Should Numbers Dictate This Sport?

1/1's are pathetic hands down. Gimme a 5/5. If someone found 8,000 5/5's i'll be impressed. but not 8,000 micros. and not 91 in 13 hours.

;) Do you realize there are handicap cachers for whom a 1/1 is a greater challenge than your 5/5?? So they figure less in your eyes simply because they did a 1/1?

And....being that I only logged one....doesn't me that i haven't been to more than one. and that ive found possibly many that i haven't logged due to my numbers protest. numbers are nice. but shouldnt base someoens skill on that.

Skill? ;):D

You follow an arrow to a cache... yeah there's some experiance that will help in some situations but how much skill does it really take?

You are funny... :D Not logging caches as a protest... ;);) That's rich...

Stop it... you're kiling me! ;)

Caching for me is all about hanging out with my friends and spending the day goofing off. Caching just adds to the experience and give good reason for grown people to act like kids every once in a while.

I don't care about numbers...so mocking the lack of finds I have doesn't matter. Because this sport isn't hinging on my finds, it's hinging on "what happened to it?" i think i started this WHOLE forum post to bring awareness that if you can make it to the 5/5 DO IT. don't take the easy way out, because it'l look better. i really don't know what to say to the bullheaded (i am also bullheaded) people that refuse to adopt the idea to push yourself. if your fully capable of a nice long hike, take the hike, don't use the ability to find a micro as a crutch to push yourself to the top. finds mean nothing, because there wil always be someone spending more time, probably finding 3 or 4 a day and no one can beat them. i think geocaching is only as good as what you get out of it. i really lost track of what i was trying to accomplish. but some people in this sport are forgetting what the sport is all about.

And....being that I only logged one....doesn't me that i haven't been to more than one.  and that ive found possibly many that i haven't logged due to my numbers protest.  numbers are nice. but shouldnt base someoens skill on that.

Skill? :D:D

You follow an arrow to a cache... yeah there's some experiance that will help in some situations but how much skill does it really take?

Caching for me is all about hanging out with my friends and spending the day goofing off. Caching just adds to the experience and give good reason for grown people to act like kids every once in a while.

Skill? ;)

When your ready to accomplish a worthy 5/5....that is skill.

You people have inspired me to make a 10 mile, treachourus terrain hike. Multi cache, that will require some big time skill to acomplish the whole task.

If someone gets it. I'll be sure they'll be praised because it's gonna be tuff.

Maybe SpecialEd can try it out. :D

I don't care about numbers...so mocking the lack of finds I have doesn't matter. Because this sport isn't hinging on my finds, it's hinging on "what happened to it?" i think i started this WHOLE forum post to bring awareness that if you can make it to the 5/5 DO IT. don't take the easy way out, because it'l look better. i really don't know what to say to the bullheaded (i am also bullheaded) people that refuse to adopt the idea to push yourself. if your fully capable of a nice long hike, take the hike, don't use the ability to find a micro as a crutch to push yourself to the top. finds mean nothing, because there wil always be someone spending more time, probably finding 3 or 4 a day and no one can beat them. i think geocaching is only as good as what you get out of it. i really lost track of what i was trying to accomplish. but some people in this sport are forgetting what the sport is all about.

This sport is about having fun. Some have fun looking for caches in trashed filled, gang infested, inner city areas. Some people have fun looking for Terrain 3 and higher caches.

I have just the cache hider, who will satisfy your lust for high difficulty, high terrain caches. Check out this profile TEAM KFWB GPS

You can even win money if you log his caches first ;)

You people have inspired me to make a 10 mile, treachourus terrain hike. Multi cache, that will require some big time skill to acomplish the whole task.

So what "big time skill" is needed to hike 10 miles?

Edited by Kit Fox

Thanks for all the shots at me! ;)

I really think this sport is terrific, but I just don't think it's going in the right direction. And right now I'm routing a multi cache. And all the people that called shots at me, well if your ever in the Pittsburgh area, check out my cache.

And....being that I only logged one....doesn't me that i haven't been to more than one. and that ive found possibly many that i haven't logged due to my numbers protest. numbers are nice. but shouldnt base someoens skill on that

I happen to have a problem with how the 'numbers' are thrown around in this forum. So for now I log notes.

I think the problem here is the way you are expressing your 'issue'. Those who will do upwards of 40 caches a day in an effort to increase their numbers.... well that goes against what geocaching is to me/ geo=earth,ground,soil. But the key here is that it obviously does not go against what geocaching is to them and they have every right to feel the way they do). I'm not sure where you live, but here in San Diego there are some 'urban' caches that are very worthwhile. If you want to embrace geocaching and excel at it and be able to attain a ranking to reflect your hard work (what you consider hard anyway), I commend you, but--I am sorry to tell you that is not going to happen. Too many variables.

thanks team jack&birdie,

i think you guys understand my belief here. im not trying to push no to go to urban caches, but make them interesting and some very worthwhile to go.

i take back that al 1/1's are horrible, because that is not true. placing a cache just for the fact you can place it, doesnt mean you should. place these things where someone can go do something for the day, at a city park, a restaurant, baseball park. spark some enthusiasm in the sport, wal*mart? well if you REALLY think there's something interesting there, all power to ya, you'll be the new member on my blocklist.

I really think this sport is terrific, but I just don't think it's going in the right direction.

The only problem is that this is a self-fulfilling prophecy. There is no "right direction" for it to go in. The activity simply stated is a set of coordinates leading to a way to record having been there. The rest of the rigamaroll that can be added to that simple activity can and will include anything the hider and finder choose to introduce to the situation.

As long as you are hiding the kind of cache that you enjoy hiding and find the kind of cache you enjoy finding, then the activity is for you.

And....being that I only logged one....doesn't me that i haven't been to more than one.  and that ive found possibly many that i haven't logged due to my numbers protest.  numbers are nice. but shouldnt base someoens skill on that.

Skill? :D:D

Skill? ;)

When your ready to accomplish a worthy 5/5....that is skill.

If someone gets it. I'll be sure they'll be praised because it's gonna be tuff.

Maybe SpecialEd can try it out. :D

Actually, I'm sure you already know this, since you know everything else....... but a 10 mile hike does not a 5/5 cache make. Actually, a 4.5/4.5 would probably be much harder, and I could probably hide a 5/5 that would be as easy as a 1/1 with the proper gear.

I really think this sport is terrific, but I just don't think it's going in the right direction. And right now I'm routing a multi cache. And all the people that called shots at me, well if your ever in the Pittsburgh area, check out my cache.

I agree with the OP in that I also see the sport going in the wrong direction. When I started this, caches were largely regular sized and good hikes into the woods. I think this website once said "all you need is a GPS and a thirst for adventure". That's what drew many of us into the sport.

Now I see the trend going away from that. Now all you need is a GPS and money for gas.

I have no problem with well executed micros and if someone is in this sport for numbers, good for them. But what has happened is that the traditional geocache has become an endangered species in many areas and the shopping mall and dog poop park micros are becoming the only kind of cache available.

Whenever this subject comes up, there are a number of "If you don't like 'em, don't look for 'em", or "That's what the ignore list is for" comments. Unfortunatley, in some areas, if you don't like 'em you don't geocache because there ain't much else.

well if you REALLY think there's something interesting there, all power to ya, you'll be the new member on my blocklist.

That's what is so great about this. You can count 'em, micro them, block them, whatever it is you want out of GeoCaching. ;) But you don't have to push your values on people ... unless you want it back at ya. Trying to convert others that don't agree gets nasty sometimes. Once someone makes a point, let it go. There are as many sides to a view as there is people who cache.

;)

If you can't tell it's a Lowe's parking lot from the map, you've got to brush up on them map skills. If you can tell but you just think caches of the sort you don't like shouldn't exist, you need to brush up on your "playing nice with others" skills.

I'm inclined to agree with your choice of cache, but your notion of enforcing your preferences on the game gets my back up.

What the weasel said!

...This sport is about "location, location, location" micros are most often about "numbers numbers numbers".  Maybe there should be another sport lke geocaching based around numbers and Olive Garden micros, but geocaching is about location.

Eh? Micros about numbers? Maybe they should be easier to find then.

BTW I like junkyards, urban homeless areas, and other places that some people hate. Location, location, location, yes, but tastes vary. I happen to like seeing the interesting aspects of all of the world I live in. Not just the Ansel Adams photo ops.

Ansel Adams?

Famous geocacher.

Would only search for black and white caches, though.

;);)

you owe me a new monitor. ;)

People like to say that at one time all caches required a long hike to a great location, but that's not how I remember it. When I first started playing this game a little over four years ago, the average cache was a leaky tupperware container or chewed coffee can within a tenth of a mile from parking. The contents were basically refugees from the owner's junk drawer. I didn't have a big problem with it then, and I still don't.

The one thing that I enjoyed about my first find is the thing that I love about every one after. Some person that I don't know and will likely never meet placed this container someplace for the sole purpose of being found and logged by strangers who use this almost magical toy called a GPSr.

I've found quite a few caches and been brought to some very interesting locations. Some caches are painfully simple and repeats of others that I have found many times over, while others are completely unique (to me).

There have been some that I'll never find, either because I'm not interested in doing so or because I am not up to the challenge for whatever reason. Should those caches exist even though I either can never find them or am not interested in looking for them? Of course they should.

Why do easy caches bother your so? If you are only interested in looking for caches with a higher terrain and difficulty, only look for those. Ignore the rest. You might consider becoming a premium member. Then, you can run queries and get a file of just caches that meet your interests.

I agree with the OP in that I also see the sport going in the wrong direction. When I started this,  caches were largely regular sized and good hikes into the woods. I think this website once said "all you need is a GPS and a thirst for adventure".

Let me add my "amen" to this chorus.

One issue I have is that I believe that policies set by geocaching.com have contributed significantly to many of the problems people have cited here. Not the "numbers" problem -- I think geocaching.com has had an admirable attitude towards that. But some policies and guidelines strongly bias new caches towards urban micros in areas populated by lots of high-tech people.

Unfortunately, it is, as far as I can tell, not possible to have a reasoned discussion of those policies in these forums without being personally attacked, so I am presently pessimistic that the situation will change any time soon.

Geocaching is about location in that the hider posts the coords of the location that he has hidden something. When I look at that location on the map and read the cache description, I can decide if it is likely to be a place that I want to go. I am fairly good at picking caches that I find enjoyable. If I find that a hider tends to take me to places that I don't enjoy, I just ignore all that hider's caches. Problem solved. I have over a hundred caches on my ignore list.

It's nice out, we should be caching...

--Marky

But what has happened is that the traditional geocache has become an endangered species in many areas and the shopping mall and dog poop park micros are becoming the only kind of cache available.

Where did the traditional caches go?

I understand that there are many more caches being placed in the easier-to-get-to locales. As a trend, this makes sense to me - as more geocachers join in, it's logical that more caches will end up in proximity to the more populated areas, which means shopping malls and small urban parks (not saying it's right or wrong, just saying it makes sense). But I don't see this as forcing out the longer hike caches and the nicer hide caches. At least in my area, I'm just seeing more geocaches of all types. We're getting some parking lot grabs, but people are still placing caches off in the woods and near scenic vistas.

I agree with the OP in that I also see the sport going in the wrong direction. When I started this, caches were largely regular sized and good hikes into the woods. I think this website once said "all you need is a GPS and a thirst for adventure". That's what drew many of us into the sport.

Now I see the trend going away from that. Now all you need is a GPS and money for gas.

I have no problem with well executed micros and if someone is in this sport for numbers, good for them. But what has happened is that the traditional geocache has become an endangered species in many areas and the shopping mall and dog poop park micros are becoming the only kind of cache available.

Whenever this subject comes up, there are a number of "If you don't like 'em, don't look for 'em", or "That's what the ignore list is for" comments. Unfortunatley, in some areas, if you don't like 'em you don't geocache because there ain't much else.

You express your opinion much more tactfully than the OP.

I agree with you. With over 600 finds, I can afford to pick and choose caches that I like to find. Lately my choice is to hunt the hard puzzle, and hike-in caches. Ill find an occasional quicky cache, but my preferred cache requires you to get dirty, hike for more than half a mile, and enjoy seeing wildlife and nature at it's prime.

There is something aesthetic about seeing quail and snakes, while signing a log as opposed to cars and people in a parking lot.

The one and only upside to the proliferation of "in town" micros is that it leaves me hundreds of thousands of acres of public land to hide caches that I like to find. ;)

Edited by Kit Fox

The site is going in the wrong direction? A lot of people are havin fun while a few complain it isn't going in thier direction. Sorry, I can't see the connection.

I hike big hills. I also go caching with great people and we hunt lame walmart micros. . we are still having fun. There is nothing wrong with that direction.

I really think this sport is terrific, but I just don't think it's going in the right direction.  And right now I'm routing a multi cache.  And all the people that called shots at me, well if your ever in the Pittsburgh area, check out my cache.

briansnat, i agree 100%. -harry

People like to say that at one time all caches required a long hike to a great location, but that's not how I remember it. When I first started playing this game a little over four years ago, the average cache was a leaky tupperware container or chewed coffee can within a tenth of a mile from parking. The contents were basically refugees from the owner's junk drawer. I didn't have a big problem with it then, and I still don't....

That's what it was like in 2002 when I started. I liked it then and I liked it now. In general I find there are more of all kinds of caches. Not just the ones people don't like. It's hard to see that some times when 37 new local urban caches were just approved.

My finds (not that there is anything wrong with that) are pushing 1000. It's a personal goal. After that I've got a list of spots I've found worthy of full size containers. I'll start placing those, fishing more, and take time to smell some of the roses I've left in the dust. Lately I've even found working in my yard enjoyable. Of course I haven't done that in a while thanks to geocaching...

I don't care about numbers...so mocking the lack of finds I have doesn't matter....

Mocking finds isn't any better is it?

Official Statement:

I haven't been around this sport for 4 or 5 years. I just had been watching it's progress. Now that I have bought a GPS, I've seen alot of changing in the system (for better or worse). I understand that some people cannot get to long hikes and I think parking lot caches are better suited for those people. I just like the foundation of geocaching, of the big ammo can, with alot of selection, reading through the log book, with a nice view of a waterfall, or a town far below, sitting at a summit's peak, listening to the birds. Now, maybe everything isn't so picture-esque, but my cry out is that keep the selection out there, keeping a good variety is essential for this growing sport. But don't forget what this sport was built on, because I would not know what to do if the "traditional regular" cache was drown out by the "new wave" micros. ;)

1/1's are pathetic hands down. Gimme a 5/5. If someone found 8,000 5/5's i'll be impressed. but not 8,000 micros. and not 91 in 13 hours.

You see, right here, in your own post, you illustrated one of the great aspects of the way this site is set up. You clearly have found an easy way to weed out the caches you don't like. Now, do the simple thing and ignore those caches. Go after the caches with ratings that reflect the type you like to find, and let the others be.

Heres something to chew on: Most people hide caches that are like the caches they like to find. So, keeping that in mind, why do you think that there are a bunch of easy caches out there? Its simple, because there are a lot of cachers that like them. Personally, I love tough puzzle caches and caches with a challange, but I don't have enough time to hunt a lot of those, so I'm grateful that there are a bunch of easy ones as well so I can get my caching fix.

Oh, and I like the numbers, but am far from a numbers junkie. I like knowing that I've recently broke two hundred finds, but does it really mean anything? No, it doesn't.

I don't care about numbers...so mocking the lack of finds I have doesn't matter....

Mocking finds isn't any better is it?

Official Statement:

I haven't been around this sport for 4 or 5 years. I just had been watching it's progress. Now that I have bought a GPS, I've seen alot of changing in the system (for better or worse). I understand that some people cannot get to long hikes and I think parking lot caches are better suited for those people. I just like the foundation of geocaching, of the big ammo can, with alot of selection, reading through the log book, with a nice view of a waterfall, or a town far below, sitting at a summit's peak, listening to the birds. Now, maybe everything isn't so picture-esque, but my cry out is that keep the selection out there, keeping a good variety is essential for this growing sport. But don't forget what this sport was built on, because I would not know what to do if the "traditional regular" cache was drown out by the "new wave" micros. ;)

"built on"? it was built on a can of beans and a few other things, in a bucket, in a field. ;)

Another thought from me (as if anyone really cares ;) ):

Somewhere in this topic someone stated that the game has turned away from where it used to be, and that there are no longer any regular caches, just a bunch of easy micros. Now, I know that can't be true, at least in the areas I've had experience in. Maybe if you look at a raw percentage there is a higher percentage of micros vs trads, but I'd go out on a limb and say that in most areas, the number of traditional caches (not compared to micros or anything else, just the total number of trad. caches) has risen over the years, and will continue to rise along with the other types of caches.

Let me get this straight. CreekFalls90 hates low rated caches, but their one hide is rated 1.5/2.5 and their one find is about the same level.

I agree with what Cache Test Dummies said:

"To many others, numbers in one form or another are a significant part of geocaching. Even if somebody isn't playing competitive Grand Poobah style, numbers can be used to track individiual progress against individual goals.

For me, some days it's about the scenic hike, and other days it's about other things. Sometimes those other things involve the use of numbers."

Unlike CF90 with only one find, Cache Test Dummies has lots of finds and can speak from experience. I know they have found the most difficult cache in New England (which is mine).

I have hid high rated caches and ones that are wheelchair accessible. There are families with smaller children, older people, hikers, all sorts of people who cache so what is wrong with having caches suited for all? Someone (not the cacher, Ansel Adams ;) ) once said: "Variety isn't the spice of life, it is the very stuff of it."

... Maybe if you look at a raw percentage there is a higher percentage of micros vs trads, but I'd go out on a limb and say that in most areas, the number of traditional caches (not compared to micros or anything else, just the total number of trad. caches) has risen over the years, and will continue to rise along with the other types of caches.

It is a rare occasion that I markwell Markwell, but here goes. You will note that in his area there are tons of regular-sized caches being placed, even though there are also micros. I suspect that most areas would give similar results.

But don't forget what this sport was built on, because I would not know what to do if the "traditional regular" cache was drown out by the "new wave" micros. ;)

"built on"? it was built on a can of beans and a few other things, in a bucket, in a field. ;)

On the side of the road.

A lame park and grab!

...  Maybe if you look at a raw percentage there is a higher percentage of micros vs trads, but I'd go out on a limb and say that in most areas, the number of traditional caches (not compared to micros or anything else, just the total number of trad. caches) has risen over the years, and will continue to rise along with the other types of caches.

It is a rare occasion that I markwell Markwell, but here goes. You will note that in his area there are tons of regular-sized caches being placed, even though there are also micros. I suspect that most areas would give similar results.

Ah, yes, thank you. That markwelled link shows nicely that, at least in that area, the number of regular caches continues to climb. Maybe not as fast as micro caches, but none-the-less, there are still more regular caches out there than ever before.

But don't forget what this sport was built on, because I would not know what to do if the "traditional regular" cache was drown out by the "new wave" micros. ;)

On the side of the road.

A lame park and grab!

yep! i guess to get back to our caching roots we need more "lame park and grabs". ;);)

On the side of the road.

A lame park and grab!

yep! i guess to get back to our caching roots we need more "lame park and grabs". ;);)

With beens!

