Why I Haven't Yet Paid To Become A Premium Member

Luffliffloaf

Yeah, the site is down today. Big deal. It's usually up.

I bet I'm still getting my 8 cents a day's worth out of it. :anitongue: I mean, they charge sooooo much...for $30 a year it should be up and ready ANY time I'm loggin in...in fact, it should wake me up and night and notify me with aromatheropy everytime there's a new cache in my area!

Patience folks, it'll all be okay in a few hours, or, heaven forbid, a day. :rolleyes:

Make a TV dinner, play some X-box, or spend some time with your kids. This too shall pass <_<

Uh, the site's down all the time?

Boy, you must have very bad luck because this is the first time I've seen the site down in weeks.

And, it sounds like this is because of a "Denial of Service" attack.

You can't blame the site administrators for unforeseen problems like that . . .

I can't imagine trying to Geocache without being a Premium Member and without being able to download Pocket Queries. Because of that, I have more than 600 caches I could go look for right this minute . . . and most of the data is up-to-date.

I don't need the site to be up to go caching . . . that is one of the benefits of paying to become a Premium Member. :anitongue:

Boy, you must have very bad luck because this is the first time I've seen the site down in weeks.

I can't imagine trying to Geocache without being a Premium Member and without being able to download Pocket Queries. Because of that, I have more than 600 caches I could go look for right this minute . . . and most of the data is up-to-date.

I don't need the site to be up to go caching . . . that is one of the benefits of paying to become a Premium Member. :rolleyes:

Amen brother! :anitongue:

Well, maybe if you and all the other non-premium members would pay up, they could have a mega system that'd be up all the time......

Yeah, it's down right now, but it has been a while since it was down, and it's normally not down very often. Think maybe it's because it's a beautiful holiday weekend many places, and there's tons of cachers trying to get on and get cache data?

On the top ten list of why you're not a member, this is probably reason #10. Reason 1-9 is because you're a jerk.

Normally I don't respond in such a way but this is just blatant jackassery.

On the top ten list of why you're not a member, this is probably reason #10. Reason 1-9 is because you're a jerk.

Uh-Oh,

Looks like Jeremy and Hydee will be having a "coaching" Tuesday morning. :unsure:

You go Jeremy, don't hold back man. :wacko:

How can you complain about the free service that you are getting?

I gladly pay for the listing service.

Even though I live in a cache poor area (195 caches within 100 miles), the alternate caching site lists only four (4) caches. My membership has cost me less than 15 cents for each cache that I have found. For 15 cents I can't even drive to the closest cache.

I consider premium memberships fees to be money well spent dispite the extremely infrequent problem with service.

is this a first for blatant jackassery?

and is that an individual description or a class distinction?

First let me thank Jeremy for his wonderful creation, and all it's achievements.

Second let me state that I am a premium member for two, no three reasons:

-$30 a year is nothing

-Pocket Queries

-Support GC.com

Third let me state that if the site's software is bothering you, perhaps you should try getting your cache pages by homing pigeon. I'm sure it's much more reliable.

Edited by Marcie/Eric

I don't need the site to be up to go caching . . . that is one of the benefits of paying to become a Premium Member. :unsure:

Ditto, what idiosyncratic said. If you were a premium member, then you would have the pocket query and wouldn't need the site the few times it goes down.

I paid $30.00 to support a site that helps me enjoy something I really like doing. The pocket queries are a bonus!

What's the old saying? You get what you paid for.

I'm sure Jeremy would gladly provide you with a refund! :wacko:

DC

When I started looking at caching, I was amazed at how the whole game was arranged. The core, of course, was the web site. After finding our first cache, we immidiately became premium members! Groundspeak will never be able to keep up with the number of hits the site gets without financial support. If you support Groundspeak, you have a right to complain (and MOST don't), if you are not, just keep it to yourself and come back later (or NOT)...

That made me grin, but I prefer the classic, "Who peed in your corn flakes?" (Hopefully I quoted that correctly. I must remember to use it myself when the occasion calls for it.)

Anyway, I suspect the OP has taken one course on web development, and is therefore "expert" enough to pass judgement on others. I join with the others that proudly support this site and offer my thanks and respect for the effort required to keep it running as well as it does. Add me to the "satisfied customer" column.

After looking at some of the other sites out there that are for gps, compass & stamp users. This one is great! For 30 bucks a year (same price as the other guys)I get exercise, see new sites, meet new people and have lots of fun. That is cheap.

Maybe Jeremy should raise the price and make it so the stupid geocachers will go away.

Don

:unsure: Pleeese dont raise the price.

Just kidding, this is probably one of the sanest and most rewarding things a bunch of people who are probably too smart for their own good to do while trying to stay out of trouble.

The intellectual give and take is as much fun as the hiding and finding and this particular cultural group is quite diverse.

Almost a wonder we can communicate at all.

