Has Anyone Tried These...

i found a cache container that was similar if not the same...

Flotsam was underneath a boardwalk and had a pretty steady stream of water running over it. it was archived within a couple months because it broke, but the contents were dry when i found it about a month after it was placed.

I have a similar container that I picked up at Ron Jon's in Florida. It's not underwater, but it's been out for about 2 years now with no problems. I've heard other people complain that their latches have busted and the seal doesn't work well.

I'll agree with the others. I'm not sure I'd trust it for constant submersion.

Bret

They seal against weather and temporary immersion, but will not hold up to extended submersion.

I bought several similar containers and the hinge on one I put out only lasted a few months. I have one more out there and it seems to have lasted about 4 months, but it only has a half dozen finds.

As a deep wreck diver, I can personally assure you that there is NO such thing as a waterproof container, whether the claim involves a "waterproof" camera housing, a "waterproof" container, or a "waterproof" GPS.

If you put it in the water, contingency plan for immersion because it's going to get wet.

As a deep wreck diver, I can personally assure you that there is NO such thing as a waterproof container, whether the claim involves a "waterproof" camera housing, a "waterproof" container, or a "waterproof" GPS.

If you put it in the water, contingency plan for immersion because it's going to get wet.

You're correct, of course. However, there are many containers (and GPSrs) that are waterproof to acceptable limits. One such container is the trusty ammo box. This one eventually did leak when the barnacles fouled the seal.

431616_200.JPG

Edited by sbell111

I'd previously seen that photograph and wondered whether that was cacher-created camouflage, or if it had occured naturally.

I spend a tremendous amount of time in the water both personally and professionally (I've had four in-water body recoveries over the last thirty days) and I think I have managed to flood about every imaginable electrical component that can readily be carried by hand.

GPS MILSPECs are extremely shallow, generally eighteen inches for thirty minutes max. Submerging the GPSr in a secondary "waterproof" container under a few inches of water blocks the signal reception altogether, so the GPSr is effectively useless once it leaves the surface.

Despite my interest in developing an underwater cache, I have continued to postpone the development because of the inevitable probability of a cacher locating the general coordinates above water, and then attempting to descend on the site with the GPS on their person and damage to the GPS occuring as a result.

Despite my interest in developing an underwater cache, I have continued to postpone the development because of the inevitable probability of a cacher locating the general coordinates above water, and then attempting to descend on the site with the GPS on their person and damage to the GPS occuring as a result.

Never make yourself responsible for the stupidity of others.

:rolleyes: That is one long sentence.

Never make yourself responsible for the stupidity of others.

Responsibility for the stupidity of others is the backbone of public safety, and though I would be glad to eliminate the perpetual source of funding for my four paychecks, I don't see that changing any time soon.

To return to the topic, I have seen a number of underwater caches listed that opted for continuous contents immersion from the start, or with submerged coordinates to a secondary container on dry land.

I think that submerging a dry container with an expectation that the contents would remain dry would be problematic. The cache container would eventually lose integrity at depth and flood, or water would be introduced when a cacher located it at depth. Even if the container was relocated to the surface after the find, the container would likely end up with water onboard either accidentally or through condensation as the container changes thermal layers. This is a huge problem for anyone using digital or analog cameras for underwater photography and I can't count the number of times I've descended past a hundred feet and found that the camera was useless because the air at the surface contained sufficient moisture to fog the housing a hundred feet deeper and thirty degrees cooler.

That's not to say I am completely discouraged from making a 5/5 version of Mercury Rising where cachers have to visit the U-boat crew at 130 feet to log the cache.

:unsure:

There is also the problem of retrieving the dry cache and then getting moisture inside from your hands or other things dripping into the cache before replacement. This is the same as caching in the rain - it's just a bad idea.

That's not to say that there's really anything wrong with underwater caches - just expect a lot of maintenance.

Edited by caderoux

I think the easiest way is to make your cache a 2 part multi. Have the submersible part be a laminated card with dry land coordinates on it for the cache. You would not have to worry about it as much. :unsure: ImpalaBob

I have seen a submersible multi stage with a take very similar to this ..... and it was quite a challenge to find it under 6 inches of water.

