Usb Power Adapter For The Car......

Does anyone know if all usb auto power adapters put out the same power. I have one for my PDA, but I haven't been able to confirm the power needs for my 60CS or for my cell phone. The USB auto adapter that I have for my PDA puts out 5.5 vdc at 700ma, while the AC adapter puts out 5.5 vdc at 500ma. My cell phone AC power adapter puts out 5.1 vdc at 400ma. So again, the big question would be how much variance is allowable without causing damage to a device.

The DC volts (VDC) matter. The current capability (milliamps - mA) is a maximum for that unit (adapter). A lower value mA will still charge / operate (likely), just not as fast. Also, the voltage may vary with & without a load (the device) attached. 5.1 VDC vs 5.5 VDC - dunno. Some risk, not a lot - I might try it, see if ity runs OK, gets, hotter than usual, etc. Smoke is usually a bad sign. Your call......

Does anyone know if all usb auto power adapters put out the same power.

The USB auto adapter that I have for my PDA puts out 5.5 vdc at 700ma, while the AC adapter puts out 5.5 vdc at 500ma.

So again, the big question would be how much variance is allowable without causing damage to a device.

Interesting question, GPS units can use different types of batteries that put out different voltages.

Doesn't seem to affect performance what type you use. :P:unsure:;)

Strange, I posted a reply last night and it never showed up. I just mentioned the specification for USB is 4.75-5.25Vdc @ 500mA. This is the standard. As for how far outside of that range you can go and expect your equipment to work, that's going to depend upon the manufacturer's tolerances.

I noted in my reply that the Garmin eMap for instance is very fussy as far as external power goes. If its above about 3.2Vdc, even for a split second, the unit will shut down and/or reset. In one case mine did a factory reset and lost its mind. Thankfully there wasn't any permanent damage.

In the Legend C manual, under power specifications, it reads:

"Two 1.5 volt AA batteries or 12 V Adapter Cable, or up to 36 VCD external power."

The way I read it, the Legend C can tolerate quite a lot of variance from the normal 5.5 VCD (up to 36 VCD). I am looking for a less-expensive option for external power for my Legend C too, but I am not an electronics engineer.

How do those of you better versed in such things interpret this line from the manual? Should we be safe using a inexpensive, lower-quality (maybe) adapter even if the output varies somewhat?

Thanks for the input!

EDIT: Interesting...I was just reviewing the Legend C manual HERE at Garmin's website (August 2004 Rev. B ) and it doesn't have the "or up to 36 VCD external power" part of the specs.

However, I did find a June 2004, Rev. A manual online that can be found HERE that lists the VCD info. I wonder why the change... :rolleyes:

Edited by overtaxed1