Scuba Diving Cache

I want to make a virtual cache, but this cache is placed 38 feet under water. I am a scuba diver with a water proof GPS, so it is no problem for me, but would I be okay to make this landmark (kind of) a virtual cache? I would specifically state the conditions and that you need to be a scuba diver to visit. Also, Visability is perfect, it is in a lake (that is meant for scuba diving).

No, I don't think I can. This is owned by a few people, it has a camping area and was a rock quarry. It costs $17 to get in, but you can have fun scuba diving as well as geocaching. Because it is privately owned land, I doubt I can place a cache there, but there are "landmarks" placed by the owners, such as school buses, cars, statues, ect. I would use my favorite "landmark", probably a plaque, for the cache.

Unfortunately, the part about paying $17 to get in is probably going to prevent you from placing any cache there.

Under most circumstances, if you have to pay to have the priveledge to get the cache, it's considered a "commercial cache" and against the guidelines.

Some exceptions are made however, and I think I remember something with similar circumstances being discussed earlier...

But, you aren't paying $17 to find the cache. The $17 is paid to the lake owners, every person diving in the lake pays the fee. And along with finding the cache, you get a day of scuba diving in my favorite spot (well that is close enough to drive to with in 2 hours).

But, you aren't paying $17 to find the cache. The $17 is paid to the lake owners, every person diving in the lake pays the fee. And along with finding the cache, you get a day of scuba diving in my favorite spot (well that is close enough to drive to with in 2 hours).

Here we go again. ;)

Read the guidelines for getting a cache listed here. Pay attention to the parts about virtual caches and commercial caches.

Here is the one part that is sure to snag ya either way:

Commercial Caches / Caches that Solicit

Commercial caches attempt to use the Geocaching.com web site cache reporting tool directly or indirectly (intentionally or non-intentionally) to solicit customers through a Geocaching.com listing. These are NOT permitted. Examples include for-profit locations that require an entrance fee, or locations that sell products or services.

Solicitations are also off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda.

Some exceptions can be made. In these rare situations, permission can be given by the Geocaching.com web site. However, permission should be asked first before posting. If you are in doubt, ask first.

Your idea is most certainly a commercial cache. Even unintentionally, it indirectly solicits customers for the private location.

Also, since it IS possible to hide a physical cache underwater (mark the coords on the surface) you most likely would not get a virtual cache listed even if you resolve the commercial issue. Do a search of the forums and the website for "SCUBA" and you will find plenty of ideas and examples of viable ideas for a scuba cache.

OK thanks.  I didn't know that that was against the rules.

They are called guidelines for a reason. Notice the last part of what I posted about commercial caches? I am pretty sure I remember another cache in a private diving location getting listed after getting permission from Groundspeak, so it's not entirely impossible. You would probably have to hide a physical cache there though, not a virtual. And since it's private property, you would also need permission from the lake owners.

Edited by Mopar
Is this Dutch Springs, by chance?

And you can't use GPS underwater, right? I know, the question's been answered, and here I am adding my own questions. ;)

No, I'm thinking of Lake Rawling, Virginia. Also, I can't use my GPS underwater, but it is submersable to 1 meter, so I can use it to get there, set a compass bearing, then take it back to shore and use my compass to find it, I could mark the location right above it though.

While there are several SCUBA caches that I know of and tend to watch, they were engineered so that they could be listed as traditional caches or as multi-caches.

I think that the virtual cache listing guidelines would come in conflict before the commercial cache guidelines would even come into question, but you can discuss the details with your regional approver and give them a rough idea what you would like to try and accomplish, that way you can work out the finer details before you set up the cache or add it to the listing queue.

You can visit geocaching.com and select "HIDE & SEEK A CACHE" and then enter SCUBA (or related term) as the keyword. That general search brought up sixteen SCUBA caches.

You may want to take a look at the listed caches for some ideas how to approach the concept.

As a side note, you may not want to consider your GPS waterproof, despite the manufacturer's suggestions that the GPS meets MILSPEC standards. Keep the GPS in the surface float or on the boat, as they don't work underwater anyways. ;)

But, you aren't paying $17 to find the cache.  The $17 is paid to the lake owners, every person diving in the lake pays the fee.  And along with finding the cache, you get a day of scuba diving in my favorite spot (well that is close enough to drive to with in 2 hours).

Read the guidelines for getting a cache listed here. Pay attention to the parts about virtual caches and commercial caches.

Here is the one part that is sure to snag ya either way:

Commercial Caches / Caches that Solicit

Commercial caches attempt to use the Geocaching.com web site cache reporting tool directly or indirectly (intentionally or non-intentionally) to solicit customers through a Geocaching.com listing. These are NOT permitted. Examples include for-profit locations that require an entrance fee, or locations that sell products or services.

Your idea is most certainly a commercial cache. Even unintentionally, it indirectly solicits customers for the private location.

Also, since it IS possible to hide a physical cache underwater (mark the coords on the surface) you most likely would not get a virtual cache listed even if you resolve the commercial issue. Do a search of the forums and the website for "SCUBA" and you will find plenty of ideas and examples of viable ideas for a scuba cache.

I think the key there is FOR PROFIT. Many locations will charge a fee for upkeep and are not for profit (I'm not saying that this is the case here, $17 to dive a lake is rather pricey). Diving in many Philippines Islands locations is like this, as are national forest fees. Naturally, an admin would have the last word but I'm of the opinion that an entry fee doesn't automatically exclude a cache from being listed. Best bet is to ask in advance. And if approved, be sure to list the fee in the cache listing.

And make it real if at all possible :o

If it is private, and meant for diving, just ask permission to place a "real" cache there. If they already have stuff down there meant to be found, a cache wouldn't hurt and might be welcomed.

I agree that an entry fee shouldn't exclude cache placements. If the owner of the place was putting up a cache (w/ the purpose of luring cachers) that might be a different story.