as other countries, but to go from under $2 a gallon to almost $4 a gallon in a matter of days, it is greatly affecting our entire lives. My husbands pay hasn't gone up any, but everything else has.

With 3 small kids, we all won't fit in anything smaller then our mini van. Try getting all those carseats, which are required by law, into a small car. I'd love to have a car/vehicle that got better gas mileage, but it is unthinkable with a family of 5.

And yes, the price of our gas might not be as high as other countries, but to go from under $2 a gallon to almost $4 a gallon in a matter of days, it is greatly affecting our entire lives. My husbands pay hasn't gone up any, but everything else has.

welcome to how things are in the rest of the world. especially here in the uk.

as for these hybrid cars, what a waste of time. they only get about 40 miles to a UK gallon (4.5 litres)

there are pleanty of normal cars that do a lot more than that.

one of our cars will do 65 to the gallong no probs.

Yes, gas prices are affecting my caching. I used to run out for any new cache within 20 miles, and now I cache only when I can get at least 10 on a single trip to an area (unless the cache is with 5 or so miles). I work only part-time right now (because the job marked sucks almost as much as gas prices), and my $20 got me just over a third of a tank.

So, I know that people will argue the SUV thing to the bitter end - you will be hard pressed to convince someone driving an Escalade (one of the most hideous things I have ever seen) or a Hummer that they are "wrong." But the bottom line is that as a society, Americans think they need WAY more than they actually need. Don't believe me - ask someone trapped in LA or MI right now what they really NEED, and you won't hear anyone say "an SUV."

Don't get me wrong, SUVs have their place - and in my opnion, that place is for people who actually go offroad. Cachers would actually be a subsection that would use SUVs to their full potential. But, you don't need an SUV for grocery shopping. Minvans have been branded as "dorky" so now no one wants to drive one - even though they are better suited to family driving than SUVs are (and better mileage, too).

And, unless you are performing active duty, NO ONE needs to be driving a HUMMER - given the state of our economy, it's just about sinful.

At 3.50 a gallon as of this morning, my caching is on hold outside of my small radius.

March 1, 2005 - $1.79

March 31, 2005 - $2.10

June 1, 2005 - $2.38

Aug 24, 2005 - $2.49

Sep 2, 2005 - $3.12

Ouch!!

(steepness of increase really hurts the 'ol pocketbook)

My Jeep Liberty is 4 wheel drive and classified as an SUV. I only go offroad 2 -3 times a year but it is nice knowing I can. Plus need the room for 2 car seats and the wife and I plus room for lugguage when we travel. I drove a small foreign car and aside from nice mileage - there isn't much nice I can say about it.

So, I know that people will argue the SUV thing to the bitter end - you will be hard pressed to convince someone driving an Escalade (one of the most hideous things I have ever seen) or a Hummer that they are "wrong." But the bottom line is that as a society, Americans think they need WAY more than they actually need. Don't believe me - ask someone trapped in LA or MI right now what they really NEED, and you won't hear anyone say "an SUV."

Don't get me wrong, SUVs have their place - and in my opnion, that place is for people who actually go offroad. Cachers would actually be a subsection that would use SUVs to their full potential. But, you don't need an SUV for grocery shopping. Minvans have been branded as "dorky" so now no one wants to drive one - even though they are better suited to family driving than SUVs are (and better mileage, too).

And, unless you are performing active duty, NO ONE needs to be driving a HUMMER - given the state of our economy, it's just about sinful.

The original Ford Explorer was one of the catalyst for the SUV hype. Car manufacturers figured out how to avoid mileage and safety regulations by repackaging trucks into a station wagon/mini van.

Of course, marketing departments promoted the "new genre" of vehicles by implying some sort of lifestyle upgrade by buying one of them. (You, too, can be a rugged outdoorsman!) Nevermind the fact that only few of the SUVs at the time were good enough for real offroading.

As consumer demand got more blind, the SUVs got bigger. :laughing:

Too bad the tripling of oil price is finally waking people up. By seeing how the SUVs are used on the roads around here (no passengers, no hauling, shiny without a scratch, driven aggressively), I'm not sure if there's a real solution in the near future without more pain to our lifestyle and the economy. ;)

I lived in Sun Valley, ID for almost eight years. There were very few four-wheel-drive vehicles up there at the time. Every one bought studded snow tires for the winter and drove their cars sensibly on the snow-covered roads.

