Should Numbers Dictate This Sport?

...Official Statement:

I haven't been around this sport for 4 or 5 years. I just had been watching it's progress. Now that I have bought a GPS, I've seen alot of changing in the system (for better or worse). I understand that some people cannot get to long hikes and I think parking lot caches are better suited for those people. I just like the foundation of geocaching, of the big ammo can, with alot of selection, reading through the log book, with a nice view of a waterfall, or a town far below, sitting at a summit's peak, listening to the birds. Now, maybe everything isn't so picture-esque, but my cry out is that keep the selection out there, keeping a good variety is essential for this growing sport. But don't forget what this sport was built on, because I would not know what to do if the "traditional regular" cache was drown out by the "new wave" micros. B)

Lead by the example of the caches you place. You will influence your area and become known for a good cache. Other than looking for caches you like that's what's within your grasp.

Most posts here are rebelling against forcing a specific cache type and style because the freedom to place whatever cache your muse demanded was also what this RASH was built on.

You've got to watch what you say, or change nicks a lot. I once tried to make a list of all the aliases I'd ever used on the internet, for posterity. I failed. It was MUCH longer than the "boys I've kissed" list...

Are you counting the kiss if it was only a picture?

-WR

You've got to watch what you say, or change nicks a lot. I once tried to make a list of all the aliases I'd ever used on the internet, for posterity. I failed. It was MUCH longer than the "boys I've kissed" list...

Are you counting the kiss if it was only a picture?

-WR

huh?

Good, I'm planning to place a Micro Travel Bug Hotel just so people can''t leave them there.

Don't forget the trading rules so you can even log the find. B)

Yep! If you drop one you MUST take one, or I'll delete your log.

Is there a group that hates micros? I wanna join.

"real" geocachers only hunt cans of beans in buckets, by the side of the road.

ha! That reminds me of the 'real men' sayings. We'll have to start up with the 'real geocachers.'

back then, my bother in-law won a safety award from the railroad he worked for. I joking told him that real men don't win safety awards. I think I hurt his feelings. B)

Real geocachers don't do anything less than a 6/6.

are you trying to say that i am not a real geocacher? i have lupus and can't do a 3/3 much less a 6/6. that means i'm not a real geocacher?

there are cachers that can only do caches in a motorized wheelchair. they aren't real geocachers either?

in over 26,000 posts i have never risked a warning, but i am now.

you are nothing but the idiot you claim everyone else has called you. let me be the only one in this thread to actually call you an insensitive idiot.

you have insulted every physically challenged person that does the best they can everyday to enjoy caching.

I thought he was joking, 6/6 caches? Real GeoCachers only hide caches that require more than a 20 miles rock climbing. And are able to fit a full-size pickup inside to cache.

.?????????

You taking this seriously?

Trolling is a possibility

Edited by teamjack&birdie

Last night, I stumbled over a forum about why simple micro's in Wal*Mart parking lots are ruining the sport. Then i stumbled upon the World Ranking of Geocachers according to finds. This sport is turning into a game of numbers, and less about location. When I go to a cache, I'm looking for a nice view, beautiful setting, or soemthing unusual I can't find in normal life. I live in a VIBRANT caching area, in SW Pennsylvania. And a very good example of a good geocache hider is "QuestMaster". What is the direction of this sport? and what can we do if it's turning in the wrong direction?

Keep on topic people....please!!!

A troll is someone who comes into a forum to stir up emotions by making outrageous statements. Then when confronted and slammed claim innocence.

I am not a troll, read the whole thing, other peopel stirred, I'm just a hot tempered person. B)

Well cool down sonny...you will survive the forums alot longer if you do... B)

by the way! i found that from your link on your profile page.

Yea, but what does that have to do with trolling? It's just a picture, it has a bridge which I guess means that trolls live under it. I'm sick of you people like saying lingo I don't understand behind my back B)

by the way!  i found that from your link on your profile page.

Yea, but what does that have to do with trolling? It's just a picture, it has a bridge which I guess means that trolls live under it. I'm sick of you people like saying lingo I don't understand behind my back B)

But then its really not our fault you dont understand, is it? B)

by the way!  i found that from your link on your profile page.

But then its really not our fault you dont understand, is it? B)

It is if you take a picture of me, tell me it's a troll, then not explain how it's a troll.

A troll is someone who comes into a forum to stir up emotions by making outrageous statements. Then when confronted and slammed claim innocence.

I am not a troll, read the whole thing, other peopel stirred, I'm just a hot tempered person. B)

Did you not read the last sentence.

Taken from the internet and heavily paraphrased to suit my own purpose.

A "Forum Troll" is a person who posts outrageous message to bait people to answer. Forum Troll delights in sowing discord on the forums. A troll is someone who inspires flaming rhetoric, someone who is purposely provoking and pulling people into flaming discussion

A classic troll is trying to make us believe that he is a skeptic. He is divisive and argumentative with need-to-be-right attitude, "searching for the truth"

While he tries to present himself as a skeptic looking for truth ... his messages usually sound as if it is the responsibility of other forum members to provide evidence that what forum is all about is legitimate science.

Can't say it is about the numbers for me or I would have tons of finds and my kids would wonder who I am. Hence I generally try to take them on all or most hunts. I too like a nice hike and a good view which I have done so with a hide that today has only seen 2 visitors for its short hike. My kids come first so if it is a urban cache in the walmart parking lot that we go for then that is what it is. Come to think of it our Walmart does not have a cache and this town could use a few more. I might just have to go place one on each side of the center.

OK just chill.

What does posting those pictures have to do with anything?

Falls, slow down and reread what you type before you hit send.

You seem to be trying to ruffle feathers, may not be the case, but it is what it seems.

Take a breather and form your thoughts clearly.

It is an interesting discussion and let's try to keep it from spiraling out of control.

Ok, we're really getting off topic. I know that I may seem to be a troll, but really I'm trying to ask why do people seem to prefer hiding micros in a Burger King drive thru than at a nie pcinic spot in a mountain meadow, hike doesn't have to be so. But the value of the area itself should be what makes a GOOD cache. A good camping spot doesn't have to be in the middle of the woods, maybe a back road can get you right there. This has nothing to do with people's ability as it does with what they want to search for. Why such urban micros like Arby's cache?