Ftf Prize

I've found that a number of the Starbucks near me don't actually take the gift cards. Only certain ones do (yes, haha, just walk half a block to the one that does, right?) but seriously, not many in my area take them, so it might not make a great FTF gift since the person may live in a localized area that doesn't take them everywhere.

One of the best "geek in the woods" toy/tools that I've seen lately: The Forever Flashlight. Needs no batteries, works to power a capacitor with magnetic flux ala Faraday's Principle. Floats, waterproof, lightweight...

That whole website has fun/geek merchandise and you can even search for things under $20.

I like the idea of FTF prizes. The TB idea is great, I would love to find that, and come to think of it, I might just steal that idea! I thought about a Starbucks card but then realized not everyone drinks coffee. I also thought about having numbered sig coins made up in the future, the first of the series would be a good prize (but I might wanna keep it for myself :huh: )..

I wonder what the first ever FTF prize was?

I think that FTF is its own reward. FTF prizes fly in the face of the tenet of trading fairly.

Not everything needs to be adversarial (i.e. "fly in the face of"). FTF prizes simply don't fall under the tenet of trading fairly. They are in a category independent of the trade items in a cache and therefore do not require a "trade", but instead are a reward. They don't even have to be taken by the FTF for those that feel they've already been rewarded by being FTF.

I think that FTF is its own reward.  FTF prizes fly in the face of the tenet of trading fairly.

Not everything needs to be adversarial (i.e. "fly in the face of"). FTF prizes simply don't fall under the tenet of trading fairly. They are in a category independent of the trade items in a cache and therefore do not require a "trade", but instead are a reward. They don't even have to be taken by the FTF for those that feel they've already been rewarded by being FTF.

What's adversarial? DId you notice how I started it out with 'I think...'. This marks a comment as that person's opinion. I gave mine and you gave yours. We don't agree. Thats all there is.

What's adversarial? DId you notice how I started it out with 'I think...'. This marks a comment as that person's opinion. I gave mine and you gave yours. We don't agree. Thats all there is.

Your opinion is based on FTF prizes being adversarial to trading fairly.

I was just pointing out that the mindset of "one or the other must be true" isn't necessary. That point can get into a greater social commentary on how we've developed this insatiable need for ideas to be mutually exclusive, but that's not my aim.

I just wanted to point out that FTF prizes can be considered outside the realm of "trading fairly" and therefore they don't "fly in the face" of it.

I got BillsBayou's first sig item from Pursuing Palindrome Parkway (GCPE9M) as FTF prize - it's cool because it's 001, it's a neat clay coin, and it reminds me of this cool multi-cache which also let me do some programming to find palindromic waypoints and a bonus locationless I had never heard of (GC202B).

On the other hand, I have a FTF on a devious Chief's Special which I never turned in to Bamboozle for the prize and a 4th to find on School Days which I also haven't got around to redeeming for its prize.

I left a special FTF in my Lost Cemetery (So Sadly Misted) (GCMMXJ) which was a variation of the seed packets (containing king cake babies and doubloons) in there meant to seed new caches. It had a special king cake pin and extra doubloons. This cache is not designed for trades at all.

I don't want to participate in an argument about how FTF relates to trade items - I don't usually trade myself; I rarely find anything I really want.

What's adversarial?  DId you notice how I started it out with 'I think...'.  This marks a comment as that person's opinion.  I gave mine and you gave yours.  We don't agree.  Thats all there is.

...I was just pointing out that the mindset of "one or the other must be true" isn't necessary. ...

Did you notice how I posted that we disagree and that's OK? Kind of fly's in the face of 'adversarial' and 'one or the other must be true', doesn't it? :unsure:

I try to make sure my caches are well stocked, so I do not see any need for an FTF prize. I have seen a few FTF's takee the best item(s) in the cache for little or nothng, but that is another issue.

I did put in a prize in a recent cache, spun a wheel from one of my daughter's games, and left it for the person who logs that (undisclosed) number -- a something like a geocaching sweepstakes.

Here's my FTF prize. The local cachers seem to love them and many times my caches are found within an hour of being approved. I like to think it's because of the stickers I leave in there. They also help us spot other cachers out on the road and near the trails. The sticker can be printed at any sign shop and mine is about a 3 x 5 oval costing me about 85 cents. Cheaper than dollar store items but something highly sought after in these parts. 54f99cca-23db-4879-890e-64e67ceb0c73.jpg

Our friends We R Lewis & Clark leave the best FTF swag! They fill their caches with homemade embroidered "mug rugs", custom made geocaching keychains, etc. They also make a custom embroidered patch with the cache name on it for the FTF'er. It's fun to try and collect the patches for the local caches they hide around here! And the really clever STF prize is a custom made tissue holder filled with tissues (for them to dry their sniffles with when they just missed the FTF!) :unsure:

The greatest first to find prize is the location of the cache, by a waterfall, a scenic view, a picnic area, or just something that the cacher can really appreciate.

I agree but I also leave a little something for the first to find just so they will have a rememberance of my cache.