Now these obscene behemoths, just as you describe (no passengers, no hauling, shiny without a scratch, driven aggressively) are owned by all the well-to-do people here in Southern California where there is really no need for four-wheel-drive.

So, I know that people will argue the SUV thing to the bitter end - you will be hard pressed to convince someone driving an Escalade (one of the most hideous things I have ever seen) or a Hummer that they are "wrong." But the bottom line is that as a society, Americans think they need WAY more than they actually need. ...

Yes, well "need" is a relative term, isn't it. You might say that I don't need an SUV, and I might say that you don't need to go geocaching. Everything is a matter of priorities.

Don't believe me - ask someone trapped in LA or MI right now what they really NEED, and you won't hear anyone say "an SUV."

I'm not sure about the folks trapped in Michigan ( :laughing: ), but if the folks in N'awlins had SUVs, many of them wouldn't be trapped now.

Yeah, I drive a Grand Cherokee (far from the largest SUV) with a V-8, and yeah, I do take it off-road. Last weekend I drove the New London Turnpike all the way through the Carolina Management area. Try doing that without some serious off-roading!

And yeah--the gas prices are really starting to hurt. Two nights ago I drove from Newport to Pawtucket to go to a ball game. $13 round trip! I could have bought two more beers at the game for that much! (If you thing gas is expensive, try buying beer at a baseball game.)

With gas prices getting very close to $3.00 per gallon in central Florida I can no longer justify going out, just to go on a caching run. Maybe catch a few every now and then on the way home from work. But then I kinda feel guilty because my caching partner is my son and he is in school when I get off from work @ 8:00 in the mornings, and I don't want him to miss out.

Too bad the tripling of oil price is finally waking people up. By seeing how the SUVs are used on the roads around here (no passengers, no hauling, shiny without a scratch, driven aggressively), I'm not sure if there's a real solution in the near future without more pain to our lifestyle and the economy. :laughing:

My Suburban has plenty of trail scars, worn proudly. I've taken it places not designed for a looooong wheelbase vehicle and have only gotten myself stuck a couple of times.

I can't fit my Saxophones in our Jeep (yes, I have a small vehicle too) and also couldn't fit them in the Honda Civic we used to own. Sure, there are vehicles between the Jeep and Suburban size, but I like it. They are a very comfortable truck to drive and have been around for what, 90 years? Suburbans are the ORIGINAL SUV's, not some mid-1990's fad that's gone on too long.

I'm not sure about the folks trapped in Michigan ( wink.gif ), but if the folks in N'awlins had SUVs, many of them wouldn't be trapped now.

Yeah, that's pretty sad for the librarian, who was typing that while at work, rushing, and those darn "M" states get me everytime!!

I certainly don't mean to villify everyone who owns an SUV - but it's pretty well-known that I am hippy-esque liberal. I just wish more people would use common sense. I have a very close friend who bought a gigantic Surburban - seats 7 - and he has one child. He could plead he needss it for his construction job, but he has a giant truck for that... so, I don't see the point, except that it's a "status" thing. Which, hey, hippy or not, I am also a girl who likes the ocassional status symbol - so couldn't you just buy a BMW to tote around your one child?

As for the people trapped down there without an SUV, the majority of the people trapped down there are too POOR for any reliable vehicle, it would seem.

In terms of caching, I have found that my vehicle is woefully inadequate (absolutely NO ground clearance), so if I ever get a real job, I am thinking about a Baja - which is indeed an SUV in the truest sense of the word. But I at least would be toting the kayaks and the bikes and the hiking gear (and cache containers!) and going where my current car cannot take me.

With gas prices getting very close to $3.00 per gallon in central Florida

We live in Orange County (south central Indiana). Gas was $3.29 here in Orleans yesterday (at 3:30pm -- at 11:30am it was still only $2.79, a 50¢ jump in just 4 hours!). On the bright side, it went back down to $3.18 this evening. :laughing: When my husband went to fill up, they said they dropped the price because no one was buying any gas. :P

On the other hand. . .

My SIL manages a gas station in Paoli and their delivery truck only filled their tank halfway today. They may start rationing tomorrow.

And a station in Bedford (in the next county north of us) was out of gas yesterday. It was in the paper this afternoon.

:huh::sad::laughing:

Edited by Daphne of Mysteries Inc.