I have a couple of those buoy containers and have used them to keep my money and keys dry when scuba diving. I have been to more than 100' with one and have not had a leak yet. I know that it's not for days and weeks, but 100' of water exerts a LOT of pressure and compressed the rubber o-ring considerably, and it still worked fine.

I have a river cache using a "waterproof floating treasure chest" that I bought at the local canned foods store for a quarter. I filled it with lead weights so it would sink to the bottom. It doesn't keep all the water out, but I don't keep a log sheet. Rather, when the cache is underwater I simply add plastic letters. The finder simply report which letter they found in their log. It works.

You're correct, of course.  However, there are many containers (and GPSrs) that are waterproof to acceptable limits.  One such container is the trusty ammo box.  This one eventually did leak when the barnacles fouled the seal.

431616_200.JPG

Cool camo! :)

My thoughts exactly!

Although Nobody around my area has actually tried placing a puddle cache ( the closest thing we have is an underwater multi) There are little containers that you can buy at the dollar store, usually in the same package as a pair of swim goggles, that are designed to hold money and other valuables while you swim. They come with a string attached and are neon green so you can find it if it gets dropped. I have had no problem with them, dampness or otherwise, and you can always use the goggles as trade swag

I have a river cache using a "waterproof floating treasure chest" that I bought at the local canned foods store for a quarter. I filled it with lead weights so it would sink to the bottom. It doesn't keep all the water out, but I don't keep a log sheet. Rather, when the cache is underwater I simply add plastic letters. The finder simply report which letter they found in their log. It works.

That one must be grandfathered. 'Code word' caches are no longer approved.

Underwater containers . . . found two such in N. Charleston that were amazing. I simply could not believe they were dry inside when I hauled them in.

They appeared to be simple institutional-sized one-gallon jugs loaded with lead (& swag) to hold them down. Signed the log and tossed them back in, still grinning about it today (yes, I am easily amused).

Seems quality & value do not have to be expensive, if it works, use it - right?

GA

Edited by GRANPA ALEX
That one must be grandfathered. 'Code word' caches are no longer approved.

If by grandfathered you mean old, then no, it was approved in May of this year. It may have simply slipped past the notice of any approver since I originally did have a log sheet. But, please explain why this type of cache is illegal. Is it posted somewhere?

That one must be grandfathered.  'Code word' caches are no longer approved.

If by grandfathered you mean old, then no, it was approved in May of this year. It may have simply slipped past the notice of any approver since I originally did have a log sheet. But, please explain why this type of cache is illegal. Is it posted somewhere?

"A container with just an object or codeword for verification, and no logbook, generally, does not qualify as a traditional cache."

From the guidelines you ticked as having read and understood when you listed the cache...

You're correct, of course. However, there are many containers (and GPSrs) that are waterproof to acceptable limits. One such container is the trusty ammo box. This one eventually did leak when the barnacles fouled the seal.

431616_200.JPG

Any idea how long it would take for the barnacles to cover a container this size?

That would make for unigue camo just by breaking up the shape of it.

Try the old standard .86 cent waterproof match container from Wal-Mart. Build youself a submarine out of PVC pipe (with holes drilled in it) and insert the match container inside. The aft end of the sub unscrews. Now secure your sub to a rock or some other attachment point with a chain. I had one of these active until it was muggled.

Edited by eagletrek
Doggone it Rainwater!

Now I know what you're planning next.

Sheesh. I need to stay out of the forums for just this reason.

Bilgeratt

I was just asking about these containers because we recently got a few extra at work I was told to dispose of...but I found out why since then...they all have cracks or the o-rings leak...

its still an idea though!

There are many caches placed underwater. Garmins are waterproof. My old 3+ went swimming on several occasions, sometimes by accident, others just to get the mud off.

My eTrex has also gone swimming a few times whilst kayaking. :huh: Never missed a beat. I beleive mine is rated for 30 submersion at 6 feet or something along those lines.

Any idea how long it would take for the barnacles to cover a container this size?...

It depends on the location, but here along the southern New England coast, you will get a growth like that in one summer or less. To prevent the growth, and thereby make your cache last longer, paint the box with a good anti-fouling boat bottom paint. See West Marine for typical products.