Are You Free Tuesday, July 19th?

Moun10Bike

I have been contacted by the author of an upcoming book with a working title of Other Americans: underground, overground, off the grid that profiles groups of people who get together regularly to do interesting, strange, dangerous, or downright bizarre things. For some reason, he thinks that geocachers qualify! :anibad:

His desire is to join a "field trip" of 10-12 number of geocachers. He envisions a "light expedition that would avail our 2 photographers and myself, a writer, of all that makes geocaching so splendid and addictive. Since the book is a pictorial, photo opps are very important, and a range of geocaching phenomenon is desired."

After some discussion, the following criteria were determined for the outing:

• Date of Tuesday, July 19
  • A group of "mixed experience levels so the story is not heavily skewed to the pros"
  • Distance to trailhead less than 2 hours from Seattle
  • Total hiking time of less than 5 hours
  • Less than 500 feet of elevation gain

I have committed to this outing and thus am looking for 10 or 11 others who have that day free and would be able to join us on the expedition. Given the need for mixed experience levels and a relatively small group size, I may need to be selective in who attends. That said, who is interested, and does anyone have any ideas for a good place to take them that "would avail our 2 photographers and myself, a writer, of all that makes geocaching so splendid and addictive?" :rolleyes:

Thanks!

*cough* *cough* (I wish, job's too new to call in sick to go caching)

Technically isn't the Ebey Bluffs trail head less than two hours from Seattle? The elevation gain would be less than 500 feet or pretty close to it. Scary Ladder would be fun as well. If you want to give them the whole

interesting, strange, dangerous, or downright bizarre experience.

I don't want to sound negative (even though that's the way this is going to be taken), but it sounds like this is more of a piece on hiking with a little geocaching thrown in.

Of the 5 criteria, only one is about the caching/cachers...and one is the date. The other 3 are about hiking.

What about the fabulous "drive by" view caches that a group os us did last Saturday? Vertago View was by far the most spectular 'view' for pictorial opportunities I've experienced even though the day was not blue and sunny (yes, I know there are also views on the tops of mountains available from hikes I haven't been on), but the point is it doesn't have to exclude non-hiking caches. We had a blast driving all over the hills last Saturday. And what do you know...we even did some walking as well... :lol::rolleyes:

And what about cache machines? Event Caches? CITO events? Maybe not the greatest 'views', but sure a lot better for 'photo ops' if you ask me.

I guess it's just my opinion that todays cachers are a lot more diverse and that "all that makes geocaching so splendid and addictive" is more than a five hour hike.

gets off my reinforced soap box, puts it away, and goes to hide under LandRovers rock... :anibad:

This sounds right up my alley! I've been at this a year and have met some really cool people that keep me hooked on this. The group events I've been a part of (both the "official" ones like the Cache Machines and the CITO event, and the informal ones like yesterday's trek to the Ape Cache) have been highlights for me.

Anyways...I'm stuck at work (in Federal Way) until 10:30 a.m., but if this adventure happens to start after that I'd love to tag along.

Of the 5 criteria, only one is about the caching/cachers...and one is the date. The other 3 are about hiking.

There's no requirement for hiking. I simply asked for suggestions that met the criteria listed. These criteria came about through my discussions with the author to determine the maximum time output/physical effort to which he and his crew could commit given their schedules, equipment requirements, etc. We could do all drive-bys if that's what the group wanted.

My first suggestion to the author had been Ebey Bluffs and Whidbey Island, but he nixed that as he felt it was too far to go. He might not realize how easy it is to get to Whidbey, but I think we may want to stick to "mainland" caches.

I don't want to sound negative (even though that's the way this is going to be taken), but it sounds like this is more of a piece on hiking with a little geocaching thrown in.

