Geofoul?

This post is in reference to a jeep that I dropped. I found a jeep at a cache and moved it to another worthy cache. The owner of the original cache was watching the jeep and when it happened to get dropped in his home town. They came back to a cache that they had previously found a month before. Did not log visit and moved jeep back to their cache. I went to see if anyone found the jeep yet and it was not there. Nobody picked it up and it was gone? The only way I could tell where the jeep went was to track the jeeps history. They left a He He He note on the jeep log saying it was back at their cache. Now, I know how I feel about this but, is this acceptable behavior?

I consider it O.K. to revisit a cache to pick up a T.B. (travel bug)Because they want to travel and not sit in one spot.But I think if you pick one up you should log it as a note to remove the T.B. icon from the cache A.S.A.P. so others dont revisit to get the T.B.

Just adding a fine point since this whole TB thing can be confusing:

Logging a note at the cache page saying you've picked up a TB does not remove the TB from the page. You must go to the bug page and "retrieve" it. This removes it from the cache page whether you log a note or not.

To answer your question: I feel fine about revisiting a cache to pick up a TB and sometimes putting it in one of my own caches. Considering the high percentage of bugs that are still listed on cache pages months or even years after they have disappeared, The owners should be happy just to see some genuine activity!

Is the act of revisiting a cache that was not placed by you to grab a Jeep or regular TB and place it back in your own cache unsportsmanlike conduct? Any opinions or answers?

Not particularly. At least it is moving. In fact, I'd like to see more of them brought over to more difficult caches regardless of whether you own the cache or not.

I had the bad luck of retrieving a Yellow Jeep last fall from one of our own caches. Someone who found that jeep previous started harassing us, posting nasty notes on that caches pages, etc for several weeks on end. Rants about we arent following the rules of geocaching, yadda yadda yadda. Eventually Groundspeak had to step in and warn this person. These contests bring out the bad in people.

Is the act of revisiting a cache that was not placed by you to grab a Jeep or regular TB and place it back in your own cache unsportsmanlike conduct?  Any opinions or answers?

Just go back to the cache and get it AGAIN. Next, mail it to me, I'll send you my address. This should solve the problem. B)

Edited by 4wheelin_fool
and here I thought geofoul was a new term granted to those times when you open an old cache and get a whiff of that musty mildewy smell....

At first I thought they were talking about geofowl, which are the flying hamsters that Lep leaves in milestone caches... but then I saw that it was spelled differently.

--Marky

From your last post I surmise that someone retrieved a Jeep travel bug from a cache and placed it in their own cache only to have it turn up missing when the next cacher attempted to find it.

You believe that the cacher(s) who removed it from your cache may have kept it, only pretending to drop it off.

Don't sweat it. You can't do anything about it. Maybe they kept it, but maybe someone came along after they dropped it off and didn't bother to log it.

Just try to cache with integrity and hope that others will follow your lead.

Edited to remove unneeded space.

Edit: This jeep is still moving as far as I can tell... No harm, no foul.

Edited by Trinity's Crew