All-time Classic: How To Pronounce "geocaching"

eliasbats

I know there have been many conversations about the pronunciation of the word "Geocaching", "cache", "geocacher" and so on, but I haven't been satisfied entirely about possessing the ability to pronounce "geocaching" correctly.

Let's all share our opinion/knowledge on this matter please: I've read that the most common way to say "Geocaching" is: Geo-caching, where Geo is pronounced as in Geography, and caching pronounced as in cashing. I think more or less everybody agrees to that approach, eh?

My question is: The stress goes to "o" ( Ge'ocaching, like Ge'ography? ) or does it go to "ca" ( Geo'caching ) ?

What about geocacher then? Does the stress goes exactly like geocaching or no?

Thank you.

It's an oldie but goodie question.  The FAQ page hasn't changed since that earlier discussion.

I have already read those discussions. The thing is:

The stress goes to "o" ( Ge'ocaching, like Ge'ography? ) or does it go to "ca" ( Geo'caching ) ?

Because it's basically a combined word, my opinion (and the only way I've EVER heard it) is that it should be stressed as such:

geeoh' caching

compare geology to geophysics

I've been trying unsucesfully to not but a stress on the CA sound, the best I can come up with is GEE-OH-caching, with a very artificially stressed G and O sound.

Seriously though, I've only ever heard it pronounced one way. Maybe with a different accent, I might see more of an issue (I'm thinking strong southern accent here, geoCAAAAshing, or maybe european accent 'geOcaching'.)

Everyone around here pretty much says something like GeocaSHING, with very little stress on anything in the middle. (kind of like Gee-o-ka-shing).

Boy discussing pronunciations in text only is hard :anitongue:

Well I've always pronounced the G like a j, as in the word jiff. But I've heard many pronounce the g like the g in the word gift. I remember reading somewhere that the creator, Steve Wilhite, has officially said that the g is pronounced like the j in jiff.

geo (as in geo-desic dome)

ka-ching (as in the sound a cash register makes when opening)

This etymological tidbit dates back to the early days when geocaches were created from ancient cash registers left in the woods, and people had to hit the correct combination of keys to open the container.

:unsure::wacko::blink:

nfa-jamie

ps - I actually say it G-O-cash-ing, as, I believe, do most people

And then there's the ca-shay people who have a hard time adding "ing" or "er".

Where did they come from?

Wouldn't that be a dance, oh wait that's sashay well if you found a cache and did the happy dance then you would be doing a ca-shay, sashay, cachsay, cache-shay or chassé.

Edited by Skyman
primary accent on the gee syllable, seconday accent on cash....

GE-oh-CASH-ing

;)

BING-go! It is clear that not many people here actually can hear what they are really saying. A word with four syllables normally has an accent on two of them. Your pronunciation is what I would expect to see in a dictionary and I would guess what most people are actually saying.

Wikipedia - Stress (linguistics)