Gas Prices Impacting Your Geocaching?

...  Not to mention the fact that my SUV saved my life when I tangled with a drunk driver.  ...  I am willing to pay a few extra dollars each time at the pump.  ...

You hit on the exact reason that we have two SUVs. In fact, I've been seriously considering trading my WJ in for something larger.

Just so you know: The occupant death rate in crashes per million SUVs on the road is 6 percent higher than the death rate per million cars.

Interesting . . . And, the only single-car rollover accidents I have seen in recent years have been SUVs.

On my way across snowy Nevada last November, my Toyota Matrix did just fine. :laughing: However, I drove past an SUV in the ditch that some people were trying to pull out with a jeep.

...  Not to mention the fact that my SUV saved my life when I tangled with a drunk driver.  ...  I am willing to pay a few extra dollars each time at the pump.  ...

You hit on the exact reason that we have two SUVs. In fact, I've been seriously considering trading my WJ in for something larger.

Just so you know: The occupant death rate in crashes per million SUVs on the road is 6 percent higher than the death rate per million cars.

I get your point, but the odds of dying in a Honda Civic hybrid if struck at interstate speeds head-on by a half-ton Chevy pickup-driving drunk approaches 100%.

Interesting . . . And, the only single-car rollover accidents I have seen in recent years have been SUVs.

On my way across snowy Nevada last November, my Toyota Matrix did just fine. :laughing: However, I drove past an SUV in the ditch that some people were trying to pull out with a jeep.

I don't have actual stats, but from experience there are far too many SUV owners who don't know how to drive them. The majority of the SUVs in ditches has to do with owners thinking they're invincible. 4WD doesn't mean you can drive quickly on ice, in the rain, in a snowstorm, etc.

All this said, the OP was whether the gas prices have affected your geocaching. My answer would be no as I don't really go geocaching enough for it to affect me one way or another. If geocaching didn't exist I probably wouldn't be hiking at all, however.

I get your point, but the odds of dying in a Honda Civic hybrid if struck at interstate speeds head-on by a half-ton Chevy pickup-driving drunk approaches 100%.

The NHTSA lists both the 05 silverado and 05 civic at 5 stars for front impact driver. For the passenger, the silverado only gets 3 stars and the civic gets 5.

5 stars = Full-width frontal crash-test rating categories: Chance of life-threatening injury

Less than 10% chance

The NHTSA lists both the 05 silverado and 05 civic at 5 stars for front impact driver. For the passenger, the silverado only gets 3 stars and the civic gets 5.

5 stars = Full-width frontal crash-test rating categories: Chance of life-threatening injury

Less than 10% chance

The speed at which that test is done is 25 mph against a stationary barrier. This is quite different than two vehicles approaching one another at speeds of 70 mph each.

Sure, but that's just one type of accident. When you combine the data for all types of accidents, it turns out that SUVs are not safer than cars, and actually they are slightly less safe. They have an advantage in crashes with smaller vehicles (usually the people in the smaller vehicle get killed), but on the other hand they roll over much more easily than cars, and rollovers are often deadly.

Im a male in the rural South, so of course I had to sign a contract saying that when I got my licence, I would only drive big pick ups! :laughing:

Seriously, my big pickup can get me placesthat cars cannot go, and 20 mpg aint THAT bad. It did make me sweat a little the first time I filled it up (after driving a nissan pickup of years) to see the gas dial go past 20...30...40...45.!!! I get around the same gas mileage, but a bigger tank. I fill up the tank less often, but it just seems like sooooo much more cause Im spending it @ one time!

Gas around here has been moving 'twen 2.05 and 2.20. Im driving 80 miles one way tomorrow do a caching excursion...

Gas here in the Central Valley levels around 2.39/gal. Diesel is about 2.49/gal. My Ram 2500 used to be my geocaching machine but paying 80 bucks at the pump to fill that Cummins :laughing: vs. about 30 bucks to fill my Honda Accord :anibad: , my Honda suits me a tad bit better! B)

S

Sure, but that's just one type of accident. When you combine the data for all types of accidents, it turns out that SUVs are not safer than cars, and actually they are slightly less safe. They have an advantage in crashes with smaller vehicles (usually the people in the smaller vehicle get killed), but on the other hand they roll over much more easily than cars, and rollovers are often deadly.

