Interesting Missouri Mystery Near Ellsinore

Sparrowhawk

Hey, MO! :anitongue:

(Ok, bad joke) <_<

Around 1988, I took an epic Amtrak tour around the USA. One stop was to say hello to a SF fan in knew then living in Ellsinore, MO.

He took me on long drives in the area, visiting various interesting places. It included the Church of Vulcan (yup, turns out there is a perfectly serious small town there called "Vulcan" with a perfectly serious town church in it! I took a pic, and he sent it to a Star Trek fan magazine later, just for grins. They published it) :rolleyes:

Anyhoo... there one particular place he took me to which stays in my memories and intrigues me. It was a big, vertical cave that opened to the sky and was located somewhere in the woods. It looked pretty huge and mysterious and VERY deep. The guy I was visiting then told me that the local rangers kept the place pretty much a secret so that vandals would not get at it.

It had a sign that said "The Gulf". The bottom of The Gulf was an underground river. This river surfaced several miles away. Aparrently some scientists put a bunch of harmless dye into it once, and was able to observe the nearby river water turning that color for a little while.

I googled for "the gulf" and "Missouri" and got Great Gulf Park, but it didn't seem to be the same place.

Any Missouri folks know any local geologists? Anyone know of this particular vertical cave? Is there a geocache near it? It would be interesting to know more about what it was that I saw then. <_<