Buried Cache

You're not supposed to. This hider has 3 caches, this one that's buried, another on park service land thats been archived, and another that looks OK. Looks like the local reviewer is slacking, since it plainly says on the cache page that it's buried.

We were lucky and hit this cache after closing. Nice hide. At least there was a digging tool there (ha). Cleaned all the dirt out of cache and took broken sunglasses and another worthless object. Also put log and pens in a baggie. Thanks for this cache.

Took green smiley golf ball; Left spider, snake, lizard and calculator.

People have had to use tools to unearth this cache, even if it was not originally created as such. Additionally, just from reading the logs, it looks to me as though the general consensus of those that have found it is that it is buried.

Edited by Sonoran Privateers

Part of the problem is the vagueness of this rule:

Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.

A cache can be buried without using hand tools, but it's still buried. So what is it? A cache can't be buried or it can't be buried with hand tools. I mean you could throw a cache in an abandoned animal hole, and cover it back up and then it fits the legal requirement.

The logs indicate that it is buried and on private property so it is entirely possible the placer has permission for it.

I think the cache page could be more indicative of this fact if it is indeed a fact, that is for sure.

What's it 'buried' in?

It seems like at least orginally this cache had a rock on top as a marker. If there were a rock laid on top and lose sand? or pine needles and leaves? where mounded around it it could become 'buried'. Of course thats just my guessing since they're don't seem to be any good spoiler pics of the cache or its location.

One of the problems is the wording. Even if you really don't need to dig to find this cache, since people go there thinking that they will need to dig, then they do anyway:

Pretty funny. The rock had been moved from over the cache so it took a couple of holes to find it. tnlnsl tftc
Though maybe I'm wrong, and they didn't dig a couple of holes, but were looking into a couple holes in the area. Either way, other cachers could possibly read this wrong and dig holes when they come looking for this cache, if they think others have done it.

The problem with this is that it could potentially be fodder for authorities or media or others who do think that we need to dig to find "buried" treasure. It would probably be a good idea to re-word this cache description just to be safe. Either say, "you don't really need to dig (ie, it's under rock, etc.), or, "this is private property, so we have permission to dig in this area", etc.

Sounds to me like someones a bit bitter about not finding it ;)

I'm not bitter about not finding it. The DNF is totally my fault. I didn't read the web page before I went out there. Had I, I would have known to dig. It wasn't until I returned home, and looked it up that I found out it was buried...and kinda went 'hmmm'.

Sonoran - Did you ask the cache owner or the local approver before you came to the general public, by any chance?

No, I didn't. I posted my concern in my DNF log a couple of weeks ago. I didn't want to be antagonistic, or make a big deal out of it, because it really isn't. I only posted it into the forum to see if I was misunderstanding the burial rules...which may be the case. I didn't know about the '..as long as it doesn't require digging tools' clause.

And, if I'm off base...fair enough. I'll go dig it up. I just read a lot about negative publicity concerning burrying of caches after that LAO: CI episode, so I thought I'd get you'all's take on it.

Sonoran - Did you ask the cache owner or the local approver before you came to the general public, by any chance?

No, I didn't. I posted my concern in my DNF log a couple of weeks ago. I didn't want to be antagonistic, or make a big deal out of it, because it really isn't. I only posted it into the forum to see if I was misunderstanding the burial rules...which may be the case. I didn't know about the '..as long as it doesn't require digging tools' clause.

And, if I'm off base...fair enough. I'll go dig it up. I just read a lot about negative publicity concerning burrying of caches after that LAO: CI episode, so I thought I'd get you'all's take on it.

I'm not suggesting you're off base on your assessment of the cache - just that the cache placer and local approver would probably have better insight into this than the general public.

The same thing goes for the other thread about commercial caches. All of these "How did *this* get approved?!" are probably better directed at that level rather than dragging the cache placer here before the Spanish inquisisiotn.

I didn't want to be antagonistic, or make a big deal out of it, because it really isn't. 

Well, if it wasn't a big deal you would have come in here and said... I recently went to a cache that was buried. I thought you weren't allowed to do that? Instead you came in and direct linked to the cache which says to me that you want to make a big deal out of it.

Quote from the cache page:"The only reason this cache is listed at a 2/1 is that when one finds the cache they will have to spend a few moments ;) digging in dirt to retrieve the cache and to re-hide it. ;) This one is actually IN the soil!"

Quote from Cache Listing Requirements/Guidelines :"Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate."

Looks like a clear case of a broken rule to me.

I didn't want to be antagonistic, or make a big deal out of it, because it really isn't. 

Well, if it wasn't a big deal you would have come in here and said... I recently went to a cache that was buried. I thought you weren't allowed to do that? Instead you came in and direct linked to the cache which says to me that you want to make a big deal out of it.

Well, all I said was: I thought we weren't supposed to bury caches. Which is just a statement of what I thought. I didn't wail on about it or get mad, cuz It's really not a big deal. I really don't care very much at all. I just asked a question, it was answered a long time ago, good enough. I referenced the cache so that whomever stepped up to answer my question would be able to see exactly what I was talking about. They did, and from it they were able to point me to the reason it was approved.

Question was asked, question was answered. I made another point, that was answered as well; good enough.

Now, there's no need to start egging on a flame-a-thon, but I will say this: Who are you to come in here and tell me what I would do if I really thought it was no big deal? Perhaps that's what YOU would do. I did what I thought was the simplest, lowest impact thing to do get a simple question answered, as best I could, based on my judgement. If you would have done differently, good for you. I salute you for it.

Edited by Sonoran Privateers
honestly, why does it really matter?

Nope...and I'm really sorry I even posted about it. I didn't realize my simple question would ruffle so many feathers.

I withdraw my question. Please, everyone bury caches...I'll pack a shovel...an ice pick, a back hoe, whatever.

Good grief. These forums are turning into a den of wolves. You can't seek clarification on a simple precept without people attacking you.

For those that responded thoughtfully, and with the intent to answer my query, thank you.

For those that just wanted to attack me for asking: Isn't there a micro flame up thread that needs your attention?

Next time I'll hire a lawyer and a PR person before I post anything.