I'd rather trust my driving to save me from a rollover, rather than to trust the drunks.

$2.20 a gallon?  Wow, you're lucky!  My car takes premium which puts me out roughly $2.80 a gallon out here. ;)

There, now I'm done complaining before all the Europeans chime in and tell us how much more it costs them. B)

Chime !! Chime !!

2 plus Bucks a gallon !!!!!!! you lot don't know your born !!!!

B)B):D:D:D

A gallon of unleaded over here ( Liverpool, England ) comes out at just under $9.00

:PB):PB)

Kelsey's Nuts

Chime over....... B)

OT: I love the people who buy SUVs around here for "bad weather."....

Case in point; We had a bad ice/snow storm on a Saturday night, our church usually has around 500 people in it, only about 35-40 came. When we went outside after Mass, there was only one SUV in the bunch!!!! All passenger cars except for 2 vans. Irony.

Oh well, back to the topic. I have always tried to keep my car trips down to minimum levels mostly for environmental reasons, but will continue due to costs.

Amazing what you can get done on a bike!

The gas price doesn't affect me at all. My bike runs on my energy, but my knees are killing me. I'm riding all over town, at least 5 miles a day. Yesterday I was out for 4 hours and rode 11 miles, plus climbing up hills to get to caches.

Gas here (San Diego, CA) is somewhere around $2.35 I think.

thats what i use sometimes. regular gas is upward of 2.40 $ a gallon here in CT

No, but it does cost more. And I'm not driving a Honda either. I figure that when gas hits about $5.50/gal, then it will begin to hurt. Then I might have to purchase a Honda. I know that Honda's get really wonderful gas mileage but which one gets the bestest? That's the one that I will want because that way I can continue caching when gas hits $5.50/gal. Always gots to have a plan and I has gots me a plan. Life is good. :lol:

Edited by Team Cotati
I'm still all confused about this. Gas is a commodity.

If ground beef suddenly jumped from $2.99 a pound to, say, $349 a pound, would you look for alternative food?

That's a pretty big exagguration, so I'd imagine yes, most people would look for an alternative food.

Regardless, with gas there's the environmental factor. Yeah, yeah, I know - lots of people don't care. Well, that's pretty stupid of them, but whatever.

I have to gas up my Liberty again today, I am in fear of what that pump is going to say. :lol:

I have an Apple powerbook running Tiger OS X, for all of those that may run this and do not know, there is a Gas Widget that does a search and reports the lowest price within a specified search radius. Believe it or not, it says there is a station not far from me with gas for $1.99 a gal/ regular. I'm going there!!!!! ZOOOOOM! :D

Edited by Protein

Gas here in Belgium is about 1.12 Euro to the Liter. That is about 4.23/Gal. I stopped the at 100 Euro the other day, as I filled up my '95 Explorer. With the current exchange rate that equals about $123.00. I wish I could fill up for the prices you are complaining about. As it goes I use my Explorer when my wife goes geocaching with me, which is about half the time.(She is the primary driver.) I use my Mercedeces the other half of the time.

We don't have many logging roads, but the farmers roads in between the fields are very muddy with the constant rain. I use both vehicals, and go where ever I want. The explorer is 4x4, and the car is not. I rarely use the 4 wheel drive on the Explorer prefering to use my brains to figure out how to get around, or through an obstical. The only advantage to the truck is the higher clearance.

As far as people needing 4x4 for snowy mountain roads, I have been all through the Alps, in many diffrent countries. Most of the vehicals that I see are cars. There are a few Land Rovers, BMW SUVs on the road but those are the exception not the rule.

First, I just saw the price at the corner gas mart at $2.45 / gallon on the way into work.

Second, anyone who has done extrication at a crash scene before will tell you (as a general rule), bigger is better.

I will agree, however, that too many people who drive big vehicles don't know how to drive said vehicle.

Gas here in Belgium is about 1.12 Euro to the Liter. That is about 4.23/Gal. I stopped the at 100 Euro the other day, as I filled up my '95 Explorer. With the current exchange rate that equals about $123.00. I wish I could fill up for the prices you are complaining about. As it goes I use my Explorer when my wife goes geocaching with me, which is about half the time.(She is the primary driver.) I use my Mercedeces the other half of the time.