What about the fabulous "drive by" view caches that a group os us did last Saturday? Vertago View was by far the most spectular 'view' for pictorial opportunities I've experienced even though the day was not blue and sunny (yes, I know there are also views on the tops of mountains available from hikes I haven't been on), but the point is it doesn't have to exclude non-hiking caches. We had a blast driving all over the hills last Saturday. And what do you know...we even did some walking as well... :lol::rolleyes:

And what about cache machines? Event Caches? CITO events? Maybe not the greatest 'views', but sure a lot better for 'photo ops' if you ask me.

I guess it's just my opinion that todays cachers are a lot more diverse and that "all that makes geocaching so splendid and addictive" is more than a five hour hike.

gets off my reinforced soap box, puts it away, and goes to hide under LandRovers rock... :anibad:

I think you read the conditions wrong. These are limitations not must do.

Date of Tuesday, July 19

Reporter has a deadline to meet.

A group of "mixed experience levels so the story is not heavily skewed to the pros"

Wants a full range to look to report from.

Distance to trailhead less than 2 hours from Seattle

This is a maximum distance and doesn't mean it has to go that far.

Total hiking time of less than 5 hours

Again a maximum and it doesn't have to go that long.

Less than 500 feet of elevation gain

Again, a maximum... The reporter is out doing his job and is already carrying gear with him which means s/he doesn't want to work too hard just to get a story out on us.

M10B did ask for ideas and there were no exclusions of non-hiking caches that I can see with these conditions. So based on that, vertago is a good suggestion. Cache machines are not because of the timing and the duration. Event caches don't work out with this either again because of the timing.

Sorry all. I knew I was being a little sensitive and inflammatory in my reply. It's been a bad week. I appologize to all and specifically to M10B.

M10B did ask for ideas and there were no exclusions of non-hiking caches that I can see with these conditions. So based on that, vertago is a good suggestion.

Thanks.

Cache machines are not because of the timing and the duration.

True, and it was just an example.

Event caches don't work out with this either again because of the timing.

Oh, with M10B organizing it...I bet one could be arranged. :rolleyes:

The criteria suggest a max nine hour day. The presence of photographers (professional, I presume) suggests that the outing should include some scenic, or at least interesting, terrain and locations.

I don't know how much the author's intent can be steered, but I suggest that an attempt be made to show him a bit of what Geocaching is really like. Large group hunts are not the norm and shouldn't be presented as the way it's usually done. So I think at least part of the day should be just one or two cachers doing their thing.

If I wanted to show someone as much as possible of what Geocaching is about in one day, here's what I would try to include.

One or two high value (scenic/interesting) hikes, less than two hours each, round trip.

A short series of urban micros, including at least one evil hide.

A short multi that includes some puzzling between the first and final stage.

A puzzle cache.

A couple of drive-up, guard-rail type caches should be easy to work into the itinerary.

Total about ten caches.

My first suggestion to the author had been Ebey Bluffs and Whidbey Island, but he nixed that as he felt it was too far to go.  He might not realize how easy it is to get to Whidbey, but I think we may want to stick to "mainland" caches.

Well according to this Ebey Bluff's fits the 2 hours from Seattle requirement. :rolleyes:

But if you want to stick with the boring mainland, then I'd suggest doing a section of caches along the Iron Horse Trail. (to include the tunnel of course)

*edited to add that I know the link doesn't go to the Ebey Bluffs trailhead, I was just trying to make a quick point*

Edited by Team Misguided

I won't be able to even ask for the time off until tomorrow, so I'll get back to you then... I would really like to do this.

Cache Suggestions:

I know.... two of these are mine, but they are two that I am really proud of.

Kelcema Lake

About an hour east of Everett. A 2/3 mike hike with only about 100 feet of elevation gain to a nice subalpine lake in the Boulder River Wilderness.

Barclay Lake Trail

Again about 40 minutes east of Everett. About a mile hike on a flat trail thru old growth forest. The cache is hidden on the trail before the lake as I thought the lake area to busy for the cache to last. Great views of the North side of Mt Baring. The place is just begging for another cache... perhaps your group could place one!

