Terrorist Strike On London

We have to remember that what we do is merely a pastime, and that we have to have a sense of humour no matter what the situation...

Perhaps you would like to remember that we should speak to each other how we would like others to speak to us.

I'm sure no offence was meant in asking about caches in the vicinity ,

more like an attempt to make this a cache related thread .

Maybe not. But a bit more thought and tact might have been in order. And if they are truly offended by what I have said then I am speechless.

We probably all know somebody who is in London today, colleagues, friends, loved ones and relatives. Sod geocaching.

It may not be directly geocaching related, but remember we are a community and as such it is inevitable that we will use this forum to reach out to our friends when things like this happen. Even if we do have handbag fights in here from time to time :D

Right....

When I wrote that, we had absolutely no news of anything here, all we knew was there had been an explosion caused by a power surge.

My comment was not intended to offend, or upset, and if they did, I apologise... At the time it was made, and with what we knew here in our office, no way could my comment offend.

Lets remember that we're adults, and if you want to come round and knock my block off fine, but please see my side that we knew very, very little at the time of writing.

I normally work in the area affected, but am at home today. All my colleagues are safe, but now stranded as there is no transport at all in London right now.

For the record, just in case anyone really is concerned, there is a cache only yards from the Tavistock Square bus explosion, but it is very well protected from events like this.

As for Police - I was in London yesterday (and by accident found myself in Trafalgar Square at the time of the Olympic announcement on the big screens) and I have never seen so many police in central London.

There were servailance vans parked all over the west end - lots of foot patrols, and near Vauxhall Bridge I saw five police response vans, each would be carrying about 10 bobbies.

People who think that the Police were not looking out for trouble need to check the facts.

My comment was not intended to offend, or upset, and if they did, I apologise...

No offence taken, by me at least. People who feel that maintaining a sense of humour in the face of death is disrespectful to those suffering have perhaps not witnessed much of it. I cringe to think of the jokes members of the London Emergency Services will be telling over their beers, once the dust has settled.

Even those of us not directly involved in these attacks will be feeling strong emotions such as anger, fear, hatred, concern; and (IMHO) humour is not an unhealthy way of dealing with these. (Though anything but sobriety in the earshot of casualties and their families would certainly be inappropriate!)

The blast locations are stations I used to use and are right on top of where I used to work. AFAIK, nobody I know was involved, but everyone in the office has been instructed to stay inside the building. So I'm certainly feeling all the above emotions right now!

Unbelieveble.

I can't believe this has happened, It was always inevitable....and to be fair (not trying to stir) but on the Al Queada scale of things this attack is relitively minor, I am happy it wasn't bigger yet still shocked and upset anything like this could happen so close to home.

I pray for anyone whose there and those waiting to hear.

Peace

People who feel that maintaining a sense of humour in the face of death is disrespectful to those suffering have perhaps not witnessed much of it.

This is CERTAINLY not what I was doing! It was a simple quip when all our local news had to say was that there had been a small explosion in lodon caused by a power surge!

At that time they said there had been no injuries, let alone deaths!!!

For those of you that would like to see something "official" about the bombing:

Police: At least 2 killed

Several near simultaneous explosions rocked the London Underground network and at least one bus during the morning rush hour today, police said. At least two people were killed and 90 injured. Officials shut down the city's underground transport network. The explosions came a day after London was awarded the 2012 Olympics and as the G8 summit was getting under way in Scotland.

First, congratulations to London for winning the bid to host the 2012 Olympics. This is the first I have heard of it as I was on holiday this weekend.

Second, my prayers are with those in London as they recover from the terrorist acts. :D

Several near simultaneous explosions rocked the London Underground network and at least one bus during the morning rush hour today, police said. At least two people were killed and 90 injured. Officials shut down the city's underground transport network. The explosions came a day after London was awarded the 2012 Olympics and as the G8 summit was getting under way in Scotland.

First, congratulations to London for winning the bid to host the 2012 Olympics. This is the first I have heard of it as I was on holiday this weekend.

Second, my prayers are with those in London as they recover from the terrorist acts. :D

Eeeeer yeah, the Olympics....

This could be interesting now...

Two members of Team S-J went down to London this morning. They were heading in different directions when they got there before 8:00AM. Once all the explosions happened they were on to each other via mobile and have met up and are both okay. Not sure what time they will be home tonight but thats hardly the point.

As for the comments made earlier. Human nature is a weird thing. Comments made in haste are often regretted later but if made with honesty at the time than only a simple apology is required rather than being lambasted.

My thoughts are with everyone caught up in these horrific incidents.

No disrespect intended. I was just commenting on both items in the brief news report. I suppose I should have said "in no particular order" but you'd probably have some snide remark about that too

No disrespect intended. I was just commenting on both items in the brief news report. I suppose I should have said "in no particular order" but you'd probably have some snide remark about that too

GPS I think you read it wrong

My CEO has just phoned in to say he is gridlocked in London fortunately not caught up in any of the incidents.