We don't have many logging roads, but the farmers roads in between the fields are very muddy with the constant rain. I use both vehicals, and go where ever I want. The explorer is 4x4, and the car is not. I rarely use the 4 wheel drive on the Explorer prefering to use my brains to figure out how to get around, or through an obstical. The only advantage to the truck is the higher clearance.

As far as people needing 4x4 for snowy mountain roads, I have been all through the Alps, in many diffrent countries. Most of the vehicals that I see are cars. There are a few Land Rovers, BMW SUVs on the road but those are the exception not the rule.

My exploder takes about $95.00 Canadian to fill, I'm not worried yet. The increase only means it costs me 5.00 more a tank.

Gas prices are a problem, but not as bad a problem as Europe!

We in the USA would be stranded if we had their prices!

Country general stores would come back because no one could afford the

gas to drive 20 miles to Walmart!

Peak Oil will be the death of Walmart. It will be the death of surburbia.

For those waiting for gas prices to drop. Dream on. They aren't. They'll only continue to climb, with the occasional slight downward shift. Next year expect to be paying another $0.60 per gallon. In five years, expect to be paying close to $4.00 per gallon.

World demand has outstripped supply. And it's only going to get worse, folks. You old folks don't need to give a hoot, but your kids are going to be in for a rough ride.

(For those expecting some form of miracle technology to save humanity and the planet. The days when a miracle technology could save us are rapidly diminishing. The research window is disappearing, and strangely, oil lobbies are trying to stymie research in alternative fuels.)

Lots more could be said on this. Just do a Google search on Peak Oil. There's lots of research out there on this.

Nope, can't say it's stopping me at all really. I drive an SUV too. But I knew it was a gas guzzler when I bought it, but it did what I needed it to do and then some. I still drive it everywhere I need to go.

Rising gas prices... just the "cost of doing business" to me.

Cache on! :blink:

I don't give a rat's beehind what they pay for a gallon of gas in England or France or Germany or Poland or Canada or Australia or Ireland or Romania..... ;)

Oh sorry, I thought this was a general geocaching forum not a USA only one. I shall go back to the UK forums then. At least we get a higher quality of whineing there :D

I just feel a little guiltier about geocaching now. I was planning on doing a complicated multi-cache involving a lot of driving around town but decided I would hold off on that for a while

Geocaching is still lots cheaper than some diversion like playing golf.

I just feel a little guiltier about geocaching now. I was planning on doing a complicated multi-cache involving a lot of driving around town but decided I would hold off on that for a while

Geocaching is still lots cheaper than some diversion like playing golf.

why wait? go and place it i mean it's not like gas prices are going to come down.

may aswell enjoy oursleves.

and as regards mr" i don't give a rats arse." well you sum yourself up nicely and more eloquently than i could.

the only thing affecting my geocaching right now is the HEAT....!!!!!...i wear jeans long sleeve shirt and boots when i go into the woods..and id die or at least feel like it in this 100 degrees....so i am hitting easy to get to mostly micros so i can wear shorts tank and sandals....

gas prices will come down after summer like it does every year...they always seem to jack up the prices around major travel times....

but of course around here they do the same with water prices in the summmer....they say conserve conserve conserve, water level in aquafer is down..so everyone conserves then the next bills the water rates are raised because now the company isnt making money on you with conserving...you cant win...

and as far as suv vs cars...my mother will not ride in a car...only a large vehicle...she feels safer...

i would walk to caches if i could but none are really close enough to do that...the two i have walked to have been found obviously by me and thats it...no more nearby without driving a few miles to......

so when the "peak travel times" passes by i am sure the gas prices will come down....

and my opinion on gas:....had we still been able to dig and pump our own oil here in the states like what was going on in the 80s then im sure the gas prices wouldnt be so high....

now someone mentioned hydrogen cars...those are the cars that run on water right??....well theyll just jack up the price of water to fill it up...

so you cant win...

oh weellllllllll

wanda texas

I drive a full size 4wd pickup and the wife drives a suv and were not going to change cause of the price of fuel....I like my creature comforts I bust butt all week long not to play on the weekend.... yes there is no reason for the price hike and there are other engines that get great mileage it's a way there trying to keep people home and broke.... :rolleyes: