Why I Haven't Yet Paid To Become A Premium Member

Luffliffloaf

In all calmness, I have read of a multitude of NET related problems. Many people despise it.  How come this site isn't running off of Linux then? Thanks

The .NET architecture is made up of a lot of different pieces. It is also possible to run .NET applications on Linux using Mono.

Since .NET is a whole framework and Linux is an operating system, they aren't really comparable.

Like Jeremy said, there are alot of pieces involved in any web application system, from the JavaScript level and browser requirements you're going to demand on the frontend to the web server, the application framework, and the database server, all on top of server OSes (that's the only Linux part).

And this is all before you have your own stored procs and domain-specific code, and then the logistical issues like scheduled jobs, maintenance and backups, load balancing for web servers and database servers, and high availability considerations.

If you want to start from the backend as an starting example for evaluating the options, I don't personally think MySQL (the leading open source database - assuming we are trying to bias everything towards Linux since it's "free" - free software is software which has freedom, NOT zero cost) is anywhere near Sybase, SQL Server, DB/2 or Oracle in terms of functionality for large databases. Now you can run Oracle on Linux, but are you going to pick Oracle because it runs on Linux (it also runs on Windows) or pick Oracle because it has the features you need/like based on all the myriad requirements you known and don't know yet. So you look at all the combinations as best you can and you pick one which you think will work the best for your requirements.

There's best practices for all these systems and they all have strengths and weaknesses in different areas. I find .NET to be extremely strong in large-scale application architectures - this has nothing to do with the OS, but everything to do with the philosophy behind the framework and the high-quality tools available.

It's horses for courses - eventually anyone may want to switch to something else (Java/JavaBeans/Apache/Oracle/Linux to Ruby/Rails/Apache/Oracle/Linux or PHP/Apache/MySQL/Linux or something more drastic like an Ajax/XMLRPC architecture). But no matter what you pick, the investment to change is often considerable (either way you're switching) and maybe not worth the return.

Since those are all three the same tradeshow company, that's a rather specious point.

I like a good OS discussion as much as the rest of you (probably more than some of you - I kind of have an interest in OSes) but a lot of the "logic" I see here is really silly. Many people despise the color pink, too, but it has a reasonable place in the spectrum.

IIS and .net are the right tool for some tasks and the wrong one for others. Stable, performant solutions can be built with either .net or LAMP but in the end, the OS under you is only one piece of the puzzle. If you're doing something that's been done before (static pages, web catalogs, bloggers, etc.) of course you don't take as many arrows in the chest as when you're having to roll your own solution.

The growing pains of this site have been frustrating at times, but things do seem to be stabilizing lately. It's not perfect; little in life is. I doubt that hitching the trailer to a different horse in the beginning would have been the ticket out of all the growing pains, it would have only been a ticket for _different_ growing pains.

Uh, the site's down all the time?

On the top ten list of why you're not a member, this is probably reason #10. Reason 1-9 is because you're a jerk.

Normally I don't respond in such a way but this is just blatant jackassery.

is this a first for blatant jackassery?

and is that an individual description or a class distinction?

Jeremy, only you could put so elloquently something like that. Personally, I had thought up other words, but yours work much better.

Of course this isn't a first for blatant jackassery.. This is the GC forums!

Definately a class distinction. Class in the tact/common sense type meaning of the word.

Robertlipe - once more, in English. :D

It definitely had a steep learning curve which could deter a lot of folks from using it (or liking it). But they're all basically tools

Those people are tools because they don't use it? Or because they're easily deterred?

Sorry - couldn't resist. :rolleyes:

Uh, the site's down all the time?

On the top ten list of why you're not a member, this is probably reason #10. Reason 1-9 is because you're a jerk.

Normally I don't respond in such a way but this is just blatant jackassery.

is this a first for blatant jackassery?

and is that an individual description or a class distinction?

Jeremy, only you could put so elloquently something like that. Personally, I had thought up other words, but yours work much better.

Of course this isn't a first for blatant jackassery.. This is the GC forums!

Definately a class distinction. Class in the tact/common sense type meaning of the word.

Robertlipe - once more, in English. :D

:D Thank you.

I am experiencing a feeling of agreement.

So when was the original blatant jackassery quote?