It will make absolutely no difference to the Olympics, it was 24hours too late, and on a London scale regurdless of who is to blame, it was a very minor incident, and will barely make a mention in the appendix of Londons history.

Its only real achievement will be to divert attention at the G8 from third world poverty to international terrorism... way to go terorists, another home goal!

I have now heard that my family are safe, so that's a weight off my mind. I hope the same can be said for anybody everyone who reads this forum cares about.

I don't think it will have a significant effect upon London in the long term as quite apart from the Blitz, we have had the threat of terrorist attacks on our capital ever present for the last 30 years or so. This probably will bring out the best in people, as it inevitably does.

It may however, have a knock on effect upon our hobby, as hidden boxes and suspiciously lurking people are more likely to be subject to close scrutiny than ever.

My condolences to citizens of London. I am very shattered, die in those circumstances is horrible while people has lots of plans and wishes for the rest of their lives.

Another cacher and me we were planning travel round London city only for caching, we still decided be in london in August so we can meet in some event cache.

Lluís Garrido

Edited by garri
On a caching note it is going to make placing and finding Caches in towns and city’s a little bit trickier for a few months. As everybody and his mother will be reporting suspicious activity.

Agreed! This is a difficult one - and when the immediate aftermath has settled down we need to chew this issue over.

I suggest that we, as a geo-community, need to develop robust and sensible responses to issues of perceived security worries. I do not think, oddly enough, that the police and security services themselves will have many concerns ( though they may be irritated ) because of the logged location of all caches and those that generally hide caches - but the general public is more likely to suffer (understandable) paranoia.

A sensible head on our shoulders, measured and careful responses and an open willingness to cooperate in security debate will hopefully protect the sport which we enjoy.

[ we may have to rethink the phrase ' mostly harmless ' on some caches ! ]

They are reporting over here that there are 40 dead, and up to 300 injured :D

My prayers goes out to the people who have loved ones involved in this tragedy.

This is utterly sad.

Knowing the US news networks Im surprised that you even know about it, after all, world news tends to be somewhat limited over there.

However, the casualty estimates you have been hearing are utter fiction, the last report said there were only 2 confirmed dead. however, I believe that was just in the one over ground explosion, the others are underground and there are no released figures yet.

To try and clarify things for our trans-world freinds...

....current offical figures are 3 devices on Underground trains, 1 on a bus, 2 confirmed fatalities and 150 serious injuries.

Many thanks for your thoughts......

Eckington

edit timed at 1450 hrs BST

Edited by Eckington
Won't be many police there though, they are up in Gleneagles complete with riot gear giving the real enemies a free hand.

Not true at all - despite Mr Roo being a Surrey Officer he was paged straight away and called up to assist, I am sure this is true of many of the emergency service personnel. You can bet that the emergency services will be working flat out in London and at the G8 summit.

To try and clarify things for our trans-world freinds...

....current offical figures are 3 devices on Underground trains, 1 on a bus, 2 confirmed fatalities and 150 serious injuries.

Many thanks for your thoughts......

Eckington

edit timed at 1450 hrs BST

Latest (1630hrs BST)

From the BBC:

Latest - There were three explosions on the Underground - which police said left 33 dead - and one on a double-decker bus in which an unknown number died

What a horrific day. :D

My sister was on one of the trains hit this morning as she works near Russel Square. It took us three hours to get hold of her. We really did fear the worst at one stage, but the police actually turned off the mobile network in the area as the bombs were detonated by mobile phones. This may have saved lives as I believe they found two more on buses that thankfully were destroyed through controlled explosions.

She is OK but very shaken, thank God. Saw some terrible things I think will stay with her for a long time to come.

At time of writing, 33 confirmed dead, including the possibility of children. My thoughts are with all the families concerned.

my thoughts also go out to those injured and to those families who have lost loved ones and by the way hazel and phil even if you didnt know the full news that re

mark was totally out of order and you sense of homour isnt very good prat of the year award goes to you

OK folks - many many of us have been affected to a certain extent by today's events. Hopefully all your friends and loved ones are safe and well. I know how people are feeling as my son was stuck at King's Cross at 9:15am. Fortunately he only suffered inconvenience for a few hours but the thought is still there in the back of my mind.

Could I please ask everyone to take a metaphorical "deep breath" and pause before hitting the "Submit" button. PLEASE carefully consider what you are writing and also remember that hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I would hate, especially at this time, to have to step in and start "censoring" posts or locking topics. However I shall be watching this thread VERY closely this evening and will not hesitate to act.

Thank you and apologies for playing the "heavy" but feelings are running high at the moment and I want to be extra careful.

Its only real achievement will be to divert attention at the G8 from third world poverty to international terrorism... way to go terorists, another home goal!

I think despite what many of us might think about the G8 leaders, the choice between millions of people attending live concerts in an attempt to raise the awareness of world poverty and a bunch of thugs blowing up people is a no-brainer. The millions win everytime.

Our thoughts are with all of those who may have been caught up in this tragedy and their families.

Martin & Lynn