Garmin 60c Or 60cs?

Since I'm a first time buyer of a GPS, I've been comparing the 60c and 60cs. Initially I decided on the 60c, but in comparing it to the 60cs, I see the cs comes with Europe maps, Australia maps, etc. What is involved in getting these on the 60c? Just downloading? Do they cost additional $$$? We are planning on traveling to Europe so it worth paying the $50 bucks extra and already have them installed? Thanks for the help!!

I am not sure your information is correct. With either model (GPSmap60c or GPSmap60cs) you have a CHOICE of purchasing a unit with an Americas basemap, a European basemap, or an Australia basemap. Most of the ones you purchase in the US will come with the Americas basemap. I would think an American supplier would have to special order one from garmin to get the European version or the Australia Version.

Understand we a talking about basemaps here. They only have major highways and such. For detailed (street level) mapping, you need to purchase separately one or more of the City Select products, either City Select North America or City Select Europe (or both).

This info applies to both units. They are basically the same, except the 60cs has a barometric altimeter, and built in electronic compass.

CTD is correct. The only difference between the two models is the compass, barometer, and about $53.57 (MSRP).

Actually, on the street, I have seen them within $30 of each other.

From Garmin's website:

"Both the GPSMAP 60CS and GPSMAP 60C are packed with extra features, including rapid automatic route calculation, an integrated outdoor calendar, a dedicated geocaching mode, and indoor/outdoor GPS games that turn the outdoors into a giant gameboard. The GPSMAP 60CS also offers an electronic compass and barometric altimeter for highland adventures. These sensors, when combined with GPS technology, provide enhanced bearing and elevation readings. "

I concur with CenTexDodger's reply. The only difference between the C and the CS is the electronic compass and altimeter.

From where are you getting the information about the maps? Can you post a link to it or give is the Internet address?

Edited by Neo_Geo

at dealtime.com - I did a compare of the 60c and 60cs.

for the 60c included software/maps = City Navigation Maps, North America Maps.

for the 60cs = Marine Cartography, City Navigation Maps, North America Maps, Europe Maps, Australia Maps, USA TOPO, South Africa Maps, South America Maps, Middle East Maps, Asia Maps

everything else was pretty similar except they list the 60cs as having a fishing calculator as well.

I see what you are saying, but I would bet that if you ordered one, it would come with the basemap. It looks to me like they are engaging in false advertising. i paid $410 for mine from GPS Discount, and it came with the basemap. I don't think they could include all that mapping software for that price. I could be wrong, but it looks deceptive to me.

Best of luck to you!!

at dealtime.com - I did a compare of the 60c and 60cs.

for the 60c included software/maps = City Navigation Maps, North America Maps.

for the 60cs = Marine Cartography, City Navigation Maps, North America Maps, Europe Maps, Australia Maps, USA TOPO, South Africa Maps, South America Maps, Middle East Maps, Asia Maps

everything else was pretty similar except they list the 60cs as having a fishing calculator as well.

the 60CS should read "or" between each of those base maps. The basemap is installed by Garmin into memory that the user can't access. If you get one with a European basemap, you can't replace it with North American. The basemap takes up 8MB on a 64MB chip, leaving 56MB for user-installed maps.

If the 60CS DID have all those basemaps, and still used only 8MB, their detail would be terrible. The North American basemap detail isn't all that great on the 60 series to begin with (sort of like a Rand McNally road atlas of the US and Canada). The 76 series with a 13MB basemap, is a tiny bit better.

The best place to compare is at GARMIN'S WEB SITE.

Dealtime probably has one category for software in their database called "Included" where they should have a 2nd one called "Optional". The maps they're listing are optional. And what's optional for the CS is optional for the C as well.

You could buy from them and then make a case that they didn't include the software they listed, but I think it'd be a tremendous amout of time, trouble, and pulled out hairs - and in the end I think you'd get the short end of the stick.

56MB is the amount of space you can use to upload maps onto your 60cs. The memory is 56 megs, and that is the actual amount that you can put onto the gps... If you think you have like 42 megs on it now, then you must have like 14 megs of space available.

Download the maps into MapSource, click on the maps tab and look at the bottom left corner of the screen - it'll tell you how much memory your maps are taking up. You can add more maps until that number gets up to 56MB - then send them back down to the GPSr.

Edited by Neo_Geo