Iron Goat Trail

What can I say.... it's a Mohai cache! An hour east of Everett from near the top of Stevens Pass. A hike along the old Great Northern Railroad grade and thru abandoned snowsheds. Lots of history! Several miles of easy hiking. Hey... I did it on my own so anyone can do it! [:rolleyes:]

This one also has the advantage of two other rather easy caches being hidden near the trailhead.

Just about anything by GeoRoo or Mohai along US2 would probably also qualify!

Edited by Right Wing Wacko

Regardless of where, when, which cache, I'd love to join. I'm off work that day and can't think of anything I'd rather do. Hopefully the requirements will lend themselves to something special for the author to take away. Beautiful scenery . a unique hide , PNW geocaching hospitality !

While we can't make it, I would like to suggest that Anderson Island would make a good photo shoot as well as provide several different types of caches. We just did 14 on the Island in about 6 hours with over 50's group of four. The trip over where you have to find clues on the ferry, to the bushwackeres delight would show a deverse cache type.

My 9 year old daughter (Miss K) and I would enjoy being part of this. In terms of geocaching experience I'd say we're past the novice stage but still learning lots of new tricks all the time. If there's room still for the two of us, let us know and I'll plan accordingly. peace, fishiam

ps - What is BFH? I've read through the posts and it doesn't seem to be spelled out anywhere.

Edited by fishiam

If it hasn't been decided yet, I'd like to suggest 4 caches in the Mt. Index area which all appear to be great photography locations. I'd take the day off from work to do these. The 4 caches are within 4 miles of each other, but it appears the longest walk/hike to each is about 1/4 mile. The caches are: Mt. Baring View, What a View, Another Great View, and Vertigo View. Distance from Seattle is 56 miles, (from my place its 92 miles). Just a suggestion. If not this time, perhaps another day.

Edit: Wooops, I re-read the thread and saw where these were already suggested.

Edited by The Navigatorz

Well dang, go to Minneapolis on a business trip and the cool geocaching outings fill up before you find out about them! :D But I'd still like to be included if I'm not too late and fit any requirements. :D

Many good suggestions in this thread! The Index area view caches are very scenic, but to me they don't provide as much a picture of geocaching as something that requires a bit more GPS work. I'm only saying this because you can basically drive to them, and the hides aren't very hard - it's all about the view! Which of course would be great for the photographer, but not entirely representative of caching.

I like some of the other suggestions, about mixing a few kinds of caches, like a scenic one, an evil micro, a puzzle cache, a multi, etc. My contribution: I think Jester's Lake to Lake Micro Multi would be a great one - several clever cache hides along a scenic park route with a lake at either end.

Of course, I too would like to do BFH....altho he'd surely think us wackos after that. :D

I like some of the other suggestions, about mixing a few kinds of caches, like a scenic one, an evil micro, a puzzle cache, a multi, etc. My contribution: I think Jester's Lake to Lake Micro Multi would be a great one - several clever cache hides along a scenic park route with a lake at either end.

Thanks for the plug - your check is in the mail. :D:D:D

Along the route of Lake to Lake are a number of other caches of all levels and types - simple trad caches, evil micros, interesting puzzles, etc. Most are listed on the cache page.

Another benefit: you can have the cache hider along so you don't get skunked! :D

I have vacation, so I am open to go. If you do scary ladder, there are also several other nearby caches to hit, and you can make it there without the ferry ride. Of coarse anywhere near or on whidbey is a favorite of mine, but I'm willing to go just about anywhere the group wants. Also I'll add a suggested cache site if you want to hit just one that is a bit closer and an awesome spot. Skagit View from Craft Island http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?II...99e&LID=2123024 THERE IS A MINUS TIDE FROM 9AM TILL 2PM.

L&R's series http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...dd-a04a4ecb171f along lake Kechaless is also a possible. Easy, fun, biking with a great scenic setting, and you can get a bit adventerous with the Kechaless Crossing II cache! (I probably spelled all that wrong)

Edited by EraSeek