;) It seems like ANYTHING that I type, no matter how much I try to take back, and how much I compromise. You still quote me and call me an idiot. Most of the things you people are saying are just as idiotic if not more. I know I'm the monkey in the middle right now, but I really want you to know that you "mocking" every little thing that I say is not appreciated. And if quoted every "stupid" or "lame" thing you people said I'd have 10,000 posts. ;)
;) It seems like ANYTHING that I type, no matter how much I try to take back, and how much I compromise. You still quote me and call me an idiot. Most of the things you people are saying are just as idiotic if not more. I know I'm the monkey in the middle right now, but I really want you to know that you "mocking" every little thing that I say is not appreciated. And if quoted every "stupid" or "lame" thing you people said I'd have 10,000 posts. ;)

Life in the forums is rough.

This topic went from post 1 to post 100 in about 5 hours.

Do you know how many people haven't visited the forums in the past 5 hours? Those same people are going to read 10-20 posts into the thread and find one of your comments that really pushes their buttons and they're going to go straight to the "quote" link. They'll hammer you for that one dumb comment in a diatribe worthy of an Emmy and then hit send before reading down to where you retract your earlier comment.

If it's not about your latest post, or if you think that what they quoted doesn't accurately relay your intentions and you already said so in a later post, then just don't respond to it. Don't let it get to you that someone doesn't like what you said (even if you later retracted it).

Life in the forums is rough. Don't live here, just stop by to give your thoughts occasionally.

Also, "10,000 posts"?? Come on, it's not about the numbers... ;)

Somewhere in this topic someone stated that the game has turned away from where it used to be, and that there are no longer any regular caches, just a bunch of easy micros. Now, I know that can't be true, at least in the areas I've had experience in. Maybe if you look at a raw percentage there is a higher percentage of micros vs trads, but I'd go out on a limb and say that in most areas, the number of traditional caches (not compared to micros or anything else, just the total number of trad. caches) has risen over the years, and will continue to rise along with the other types of caches.

Well said. This is more rational thinking than the Chicken Little speeches often heard in the forums.

I'll also stress again along with others - that the first cache hidden was a bucket buried up to the lid on the side of a country road - and it had a can of beans in it.

If anything has changed it is that you have more to choose from. If you don't like micros, don't seek them out.

;) It seems like ANYTHING that I type, no matter how much I try to take back, and how much I compromise.  You still quote me and call me an idiot.  Most of the things you people are saying are just as idiotic if not more.  I know I'm the monkey in the middle right now, but I really want you to know that you "mocking" every little thing that I say is not appreciated.  And if quoted every "stupid" or "lame" thing you people said I'd have 10,000 posts. ;)

We can't hear your voice or see your facial expressions, so don't expect us to know your intentions perfectly. ;) That means every word you say will be micro-analyzed. ;)

And since when caching for numbers and caching for location have become mutually exclusive?

When I plan a caching trip, I usually select a few location targets then grab random caches along the way. If I'm in a hurry, micros in urban areas tend to get ignored due to time constraints.

There are some awesome hides near where I live which are in urban areas. Had I decided to ignore all urban micros, then I wouldn't have had the joy of finding them.

Maybe you are wishing for people to spend more time, effort, and care into each of their hides, to maximize your joy of the find. Keep in mind that not everyone in the world is a performing artist, and tastes vary.

Do you know how many people haven't visited the forums in the past 5 hours?  Those same people are going to read 10-20 posts into the thread and find one of your comments that really pushes their buttons and they're going to go straight to the "quote" link.  They'll hammer you for that one dumb comment in a diatribe worthy of an Emmy and then hit send before reading down to where you retract your earlier comment.

It's true. It's true. This forum and any forum. The number of times a weeks-old topic has floated to the surface because somebody was looking something up and got a button pushed...

You've got to watch what you say, or change nicks a lot. I once tried to make a list of all the aliases I'd ever used on the internet, for posterity. I failed. It was MUCH longer than the "boys I've kissed" list...

;)