Deep Impact

About one hour from the time of this post, our favorite satellite launchers are planning to ram a probe into a comet, which will be carried on live NASA TV.

Join us in ClayJar's chat room for a group viewing.

Yeah.. this is off-topic... but it doesn't belong in off-topic because it's related to technology. :unsure:

Jamie

About one hour from the time of this post, our favorite satellite launchers are planning to ram a probe into a comet, which will be carried on live NASA TV.

Join us in ClayJar's chat room for a group viewing.

Yeah.. this is off-topic... but it doesn't belong in off-topic because it's related to technology. :mad:

Jamie

It's a satellite. We utilize satellites. It's 'on topic' :unsure:

It never happened. NASA has this really really BIG warehouse in the desert down in New Mexico....... :unsure:

"Yeah.. this is off-topic... but it doesn't belong in off-topic because it's related to technology" But of course, just ask Steven Spielberg.

Edited by Team Cotati

Our family was going to go to the Science Center and watch it there--they had big telescopes set up and a hook up to a big screen monitor. BUT I FORGOT! I can't believe it! My 11 yo son has been talking about it off and on for the past week and we all forgot! We were so tired after evening church that we just bummed around the house, ate a bit, visited with the neighbors and went to bed. Ugh! Oh well, going to see if NASA or someone archived the footage so we can see that.

Thanks for the reminder--too bad I didn't read it last night. :unsure:

Nothing like watching a bunch of science geeks go giddy with glee ;)

Isn't that what geocaching is all about in the first place?

Yup! There were doing something quite similar to the Universal Cacher Foundit Dance (not to be confused with the Universal Cacher EWWWSPIDERWEB Dance, nor the Universal Cacher OWOWOWBlackberries Dance)

Nothing like watching a bunch of science geeks go giddy with glee ;)

Isn't that what geocaching is all about in the first place?

Yup! There were doing something quite similar to the Universal Cacher Foundit Dance (not to be confused with the Universal Cacher EWWWSPIDERWEB Dance, nor the Universal Cacher OWOWOWBlackberries Dance)

LOL ;) Boy, aint it the truth.

Actually I think this person is on to something, although for me the universe may be a little better.

Astrologer Sues NASA Over Comet Probe Tue Jul 5, 9:58 AM ET

NASA's mission that sent a space probe smashing into a comet raised more than cosmic dust — it also brought a lawsuit from a Russian astrologer.

Marina Bai has sued the U.S. space agency, claiming the Deep Impact probe that punched a crater into the comet Tempel 1 late Sunday "ruins the natural balance of forces in the universe," the newspaper Izvestia reported Tuesday. A Moscow court has postponed hearings on the case until late July, the paper said.

Scientists say the crash did not significantly alter the comet's orbit around the sun and said the experiment does not pose any danger to Earth.

The probe's comet crash sent up a cloud of debris that scientists hope to examine to learn how the solar system was formed.

Bai is seeking damages totaling $300 million — the approximate equivalent of the mission's cost — for her "moral sufferings," Izvestia said, citing her lawyer Alexander Molokhov. She earlier told the paper that the experiment would "deform her horoscope."

NASA representatives in Russia could not be reached for comment on the case.

It's been a couple of days since the impact, and I haven't noticed that anything in my life has changed much. Wasn't something wonderful supposed to happen?  ;)

you haven't noticed the awesome new sky colors????

GeoForse

Edited for fat fingers

Edited by GeoForse

This is reminiscent of that 50's sci-fi short (was it Ray Bradbury?) about the guys that built a time machine and charged millionaires big bucks to go back in time and bag a T-Rex for their trophy wall. The guys were careful to only choose T-Rex' that were about to die a natural death by tar pits or trees falling on them or whatever. One of the rich hunters accidentally stepped off of the specially-built platform and stepped on a butterfly...killing it.

The repercussions of the dead butterfly somehow amplified various outcomes throughout history over millions of years and the political clime was completely different when he returned to the present day. The world was a war-torn and political mess. America was experiencing Orwell's "1984" and Cambodia at the same time.

I'm certain this comet incident is going to ruin someone's day about 60 million years from now.

;)

I'm certain this comet incident is going to ruin someone's day about 60 million years from now.

But what if we were SUPPOSED to smash the comet? Maybe one of the pieces that broke off the comet will hit the earth and bonk the next Hilter upside the head, knocking him silly, eliminating any naughty notions of global take-over. Could happen...maybe...I think...well...ok...maybe not...but, what if? ;)

But what if we were SUPPOSED to smash the comet? Maybe one of the pieces that broke off the comet will hit the earth and bonk the next Hilter upside the head, knocking him silly, eliminating any naughty notions of global take-over. Could happen...maybe...I think...well...ok...maybe not...but, what if? :huh:

Personally, I think its a diabolical ploy for NASA to raise funds for its projects by collecting pieces of the comet and selling them on E-Bay!

:(