In terms of caching, I have found that my vehicle is woefully inadequate (absolutely NO ground clearance), so if I ever get a real job, I am thinking about a Baja - which is indeed an SUV in the truest sense of the word. But I at least would be toting the kayaks and the bikes and the hiking gear (and cache containers!) and going where my current car cannot take me.

One reason I went with Jeep is that they are American-made. I must admit, I wasn't thinking about fuel economy. Fortunately, my commute to work is less than two miles, so my gas money is spent on GEOCACHING...WOO-HOO! I think I'll go right now!

One solution is a shorter work week. Go from five eight-hour days to four ten-hour days and cut the fuel needed to commute by 20%. Many companies could easily to that. That would save fuel.

Quoting myself... :laughing:

We've implemented this at work. We fixed it so only 20% of the force is off at a time and these are among those where a reduction will not affect operations. Our work is about the amount of work that can get do over a period of time, not the amount of work that can get done right now.

We'll see how it goes.

One reason I went with Jeep is that they are American-made.  I must admit, I wasn't thinking about fuel economy. 

Nice to see that the German Company Daimler-Chrysler still manufactures some models in America. Then again, so do Toyota and Honda.

I've been trying the 55 mph experiment to see how it affects my mileage. Its really hard on a 16-lane highway when you have to travel in one of the left lanes to get to your exit. People zooming past you on both sides. But it's kind of a power-trip too :laughing:

One reason I went with Jeep is that they are American-made.  I must admit, I wasn't thinking about fuel economy. 

Nice to see that the German Company Daimler-Chrysler still manufactures some models in America. Then again, so do Toyota and Honda.

I've been trying the 55 mph experiment to see how it affects my mileage. Its really hard on a 16-lane highway when you have to travel in one of the left lanes to get to your exit. People zooming past you on both sides. But it's kind of a power-trip too :laughing:

If want to further help your MPG and you have a tachometer, learn to use it. When accelerating treat it like a speedometer, don't go over a certain RPM. Stomping on your gas pedal to accelerate (aggressive driving) will send your engine racing and kill any MPG gain you may get from driving at a constant speed.

They hit $3.09 a gallon here today and rumor abounds of $4.00 per gallon by the end of the week. Yes, it impacts my caching for sure. So for now I plan to take the bus to work 4 out 5 days and then do some caching on my time off. All errands are better planned now.

Edited by kattrax

On Wednesday gas prices were $2.69 for regular. By Wed evening prices went up to $3.05 (In a period of 4 hours) Wednesday night, gas stations started to ration gas, a $20.00 limit. And all the stations started pre-pay. By 8:00 PM on Wednesday, the gas stations that had fuel left where holding up the people waiting to pump so that they could raise the price. Gas then went to $3.29 for regular. With the $20.00 limit you could only get approx. 6 gallons, so people had to go to multiple stations to fill up. Most gas stations in the area ran out of gas and werent able to get any until Thursday. The local Oil Company sent 7 trucks to Knoxville to get gas and only 3 came back.

The good news, today gas went down to $3.05 for regular and they say it should be below $3.00 within the week.

For now my geocaching activities have been halted but I plan to do some soon.

You guys have better gas prices than I do in my neighborhood in MD. Here it is $3.49-$3.64. Price gouging?????

Although I have not fully starting geocaching due to the heat, school, and work (excuses, excuses) I won't pick it up anytime soon, at least ones where one has to drive a distance. Hopefully the prices go down by fall/winter or I will have to give up before I even get started!!

Edited by geolands

It's my personal belief that the prices are higher in California because "THEY" can get away with it. 0% of Gulf oil comes here and 0% of our oil goes there.

Back to geocaching - it doesn't affect my efforts at geocaching. The prices have gone up 30 to 40 cents per gal. I commute and drive about 800 miles a week. My extra cost for that week equals about two McDonald's meals. I can do without a couple of McDonald meals but I can't do without my geocaching. ;)

Yeah...using Japanese parts.

Jeeps have a very high percentage of parts made in the USA. And they are perfect for GEOCACHING. (Gotta mention geocaching now and then.)

Nice to see that the German Company Daimler-Chrysler still manufactures some models in America.  Then again, so do Toyota and Honda.

Jeeps have a very high percentage of parts made in the USA. And they are perfect for GEOCACHING. (Gotta mention geocaching now and then.)

Yes on Jeeps, but only the Rubicon is truely nearly prepared for offroad conditions. It still needs to be lifted some, and better tires placed on it.

