Garmin 60cs Questions...

I have a Garmin 60CS and absolutely love it. It brings me within 5 feet of my caches (if THEY use a good gps), and was great in Houston when I forgot my map. However, I am considering the City Select/Metro Guide as an additional purchase. I have several questions before I make up my mind.

1. What is unlocked? I keep seeing this over and over...

2. What is the difference between Metro Guide and City Select? I am thinking I want City Select... not sure why?

3. If I buy the City Select and add it, does it clutter my screen? I mean is there a way to turn off the restaraunts, etc? I cannot imagine when I add additional highways, streets and then all that other stuff. I want to be able to SEE where I want to go!

4. Will I actually be able to d/l caches if I add City Select or will it take up all my memory? 5 million points of interest is a LOT of points! I don't seem to see how much memory City Select takes, nor (I know... dense) how much I actually have!

5. I saw Sam's Club mentioned, do they have either of these softwares?

We do a lot of cross country traveling. I do see that I need a street map so I don't have problems like we did yesterday; we went in a 2 mile radius of a cache, but drove at least 20 miles to GET to it! Of course we were in an unknown area, so we had no clue what streets went through and what was a dead end.

I don't mind spending the money on this, but I don't know the differences between the two mentioned programs. I don't want to spend this much money and have the wrong one or one so cluttered it does me no good.

I know you have answered these questions thousands of times, so I hope you can copy and paste. I did try looking through the forum though... I will keep reading regularly now and maybe tons of questions will be answered for me.

Thanks for your time and patience. You all must have a lot of patience. Does anyone ever look at a bridge or point of interest the same after caching? lol...

CajunSis

1. it is the way to prevent software piracy

2. City Select have autorouting and MG (except version 4) doesn't,

City Select is pretty much "must have" when you buy 60CS.

3. Yes

4. Yes, no matter what you will be able to have 1000 waypoints

Edited by vr12

3. If I buy the City Select and add it, does it clutter my screen? I mean is there a way to turn off the restaraunts, etc? I cannot imagine when I add additional highways, streets and then all that other stuff. I want to be able to SEE where I want to go!

>> 3. Yes <<

So it clutters up my screen? Or is this a yes, I can turn it off?

CajunSis *who really appreciates your answers...

>> 3. Yes <<

So it clutters up my screen?  Or is this a yes, I can turn it off? 

CajunSis *who really appreciates your answers...

I meant - there is a way to turn off clutter

If you have 60CS already you should see "declutter" option in the map page.

Edited by vr12

The 60CS is very flexible in what displays on the map, when, how large, etc. You get to choose from a whole bunch of settings for anything that displays on the map page. Zoom levels of map points, user waypoints, street labels; text size of labels for all of same; overall detail level settings. The only thing you cannot change is the zoom level for residential level streets to appear. Thats preset at 300 metres with both City Select and Metroguide.

Olar

The only thing you cannot change is the zoom level for residential level streets to appear.

Wrong.

From the map page, MENU >> Setup Map >> Detail.

Most will make all streets show at 1.2km, or 0.5 mile.

Least will hide them until you get down to 50m or 200ft.

The only thing you cannot change is the zoom level for residential level streets to appear.

Wrong.

From the map page, MENU >> Setup Map >> Detail.

Most will make all streets show at 1.2km, or 0.5 mile.

Least will hide them until you get down to 50m or 200ft.

Like I said, "very flexible". That's one setting I hadn't discovered yet. Thanks for pointing that out Hemlock. Quite often I wished for a greater zoom level for street level particularly in rural areas where roads are fewer and farther apart.

Olar

Why do you say it is a must have?

I just got City Select last Friday. This is why it is a must:

1) You are in your car with no map. You want to eat. You look at the list of nearby restaurants and select GOTO and it takes you there turn by turn.

2) You need to go to a party? Punch in the address and hit GOTO and it takes you there turn by turn.

MOST IMPORTANTLY

You are going to a strange part of town after a geocache. You hit GOTO and select follow road and it takes you there turn by turn!!!!!!!!!! No more waisting gas trying to follow the arrow on unfamiliar roads.

I have been playing with it all weekend. It is absolutely AWESOME.

Metro Guide has maps, but will not give you turn by turn unless you create a route on your PC and upload it to your GPSR. I never know where I will be from one minute to the next. Auto routing is a must!!!

I have to agree that City Select really adds value to your GPSr investment. To replace my stolen/misplaced MAP-330, I recently bought a Legend C, and then the software. For the past week I've been road-testing its capabilities, and have been very impressed. Just today, returning from a theater in a part of town I wasn't that familiar with, the police closed the entrance to the parkway I would use to get back home, because of a fatal motorcycle accident. I was already using my home waypoint to navigate to, so I just took off in another direction, hit "recalculate", and the unit plotted a new solution home, which worked perfectly.

With the 60c and CitySelect, all you have to do is turn off your route, and the unit will automatically recalculate your route! As for memory, with the 56K that the unit has, I can load detail maps into mine for almost all of I-55 from New Orleans to Chicago. BTW, the boat that I work on crew changed in Harahan on Wednesday. None of the seven of us that were getting off were at all familiar with the NOLA metro area, but my 60c got us right through town and out onto I-10. Our pilot (who was driving) kept looking at my 60c every time it beeped and was muttering, "Man, I gotta get me one of those!" :unsure:

Tom

Edited by BilgeRat
No, there is not a way to strip out the POI data. It would be a useful way to get more maps, but I guess garmin figures that you will use the software to go places, and so they give you some places to go :unsure:

If you are trying to load the max in maps, you can turn off the auto-routing information and the maps will take up less room. But the autorouting info is pretty helpful. MapSource probably lets you turn off autorouting when you load maps onto GPSRs that don't autoroute anyway (like the standard Legend).