Fact of the matter is, the site is provided at NO CHARGE for you. Jeremy (and/or whoever else) could just as easily charge the $30.00 to use the site... which would certainly help keep stupid people from destroying caches, not putting the lids back on, not re-hiding appropriately. Maybe it'd make for a more serious group of geocachers.

But no, because they are generous, they continue to provide the service for free so everyone can enjoy it.

But... would someone please tell the people in my area to stop hiding premium-member only microcaches?

But... would someone please tell the people in my area to stop hiding premium-member only microcaches?

May they're just want to "keep stupid people from destroying caches, not putting the lids back on, not re-hiding appropriately" ;)

May they're just want to "keep stupid people from destroying caches, not putting the lids back on, not re-hiding appropriately" 

Nah, I think there's a contest going on to see just how many micros can be placed in a small area. And it's pretty easy to mess up a micro container, just like a regular. If they were someplace really "neat" it'd be one thing, but... anyway, time to end this discussion. Some people like micros, I don't. I hate seeing 43 member-only caches and 42 of them are micros.

:P Pleeese dont raise the price.

Just kidding, this is probably one of the sanest and most rewarding things a bunch of people who are probably too smart for their own good to do while trying to stay out of trouble.

The intellectual give and take is as much fun as the hiding and finding and this particular cultural group is quite diverse.

Almost a wonder we can communicate at all.

It doesn't matter. This thing is worse than crack. If the price goes up, I'll just start selling my children! :unsure:

...hey, I'm saying it...but y'all are thinkin it! ;)

I'm a premium member and I love the site and everything Groundspeak does for us, but I do have to wonder why you went with Windows as opposed to Linux. I realize that by now it's too late - it'd be a huge PITA to recode everything to run on Linux; a waste of time and resources - but I don't understand why you're using a Windows server in the first place. Don't get me wrong; I'm not Linux zealot - I use Windows all the time. Windows is, in my opinion, a much better desktop operating system than Linux. But compared to Linux, Windows absolutely sucks as a server. So how come you guys chose Windows?

.net Rocks and 30 dollars a year for even the basic site functionality would be worth it!

Sure I don't like it when the site is down but at least we know it is popular and getting used.

Maybe we can help with the error handling. Something like. You are unable to connect at this time because there are currently 40,000 people logging there finds.

A friendly error message makes the site not down, rather serving other customers...

If all basic members signed up for even one year we could probably get enough new hardware to cover us for several...

01000101011101100110010101110010011110010111011101101000011001010111001001100101001000000110100101110011001000000111011101100001011011000110101101101001011011100110011100100000011001000110100101110011011101000110000101101110011000110110010100101100001000000110100101100110001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101000011000010111011001100101001000000111010001101000011001010010000001110100011010010110110101100101000011010000101000100000001000000010110101010011011101000110010101110110011001010110111000100000010101110111001001101001011001110110100001110100

love your sig line... So true.

Oh Jeremy,

You gotta learn you're in business and it's not a good idea to talk to your customers this way. tsk tsk tsk.

Byron

This site is great compared to the 'other' rival ones out there. I like the layout, and the ease of use. But with anything I suppose you can't please all the people all of the time :( All web sites have occasional problems after all, its the nature of the beast.

I am currently unemployed and have no spare disposable income [the internet bill take precedence at the moment]. This new hobby is getting me out of the house and helping me to get excercise in often beautiful surroundings. As soon as someone is nuts enough to employ me again becoming a premium member is at the top of my 'to do' list :huh: So thank you for letting me join for free, as it helps us 'peasants' to enjoy this hobby too.

Keep up the good work and ignore the wingers.

How come this site isn't running off of Linux then? Thanks

You need to be more specific than that. What version of Linux? What database back-end? What codebase? Perl? Php? Java? What servers to run on? How do you manage the server farm? How do you deal with high server loads?

Regarding .Net, I can say that it works rather well. It definitely had a steep learning curve which could deter a lot of folks from using it (or liking it). But they're all basically tools and have their benefits and drawbacks.

BTW, we do use both linux and windows based software on our systems. Each tool has its own benefits and drawbacks.

Oh Jeremy,

You gotta learn you're in business and it's not a good idea to talk to your customers this way.  tsk tsk tsk.

Are you kidding?! I'd easily pay an extra 30 bucks a year to hear him say that to more people! :o

(Just not me.)

:unsure:

I'll second that. The amount is like taking a family of 3 or 4 out to the movies, once. This is way better than one movie, and it lasts for a year! (And even better, this part is free! ) :o

In all calmness, I have read of a multitude of NET related problems. Many people despise it. How come this site isn't running off of Linux then? Thanks

I think it's funny when people point to Linux as the all time saviour. Being an open sourced OS, how many people have had the opportunity to get their fingers into it? How many of them do you personally trust? How do you know the Linux is not just one giant spyware program based on all that. It really isn't as secure as everybody thinks. It's just a smaller glass house.