Muggled Cache May Be Orphaned

Went to GCGZBC today and was treated to a nasty surprise. The cache had a crushed beer can in it and had been urinated in. I posted a note to the cache page warning folks not to visit until it had been repaired and sent a note to the owner through the site with the details of the damage. That e-mail message bounced. Most of the contents are of course a loss, but the log book can be saved with reasonably quick action (it is in a plastic bag that may be watertight enough to have preserved it and there may be a travel bug in there as well that needs attention. Is there another way to contact the owner? Is there a way to adopt the cache if it is orphaned? Help me save this cache!

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

You're a kind person...one willing to adopt a pee-muggled cache.

Yes, you can adopt a cache. If it's near you and you are willing, go recover it and clean it up. To adopt a cache, you can send a note to your local administrator requesting an adoption.

Good luck with this.

GSMx2

I just helped out in replacing a pee-muggled cache... how bizarre. This one hadn't been orphaned though. It was the first cache I'd found on my own, and I contacted the owner about getting it back up and running again. And hey, I even stocked it with a White Jeep TB.

And why would someone feel the need to pee in a cache anyway? Must be a territorial thing.

You're a kind person...one willing to adopt a pee-muggled cache.

Yes, you can adopt a cache. If it's near you and you are willing, go recover it and clean it up. To adopt a cache, you can send a note to your local administrator requesting an adoption.

Good luck with this.

GSMx2

Local administrator? Is there such a person? How do I locate them? I'm assuming it is not under Groundspeak in the Yellow Pages. :unsure:

I contacted the New York Admin as advised in the previous post. They posted a notice to the owner on the cache page and disabled the cache. They told me by e-mail about this and that the cache would be archived if the owner hadn't responded in three week's time. This would open up the area for a new cache. They appear to not be in favor of adopting and keeping up an abandoned cache, but rather they appear to be in favor of throwing out the baby with the bathwater. I can understand that there may be good reasons for this (the one given was that the cache owner may reappear and be upset with how things were handled) and am going to wait out the three weeks, but so much for trying to help save an established cache. ;) I can do better anyway. The cache was muggled because it was not well hidden enough in my opinion. I, of course, appreciate the efforts of the Admin in this case.

Edited by Jeep-O-Caching