Gas Prices Impacting Your Geocaching?

Someone should make a custom google map with all the gas stations and their prices for each state/County, etc.

I would be willing to do one for the gloucester county area, with people sending me the GPS coordinates and info for each station.

Format it like this Example

---------

Station: Some Station Name(Like Texaco, Shell, etc)

Price: Regular $x.xx

Mid $x.xx

Premium $x.xx

County: Gloucester

---------

I can make custom google maps, but I would need the data to plug into for the marker locations. This way people can locate the best prices for the areas they are going to be caching in.

As an automotive employee, I have to say gas prices do not affect purchasing decisions or driving habits for most people. For those that do, we offer Hybrids, PZEVs, and other interesting products. Unfortunately, good old gasoline is still the cheapest form of propulsion (BTU per Pound Cubic Foot Dollar).

Also consider that depending on how your electricity is created (coal, hydro, etc), it could be more costly or damaging to the environment than you think.

If you want cheap gas, go here... Never fails.

Yeah, my LandRover still costs over $40 to fill, even here in Wyoming where I'm only paying $2.06 for mid-grade. It get's me all sorts of neat places that would scrape the underbelly off of a passenger car.

I took a '96 Land Rover Discovery for a "test drive" yesterday. Beautiful vehicle and love all the extras. I put 5 gallons in at $2.36 a gallon and didn't get very far! It's back at the lot.

One thing that can help is if a group of cachers in your area all make a few new caches to stir the area's "new" cache listings, so that you don't have to drive 30+ miles to get the closest cache you haven't seen already. Gas hasn't taken an impact on us per se, but you have to take into effect that one you find some many caches in one region, a long drive is inescapable to get to another cache you haven't found. This gas problem many be more confined to people with many local finds, or people without many local caches.

Heck yeah it's effecting my caching!

Actually this is my first summer in TX as a cacher and I can see now that it's gonna be the off season for me.

The gas down in Alvin TX is at 2.64 (super premium crap) my car says that's what is has to have.

Oh and the heat....well that's why I spend most of my days in our pool!

My first summer caching was in the Bay Area and the next two summer were in the beautiful cool PNW.

This is the least I've cached since I stared back in March of 2002.

oh how I long for fall and lower gas prices.

Pepper

Everytime I fill up my 1995 K1500

What is a K1500?

What is a K1500?

I have a K1500 suburban 4wd. There are also K1500 pickup trucks. To answer this tread though....

I dont take the suburban to many cache hunts these days unless they happen to fall along the path of where we are going. I take my 4 banger pickup.

Since we have to drive a little to cache now, the most recent rise is prices is definitely effecting us. I mean I know to the folks in CA, $2.50 a gal for the cheapie grade probably sounds decent. But to those that live in one of the lower cost fuel states, it's getting to be too much. It usually was $18-20 to fill up my car. Now it's $30!

Edited by AtlantaGal

They haven't affected me, since I drive a diesel ;)

Actually, I've been paying $3.40/gallon for awhile. But I get a far superior product: biodiesel. And if you take into account the subsidies, the hidden costs, and the wars, you all are probably paying at least as much. Now if I could just figure out how to get back the money I've dumped into keeping your prices low . . .

But I'll keep paying the high price of BD; the feeling of driving without contributing to the trade deficit, without sending a soldier to the Middle East, and without pulluting the air is worth the difference. Not to mention the reduction in wear and tear on my engine, and the boost to American farmers, and the improved exhaust smell, and . . . well, nobody wants to get me started on biodiesel.

treedweller

:P Welll, I think about not going out caching BUT I go anyway - drive a diesel truck (have horses - could you'all in ittybitty cars tow a trailer?) and it costs $60+ to fill BUT I do get great mileage for a big vehicle. Anyway there are plenty of caches within a reasonable distance so I combine hunting with errands.
They haven't affected me, since I drive a diesel  :P

Actually, I've been paying $3.40/gallon for awhile.  But I get a far superior product: biodiesel.  And if you take into account the subsidies, the hidden costs, and the wars, you all are probably paying at least as much.  Now if I could just figure out how to get back the money I've dumped into keeping your prices low . . .

But I'll keep paying the high price of BD; the feeling of driving without contributing to the trade deficit, without sending a soldier to the Middle East, and without pulluting the air is worth the difference.  Not to mention the reduction in wear and tear on my engine, and the boost to American farmers, and the improved exhaust smell, and . . . well, nobody wants to get me started on biodiesel.

treedweller

You're killing just as many things, just in different ways. Or did you think all those plants and animals gave up their fat so you could make your fuel WILLINGLY?

Then again, maybe the plants feel better about being killed after you've hugged them first.

I think I'll chop a buncha trees down this weekend. With a chainsaw. A GAS powered chainsaw :P

:P

Edited by ParrotRob

As a kid (17) it was sometimes possible to get regular for 17 - 19 cents a gallon. I drove a volkswagon and only used Ethyl (there was regular, ethyl, premium) since I had a free credit card. Yeah, yeah, I know. I would fill my 10 gallon tank for $2.50. One month I drove everybody I knew all over the place and spent $32.00 in gas. I thought I was going to get killed. I was almost right. <_<

Gas just went up here and I am almost out again. Last time I filled up it was $55.00. I'm wondering what it will cost this time. '99 Ford F150 4x4. I don't know what my mileage is since I never checked it. I really don't want to know.

I'm new to caching so I can't say it has changed what I do but I'm certainly not taking my truck when I go from CA to MT next month! I'm caching around town for now but I'll be heading out of town into the hills soon and I really don't care what it will cost in gas. It's a healthy hobby that gets me off of my butt and out of the house walking around. It's worth the cost of the gas.

When I lived in Italy the Lira/Liter for unleaded converted to anywhere from $4/gal to $5/gal and it never effect my american driving style. So I know I'm good to go until at least $5/gal.

Ironically, I heard on the news on the way home today that analysts expect gas to cost over $5.00 a gallon some time next year and oil to cost over $80 per barrel.

Oh, and channel eight in Dallas had a story about this.

I'm paying at least $2.89 a gallon for REGULAR here in San Francisco (with some stations at $3.09 for REGULAR)! The prices are ridiculous. Glad I'm driving a more fuel efficient Mazda than my former Mustang. :blink:

I don't let the price get in the way of my caching. I just plan my routes, park in one place and make a big round trip out of it. Walking/hiking is much better for you and the environment anyway.

You're killing just as many things, just in different ways.  Or did you think all those plants and animals gave up their fat so you could make your fuel WILLINGLY?

Then again, maybe the plants feel better about being killed after you've hugged them first.

I think I'll chop a buncha trees down this weekend.  With a chainsaw.  A GAS powered chainsaw :blink:

:P

WTF? Who said anything about killing? I'm talking about taking domestically produced oil, turning it into a fuel that burns clean and gets its energy from the sun (I don't use fuel from animal fat--by coincidence, not design), and using it to fuel my vehicle. The result is a boost to farmers, a cleaner environment, less transportation costs, less reliance on foreign imports, and no money in the pockets of Big Oil corporate honchos who are more interested in making money for themselves than in conservation or environmental preservation.

Oh, wait, maybe that was a reference to the killing that goes on in wars. A straw man, IMO, since I don't try to disavow responsibility for the actions of my government, even when I disagree with them, and that will continue to be true regardless of how I fuel my vehicle.

And, as you might guess from my screenname, I use a gas-powered chainsaw almost daily, but I use it as little as is practical and I use it to improve the health of the urban forest here (thus further improving air quality). But if you want to post childish replies to try and get my goat, more power to ya.

treedweller

Edited by treedweller

You're killing just as many things, just in different ways.  Or did you think all those plants and animals gave up their fat so you could make your fuel WILLINGLY?

I think I'll chop a buncha trees down this weekend.  With a chainsaw.  A GAS powered chainsaw :o

:D

WTF? Who said anything about killing? I'm talking about taking domestically produced oil, turning it into a fuel that burns clean and gets its energy from the sun (I don't use fuel from animal fat--by coincidence, not design), and using it to fuel my vehicle. The result is a boost to farmers, a cleaner environment, less transportation costs, less reliance on foreign imports, and no money in the pockets of Big Oil corporate honchos who are more interested in making money for themselves than in conservation or environmental preservation.

It's too bad that, despite your best efforts, you're actually causing more harm than good, no?

They haven't affected me, since I drive a diesel  :D

Actually, I've been paying $3.40/gallon for awhile.  But I get a far superior product: biodiesel.  And if you take into account the subsidies, the hidden costs, and the wars, you all are probably paying at least as much.  Now if I could just figure out how to get back the money I've dumped into keeping your prices low . . .

But I'll keep paying the high price of BD; the feeling of driving without contributing to the trade deficit, without sending a soldier to the Middle East, and without pulluting the air is worth the difference.  Not to mention the reduction in wear and tear on my engine, and the boost to American farmers, and the improved exhaust smell, and . . . well, nobody wants to get me started on biodiesel.

treedweller

You're killing just as many things, just in different ways. Or did you think all those plants and animals gave up their fat so you could make your fuel WILLINGLY?

I think I'll chop a buncha trees down this weekend. With a chainsaw. A GAS powered chainsaw :P

:o

Ignore the troll and his angst-ridden post. He seems to think that Struggle Against Violent Extremism is all about Oil. That biodiesel is non-polluting. And that everyone likes the smell of french fries. ;)

Hawaii will put a cap on gas prices. Looks like gas will be capped at $3/gal on Sep 1st. Some people say this cap will actually drive prices higher.

I wonder how long a state-imposed cap will last when the wholesale price of gas exceeds the cap and gas stations would have to operate at a loss.

Or am I missing the bigger picture?

Gas prices aren't going down and almost certainly will continue to rise considerably in the next few years.

You're killing just as many things, just in different ways.

:D

WTF? Who said anything about killing? I'm talking about taking domestically produced oil

Actually, the carbon-based life forms from which oil is derived died millions of years ago. They weren't necesarilly killed to produce oil, rather, they were put to good use after they died. Kinda like soylent green.

:o

Does the price of milk impact how much bread you buy?

If you spend more money on one thing, you'll probably not spend so much on things that are unessential. I'm in an area of the country where gas isn't skyhigh, but you've got to deal. Two years from now gas may be at $5 a gallon. And we'll look at what we're paying today and wish we hadn't taken it for granted.

I'll just sit right here, snug in my chair, until they perfect hydrogen powered cars. And the world is powered by nuclear energy :D .

Since my employer willfully pays for all my gas....I'm pretty much unaffected by all the hoopla.

I do however feel your pain.

Well, not really, but I do feel guilty about burning free gas chasing ammoboxes around the desert.

Ok, thats not true either, but there was this one time that I needed gas and my fleet card wouldn't work at the pump so I had to actually pay cash and put it on my expense report. It kinda sucked, until my expense account check showed up then it didn't suck as much.

Since my employer willfully pays for all my gas....I'm pretty much unaffected by all the hoopla.

I do however feel your pain.

Well, not really, but I do feel guilty about burning free gas chasing ammoboxes around the desert.

Ok, thats not true either, but there was this one time that I needed gas and my fleet card wouldn't work at the pump so I had to actually pay cash and put it on my expense report. It kinda sucked, until my expense account check showed up then it didn't suck as much.

Wow, I envy you.

Actually I don't.

Actually that's a lie I do.

Actually gas prices are lower in my area than the rest of the country so I don't care, so I lied. :D

The price of gas is going to effect my caching. It's a game. I like it alot, but I'll wait until I get a concentration in an area that I haven't gotten yet OR combine caching with another activity that takes me close to a cache.

I'm bummed.

'Course I recall when the experts said the NYSE would NEVER rise above 400. And oil get above $25/barrel. I'm not thinking ANYTHING.

I wonder how Exxon justifies a 10 billion dollar increase in its profits this year? (projected)

ParrotRob makes me laugh. I love how he gets you guys all riled up. I'm not sure which is funnier, what he says, or that you let his comments actually get to you. :)

Hippies. :rolleyes:

I love how the eco-car drivers think they are making the world a better place. Like your 30+ MPG car is going to make up for all the poor people who can't afford a hybrid car in the first place. You think Dick and Jane down the street who make $22K a year are going to fork out the money for a brand new mirco car to help the enviroment? No, they are just hoping that the cost of electricity and natural gas don't skyrocket this winter so they can afford a few Christmas gifts.

Get off your high horses.

ParrotRob, keep up the good work. :)

Oh, and gas is down $.10 here to $2.59/gal for the cheap stuff. :)

The price of gas is going to effect my caching. It's a game. I like it alot, but I'll wait until I get a concentration in an area that I haven't gotten yet OR combine caching with another activity that takes me close to a cache.

I'm bummed.

'Course I recall when the experts said the NYSE would NEVER rise above 400. And oil get above $25/barrel. I'm not thinking ANYTHING.

I wonder how Exxon justifies a 10 billion dollar increase in its profits this year? (projected)

Oil companies don't have to justify the extra profits in the market economy. They will simply point you to their quarterly and annual reports.

Keep in mind that oil and gas exploration expenses are deductible on the 1040, so we won't get very much windfalls as tax payers. So let's hope they are spending the extra $$ on making their exploration and refining processes more efficient.

You can draw your own conclusions on the consequences if they are doing this out of sheer greed. :rolleyes:

I drive a Subaru Outback because is has AWD, high ground clearance, good cargo space, (if you like a truck bed try the Subaru Baja), great roof rack (with many options for bikes, canoes, and luggage etc.) rubber floor mats, bug deflector, tow package, and on-and-on. It is an SUV in a wagon package. I have taken mine on many hard core mountain roads, sugar sand trails, and flooded dirt roads and have never been stuck. :D All of this with gas mileage almost as good as a Honda, in fact it gets better gas mileage then my wife’s 2001 VW Beetle (she now has an Outback Sport). I know jeep is a sponsor, but Subarus rule! :o

I wouldn't necessarily say gas prices have effected just caching, they have effected everything travel related. Just a year and a half ago I was paying $14 to fill up my fuel efficient (30+mpg) 4 banger and it now cost $30. Thats more than doubled and the price of fuel is just going to keep going up. I've read that by years end we will be seeing gas prices close to $3 per gallon here in the N. East

Public transportation is no cheaper here. When I took the train to work it cost $220 a month and was a major inconvenience. Four hours of my day was dedicated to commuting. What would be a 15 minute car ride turned into a 2 hour commute each way :D

ParrotRob makes me laugh. I love how he gets you guys all riled up. I'm not sure which is funnier, what he says, or that you let his comments actually get to you. :D

Hippies. :o

I love how the eco-car drivers think they are making the world a better place. Like your 30+ MPG car is going to make up for all the poor people who can't afford a hybrid car in the first place. You think Dick and Jane down the street who make $22K a year are going to fork out the money for a brand new mirco car to help the enviroment? No, they are just hoping that the cost of electricity and natural gas don't skyrocket this winter so they can afford a few Christmas gifts.

Get off your high horses.

ParrotRob, keep up the good work. :D

Oh, and gas is down $.10 here to $2.59/gal for the cheap stuff. :D

Thanks, Mike. I will name a tree in my backyard in your honor. Then I will chop it down for no good reason.

By the way, it cost $61.01 to fill my truck this morning, and I have no earthly clue what the price per gallon was. I needed gas, and that's that.

And as for Exxon "justifying" a $10B profit increase this year, to whom do they need to justify it? It's called capitalism and a market economy. If I have something you need and you need it bad enough, I can charge you whatever I bloody well feel like charging you - when you stop buying, I'll lower my prices again. Until then, I will charge whatever the market will bear.

Maybe gas wouldn't be so expensive if the oil companies didn't need to make 97 different blends and formulas to satisfy all the hippies out there.

Here's something to think about, in relation to our market economy and petroleum:

Wal-Mart and Dollar Store items are shipped across oceans by tankers and cargo planes, then distributed by trucks.

Crude Oil themselves are shipped by super tankers powered by.... petroleum.

I'm waiting for legitimate research studies that specifically take factors like these into account. :lol: