Cut And Pasted Logs

Hey, don't misunderstand me. I really appreciate folks searching for and finding the caches I have hidden. But on the other hand it does bug me just a tad to check my inbox and find a series of FOUND emails from the same cacher all with identical log entries. I understand the reasons for doing it: short on time, poor typing skills, simplicity etc. but I would still rather see several short log entries with different comments rather than several longer ones which obviously have been copied and pasted.

When I go on long trips I to am guilty of the cut and paste thing. When I returned from a trip in the Blueridge Mountains of North Carolina I had 100 plus caches to log and it took 3 plus hours. I put in the generic copy and paste statement and I do add a line or two about the particular cache if I can remember. Having 100 plus cache of my own, I too often get the generic cut and paste and would enjoy at least a line or two.

I once took a raodtrip from MA to KY. During my trip, I did not have internet access and found 60+ caches.

Any Idea how hard it is to remember that many individual hunts when I returned?

I keep a spiral note book in my pocket ( 7 3/4"x5") - just got 5 for $0.79.

At th top of the page I put the date -

as I find caches I note the time, the name of the cache, the number of my find, and then anything of interest that I want to put in the log.

All of this goes in my log like this -

06-04-05 -- 9:11A - #205

Went out with Lokirime for a long morning of caching - 9 finds and 2 DNF's not a bad day.  interesting area - a bit of climb for this one. Cache is in good shape - interesting possible hide areas very close to the hide.

Now, I admit that the first part was a cut and paste, but the last part were direct attributes of the cache. Have to admit that I take crumby notes.

I do all this because as was noted above several time - I CAN'T REMEMBER!

I do the same for my own caches.

cc\

Edited by CompuCash
I once took a raodtrip from MA to KY. During my trip, I did not have internet access and found 60+ caches.

wirebound%20pad.jpg

:unsure:

Hay Robert - that's the exact one I buy!

the small one fits nicely in one of my vest pockets or my caching bag.

cc\

Edited by CompuCash

If I find a series of lame, inner city micros, in bad areas, my logs are less than stellar. Sometimes they are cut and paste logs. When I find nice caches in great areas. I'll write several paragraphs about my aventure. There is only so much you can right about finding an altoids tin, hidden underneath a phone booth.

Sometimes the absence of nice logs is an indicator of a crappy cache or "trache."

On what I would came "lame" caches, I usually put the same thing..."Found it. TNLNSL"

But otherwise I usually leave a (often funny) log at least a few lines long. What I have found works well, especially for those all-day caching events, I pull up MS Word on my laptop (which I usually take with me for GSAK, Mapsourse, etc) and write the log for the cache I just found right away, that way it is still fresh on my mind.

When I get home, I "cut and Paste" each log I wrote to the cache page.

wirebound%20pad.jpg

:mad:

Most people are, alas, up sh1t creek without their electronic gadgets. One day recently at work, the computer went down; turns out I was the only one who knew the old-fashioned way of counting back change.

I'm an old guy, maybe not skilled with the many new computerized toys, but I know how to carry and use a notebook (paper). When I'm caching, I always make a note on paper, usually the cache page (yes, I carry the paper print outs), and yes, cutters and pasters are not only boring, but somewhat annoying. :mad::unsure:

I've taken pride in putting out some creative logs from time to time. A few months back I tried to hit a zillion micro caches in a single day. Every since, I have actually felt pretty darned guilty for doing a cut and paste on all the log entries. I didn't give the folks who placed the caches their due diligence. I feel like I didn’t hold the door open for that elderly man or woman.

To make it even worse… we tend to attach audio logs to most of our cache finds. These serve as my pad of paper.

OK, that’s off my chest.

Yes, you may vent.

I see many power cachers (those with 5000+ finds) in our area post unique logs for their finds, so there is no excuse for cut and paste logs.

Boring, unremarkable caches may get the standard "TNLNSL, TFTC" but that's not worth venting about.

Personally, I'm indifferent to it, unless it's part of an inside joke or a personal protest, then finding out WHY can sometimes be fun.

Just goes to show ya can't make everyone happy.

I usually write fairly creative (I think) and thought out logs, with lots of pictures. I also type painfully slow, so often each log may take upwards of an hour.

99.9% of the time I'm also caching with my prettier half; who is usually prompt about her logs.

When I started getting behind on my logs, I tried the cut-n-paste thing. I got several comments from people who thought that because I didn't write my usual log; I didn't like the cache. Some seemed really insulted. :unsure:

So now, I'm probably 200 caches behind in logging, and not sure if I will even bother logging many of them, ever.

wirebound%20pad.jpg

:unsure:

That's my preferred method.

