Mounting Legend C In Car

i have a legend c and i want to mount it in my car but i don't like the idea of adhesive disks to attach it to the dash.

i think i would lean more towards a ram mount since it has a cradle that the gps goes in to rather then the garmin car mount since you have to install the extra clip to attach it to the car braket (and then you would have to remove the clip when you wanted to carry it in a case).

does anyone use the bean bag/ weighted friction mount from either garmin or ram?

or the pop can/ drink holder base from ram?

how well do the suction cup mounts work?

i tried a couple different cell phone holders but they either won't go in my vents or the holder covers up some of the screen.

anyone have any pics?

I use the 4' suction mount from RAM, and if I clean the windshield off, and properly moisten the suction cup before I stick it to the windshield, I have trouble getting the thing back off.

If I'm not careful about cleaning and wet the suction cup with my finger, it still sticks pretty good.

The downside to the RAM is cost, yet they're flexible (literally and figuratively) as heck. I have mine set up now so I can move my mount from my car to my motorcycle in about 15 seconds.

Jamie

I learned something interesting the other day . . . I live in Califorinia and apparently it is illegal to have anything mounted to the windshield.

So, if someone has one of those types of mounts and happens to drive here, I don't know if they can get a ticket, or not . . .

I have both the Garmin suction-cup mount and the Bean Bag mount for my V. I much prefer the Bean Bag one. As for CA and windshield suction-mounts I have never heard of such a thing. Also have noticed many of people with those note pad things that suction to the window and some have been patrol cars.

drew...how do you attach the gps to the clip?

do you have any pics?

The vent mount comes with a small button with a circle of very strong double-sided adhesive. But for the Legend C, you need to trim off two edges of the button, which is scored, and easily done with scissors. Then you attach the button to the unit, after similarly trimming the tape. Since the button has a small hole in the center, you can attach it with a proper size screw for added security. The GPS then fits into the vent mount slot, or any of those belt clips designed for cell phones. Actually, some GPS sellers offer a button for the unit as an accessory; I'll try to find a link.

Update: Here's the link to an accessory button and clip for the Garmin:

http://www.everything-mobile.com/products/...temno=46&rel=80

At some Best Buy stores, you can find The Clip products. You just have to be sure the button is scored on both sides so it can be trimmed for the Garmin, which is why I like this brand. I'll try to get some pix posted.

Edited by drew
I've used a vent-mount solution like this one for years and it has worked out perfectly. I get a good sat lock with a Legend C, and it doesn't obstruct the windshield view:

http://www.theclip.com/store/catalog/Vent-Mount-p-16152.html

i'm wondering if you could use "the Clip" with a ram cradle.

i don't want to attach the button to my gps since i will also be using it in a pouch for hiking and wouldn't want to have to remove the button each time.

maybe attach the button to the ram cradle?

anyone have any pics of the ram cradle with the suction cup?

anyone with any more ideas or pictures?

i have a legend c and i want to mount it in my car but i don't like the idea of adhesive disks to attach it to the dash.

anyone have any pics?

Pics? Sure!

gps_dashboard_mount_1.jpg

I don't like the idea to trust some "glue" either. Real Jeepers are not afraid to drill holes into the dashboard (or any other part of the car) in order to fix things the right way. The "GPS-holder" was slightly "trimmed" with a saw to not obscure the display of the Vista-C :lol:

Jan

I bought the Garmin "the clip" replacement back for my Legend C from:

http://www.gpscity.com/item-garmin-etrex-b...rexbeltclip.htm

and then the WindowMate Express mount (WM36EXP) from:

http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/page5.html

I have a lot of devices with "the clip" back (iPod etc) which i use with a standard belt clip so this was a no brainer to be a standard mount for a lot of devices. I also did not want to make holes or use adhesives (on the dash or the GPSr). In my experience, the Scotch adhesive does not stand up well over time.

Edited by maingray