Before it can go Geocaching!!

Nice to see that the German Company Daimler-Chrysler still manufactures some models in America.  Then again, so do Toyota and Honda.

Yes on Jeeps, but only the Rubicon is truely nearly prepared for offroad conditions. It still needs to be lifted some, and better tires placed on it.

Oh, I guess I better stop taking my stock non-rubi on those ATV trails in the woods.

Shoot. Probably wouldn't believe some of the places we took a bone-stock '72 Commando with 70 series street tires. ;)

$3.10 here in Ohio the gas company's are going to lower the price in a long time so that we feel like were getting a break. They may not be making money now but they will be soon. they will lower the price to $2.75 and nobody will care wheras before if it was $2.50 we were screaming they are slowly boiling us so we don't notice.

I think the long term effect of price hikes on something fundamental to our economy like petroleum is inflation, so in the end, prices will just be higher overall, unless the Federal Reserve or "market forces" can find ways to lower prices on other fundamental stuff like food, water, and taxes.

Not likely.

In the short to medium term, though, "THEY" are going to make gobs of money before inflation kicks in and increase labor and production costs.

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May!

The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it and join with us!

By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $2.75 for regular unleaded in my town.

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50-$1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace.... not sellers.

With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas!

And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.

How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year, DON"T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do!! Now, don't wimp out on me at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to about thirty people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers!

If those three million get excited and pass this on

to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!! Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people and DON"T purchase ANY gasoline from EXXON and MOBIL. That's all.

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make a difference.

If this makes sense to you, please pass this

message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK

PS...It is my understanding that Exxon/Mobil has not paid one penny of their fine from the Exxon Valdez oil spill which caused millions of damage to both the ecology and the economic well-being of the people in the area. Just another good reason to strike them where it hurts!

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May!(snip)

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK

Americans should be paying at least another $1/gallon in fuel taxes to encourage conservation of resources and reduce pollution. Artificially reduced prices on fuel have led to obese children getting driven to all their activities by parents in low-mileage vehicles who couldn't care less that they are hastening the downward spiral toward a world petroleum crisis.

That said, I haven't bought fuel from Exxon (now exxon/mobil) since the Valdez spill, eand never will barring extreme circumstances.

treedweller

Edited by treedweller
This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May!

The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it and join with us!

By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $2.75 for regular unleaded in my town.

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50-$1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace.... not sellers.

With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas!

And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.

How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year, DON"T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do!! Now, don't wimp out on me at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to about thirty people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers!

If those three million get excited and pass this on

to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!! Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people and DON"T purchase ANY gasoline from EXXON and MOBIL. That's all.

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make a difference.

If this makes sense to you, please pass this

message on.

PS...It is my understanding that Exxon/Mobil has not paid one penny of their fine from the Exxon Valdez oil spill which caused millions of damage to both the ecology and the economic well-being of the people in the area. Just another good reason to strike them where it hurts!

The don't buy gas on certain days doesn't work because people just buy gas on another day. That does nothing to hurt the gas companies. What needs happen is people need to stop using any gas for that day, and that isn't going to happen either.

Most boycotts like the one you suggest fail. I don't see how you can get the large number of american that you need to stop buying gas from one particular company.

As long as people are willing to buy gas at the price that it is being sold at, then gas prices will not come down. It will continue to climb until it reaches a point that people start to buy less gas. Unfortuentely most Americans feel that they can't live without the freedom a car with a tank full of gas gives them. For example, the number of cars on one of the Hawaiian islands just recently passed the number of people on the island! Luts just hope that most people don't think that gas is worth it's weight in gold, because gold is over $400/oz now. :huh:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May!(snip)

Americans should be paying at least another $1/gallon in fuel taxes to encourage conservation of resources and reduce pollution. Artificially reduced prices on fuel have led to obese children getting driven to all their activities by parents in low-mileage vehicles who couldn't care less that they are hastening the downward spiral toward a world petroleum crisis.

That said, I haven't bought fuel from Exxon (now exxon/mobil) since the Valdez spill, eand never will barring extreme circumstances.

treedweller

Higher taxes has never led to energy conservation (except in very extreme cases). Unfortunately the one thing that would work doesn't exist, yet. There is no mass produced low energy alternative to gasoline.

OT: The low gas price = fat children argument is the same as the McDonalds = fat children argument.