Mine too. If I find more than 3 caches, I keep a record in a notebook for online logging purposes.

I keep a spiral note book in my pocket ( 7 3/4"x5") - just got 5 for $0.79.

At th top of the page I put the date -

as I find caches I note the time, the name of the cache, the number of my find, and then anything of interest that I want to put in the log.

All of this goes in my log like this -

06-04-05 -- 9:11A - #205

Went out with Lokirime for a long morning of caching - 9 finds and 2 DNF's not a bad day.  interesting area - a bit of climb for this one. Cache is in good shape - interesting possible hide areas very close to the hide.

Now, I admit that the first part was a cut and paste, but the last part were direct attributes of the cache. Have to admit that I take crumby notes.

I do all this because as was noted above several time - I CAN'T REMEMBER!

I do the same for my own caches.

cc\

I used to do this for the first year, but then it just got to be too much.

I used to right huge logs on all my caches, but it got to be too much.

But I still try my best to at least say something personal about the caches that were good. I own around 35 caches, and I understand how good it feels when someone strokes my ego! :unsure:

wirebound%20pad.jpg

;)

Mine too. If I find more than 3 caches, I keep a record in a notebook for online logging purposes.

Geo Ho keeps a notebook, but I keep something sorta like a photojournal.

The wonderful thing about digital cameras is that "film" is free, and with a large memory card you can take hundreds of pics before having to change it.

I take TONS of pics. Pics along the trail. Pics of the cache site. Pics of the cache itself. Pics of my GPS (so I have the GC#). Pics of my log. Pics of any TBs I trade (including pics of the tag in case I ever need the #).

I also mark the caches found in my GPS, and download and save all my waypoints and tracklog at the end each caching day.

With all that info I usually have no problems remembering what caches I did and stuff about them; even months later.

My "best" day in terms of number found is 60 (and I also have a few 50+ days). I try to make every online log individual. I will sometimes cut-and-paste a generic intro sentence about the trip but then append the cache-specific comments. As noted by many others if the cache was especially quick (i.e., a LUM) my comments may be a tad brief but I still try to be unique with each log.

With 263 hides of my own I enjoy reading the logs; they are much more enjoyable when more substantive.

However, to each their own. It is unlikely that some cachers will ever do more than log "TNLNSL TFTC" but at least that is better -- IMHO -- than those who don't log online at all.

wirebound%20pad.jpg

:P

Geo Ho keeps a notebook, but I keep something sorta like a photojournal.

The wonderful thing about digital cameras is that "film" is free, and with a large memory card you can take hundreds of pics before having to change it.

I take TONS of pics. Pics along the trail. Pics of the cache site. Pics of the cache itself. Pics of my GPS (so I have the GC#). Pics of my log. Pics of any TBs I trade (including pics of the tag in case I ever need the #).

I also mark the caches found in my GPS, and download and save all my waypoints and tracklog at the end each caching day.

With all that info I usually have no problems remembering what caches I did and stuff about them; even months later.

We take tons of pics, too. I'm trying to actually post some of them to the cache pages, now. ;)

When I'm on a big trip, that's how we remember the answers to virtuals. Instead of writing the answers on a piece of paper that invariably gets lost, we take pics of the plaque or whatever, and then when we get back from the trip the answers are right there.

If you are going for big numbers on your trip, a voice recorder (digital, or micro-cassette) can speed things along, while providing the necessary memory jog for good logs at a later date. Some of the newer cell phones have this feature included.

As has been mentioned, some caches don't really inspire stellar prose, but who says you have to write about the cache (ala oregone)?

Don't like them, and I don't do them. I don't do mega cache runs, and try to plan my limited caching time so that when we do go, we hit some interesting caches and therefore will have something to write about,...most of the time we are pretty lucky in that there is always something I can write about (and I do take notes as my memory doesn't always work the way it was designed to originally ;)...it seems to me, though, that the more difficult the cache, like if it requires a hike or climbing a mountain or getting off the beaten path, the easier and more interesting log I can write.

Hey, don't misunderstand me. I really appreciate folks searching for and finding the caches I have hidden. But on the other hand it does bug me just a tad to check my inbox and find a series of FOUND emails from the same cacher all with identical log entries. I understand the reasons for doing it: short on time, poor typing skills, simplicity etc. but I would still rather see several short log entries with different comments rather than several longer ones which obviously have been copied and pasted.

I think it has to do with the sheer number of geocaches now available.

Way back when, to find a cache was an expeirence, involving a hike, difficult hunt, thought out plan, or complicated trip.

The cache logs (both online and in the physical cache) were longer and more detailed.

Now to find a cache, one needs to only drive to the nearest wal-mart or home depot parking lot and lift a light post skirt. I have trouble writing more than 5 or 6 words to describe the "thill" of the find.

Ed

With 263 hides of my own I enjoy reading the logs; they are much more enjoyable when more substantive.

Oh my! However do you maintain them all? And if I come to NC caching, are most of them yours? ;)

Not all in NC are his, the other 245 belong to Ron & Dianne! :P

Edited by Ltljon
I see many power cachers (those with 5000+ finds) in our area post unique logs for their finds, so there is no excuse for cut and paste logs.

Boring, unremarkable caches may get the standard "TNLNSL, TFTC" but that's not worth venting about.

I like telling the story of my experience finding the cache. That's half the fun of logging online. I do get annoyed if a group of cachers comes through and posts the same log for all my caches. At least make one line different and specific to each cache. Or, if you're just gonna write the same log for every cache, make it just "TNLNSL, TFTC." Writing a long log and pasting it over and over kind of defeats the purpose of writing a lot.

I just finished a three week roadtrip with 181 finds and 17 DNF's - I had no trouble remembering each hunt. Of course, it took me a week to get all the logs written and then posted...

wirebound%20pad.jpg

;)

I always carry my digital camera with me. As such, I try to snap a picture of my entries in the log books as I go. It's proven invaluable in remembering what I wanted to say about each cache on multi-cache days.

We have a series of caches in Pittsburgh based on colors. (Actually two, but I'm talkin bout the full size caches) There were four of them spread out over a hillside, about a mile round trip. Personally, I think they should have been one multi, but were listed as four individuals. In this sense, the hunt was the same. I thought of it as ONE hunt, not four.

So I wrote ONE great log, made it long and interesting, and used it for all four caches.

I don't feel great about it, but it worked for THIS case.

Any other time, it would bug me.

wirebound%20pad.jpg

;)

Where do you get these things? They look pretty cool. I dreamed up a great idea. Take one of these and buy one of those pen things. I've noticed that dragging the point of one of those pens across something like this will leave a permanent mark. You can use the two to create notes and the great thing is that it doesn't need batteries!!!. What will they think of next?.

I like good logs, but I like a bad log better than no log. Bad as in "TNLNSL" as opposed to "Your cache sucks", unless I meant for the cache to suck...

On a good caching weekend it can be hard to write a good log and sort out all the caches. I'll still try to write short relevant logs but a few "TFTC" will creep in.

wirebound%20pad.jpg

B)

Palm%20Zire%2071.gif

B)B)

B)

(oh wait, wrong thread)

good one, mtn-man! B)

wirebound%20pad.jpg

B)

Where do you get these things? They look pretty cool. I dreamed up a great idea. Take one of these and buy one of those pen things. I've noticed that dragging the point of one of those pens across something like this will leave a permanent mark. You can use the two to create notes and the great thing is that it doesn't need batteries!!!. What will they think of next?.

see what leaving Jersey will do for you? you're much more smarter'n you were up there.

I like good logs, but I like a bad log better than no log.  Bad as in "TNLNSL" as opposed to "Your cache sucks", unless I meant for the cache to suck...

On a good caching weekend it can be hard to write a good log and sort out all the caches.  I'll still try to write short relevant logs but a few "TFTC" will creep in.

how do you like this log -

xzxx couldn't find WWWWW #2 (Traditional Cache) at 7/4/2005

Log Date: 7/4/2005

li

Visit this log entry at the below address:

yes it is really there just 2 letters -

or this log by the same person -

xxxx found xxxx Cache (Traditional Cache) at 6/29/2005

Log Date: 6/29/2005

1450 d,ltb

Visit this log entry at the below address:

cc\

Edited by CompuCash

I'll just cut and paste what I agree with...

Hey, at least the cacher is out there finding your cache. If you don't want cut and paste logs, then don't hide any caches. Just like finding caches, you get some good ones and some bad.

I like good logs, but I like a bad log better than no log. Bad as in "TNLNSL" as opposed to "Your cache sucks", unless I meant for the cache to suck...

On a good caching weekend it can be hard to write a good log and sort out all the caches. I'll still try to write short relevant logs but a few "TFTC" will creep in.