Caching Article: Big Sky Outdoor News & Adventure

Great article. It was well written and the Q&A portion is a nice touch. There were a few very minor things that I noticed. It could have been a little bit clearer that not all caches requre a long hike to get to. It also felt like it was saying that geocaching.com was only a starting point for learning the game before moving on to different sites when you learn it. I know these are minor things, and they do not take away from the quality of the article, so please dont hate me for stating them.

It could have been a little bit clearer that not all caches requre a long hike to get to. It also felt like it was saying that geocaching.com was only a starting point for learning the game before moving on to different sites when you learn it.

Well, a Montana adventure magazine is unlikely to talk too much about the joys of drive-ins. :(

And as for other sites... the author runs one, so I guess it was kind of hard to resist. :huh:

So true about the hiking, I didnt even pay attention to where the article was. My mistake.

I dont blame them for plugging their site either. I believe it was good to state that both sites are used, I just thought the wording was odd ( probably just me though)

It could have been a little bit clearer that not all caches requre a long hike to get to.  It also felt like it was saying that geocaching.com was only a starting point for learning the game before moving on to different sites when you learn it.

I didn't get those things at at all from the article.

Hunts can range from very easy trips to a city park that even grandma can go on, to multi-day treks requiring backcountry preparation and everything in between.

With a plethora of easy caches and fellow players to offer help and guidance, this is the site most people get their feet wet on and learn the basics. Most experienced players continue to play here as well, even after they’ve graduated to other sites.

KoF

Q: How deep are the caches buried?

A: They’re not! Cache containers are often covered up by a pile of rocks, pieces of bark, sticks or other duff just to keep them safe from the occasional random person (or ‘geomuggle’ as they’re known by players) who happens to walk by. You shouldn’t be using a shovel to hunt for them. Odds are you’ve probably walked right past a cache recently without even knowing it.

This is my favorite part. If only all those non-cacher journalists would get this part right, we'd be doing good! :unsure:

Jon Motta is a cacher, Skydiver on Geocaching.com and AngryKid on Terracaching.com.

-J

Umm.... FORMERLY skydiver on geocaching.com. I don't believe that he is allowed to play here anymore. I guess there are reasons, but I know that some of the 'features' he implemented (SGPS, customizable To-do lists, Cache Notifications) enhanced my interest in geocaching, and motivated me to go after some doozies!

In any case, yup, it was written by a cacher, with help from some other cachers. Darn good article, too, if I say so myself!