Does This Qualify?

Old Bill

Hello all,

Trolling through the marks in my area I came across DV2027.

Having grown up in the area, I knew that the water tower was no longer there.

Having read the forum some, I realized that I could reasonably mark the tower as destroyed on GC, but when it comes to the NGS, I need some guidance.

I have looked through the forum but did not find a definitive answer.

So, here's the lead in to my question....

In an earlier thread, Deb from the NGS stated....

c ) If you know the station is destroyed but there are no remnants to photo-

graph or some other type of "proof" of the destruction is unavailable,

then use the online recovery form to submit a "NOT FOUND" report and

in the text portion explain your determination and why. Do not send me

an email about it.

But, I have read in a different thread (that I can't find currently), that a photo (such as what I did on the GC link above) was sufficient proof to the NGS that the mark was "destroyed".

What action should be taken with this one?

Thanks in advance,

Thad

AKA Old Bill (Bill is the Jeep)

Thad -

Intersection stations like water tanks, etc. are fairly easy to deal with. Several of us have had success by sending Deb brown an e-mail with one or two photos attached. They usually go something like this:

Subject: XX1234 - DESTROYED

Deb -

I recommend that you reclassify XX12344, BITSKO WATER TANK, as DESTROYED.

Background: XX1234 is described as being a 100 foot tall water tank just north of Main Street in the eastern section of Bitsko, NJ. Adjusted coordinates are NXX-XX-XX.12345 W0XX-XX-XX.12345.

Observation: There is an empty field at the described location and coordinates. There appears to be ther remnants of concrete footings, and a capped pipe protruding 18 inches from the ground.

Two photos are attached:

XX1234_20050515_A is looking north at the empty field. I have input the tank's coordinates in my handheld an, as you can see in the photo, the GOTO is pointing straight ahead and indicated the location is 125 feet ahead. There is no tank there.

[photo shows handheld GPS in out-stretched hand with empty field in background.]

XX1234_20050515_C is a photo of my handheld on the protruding pipe. Note that the handheld's coordinates indicate a position within 0.1 second of the tank's location.

Regards, etc.

Observation: There is an empty field at the described location and coordinates. There appears to be ther remnants of concrete footings, and a capped pipe protruding 18 inches from the ground.

Two photos are attached:

XX1234_20050515_A is looking north at the empty field. I have input the tank's coordinates in my handheld an, as you can see in the photo, the GOTO is pointing straight ahead and indicated the location is 125 feet ahead. There is no tank there.

Thanks for the reply, but more specifically, my confusion is centered on that there is no remnants at all. I realize that if there were some physical proof of destruction, that I would be invited to send Deb an email about it, but in this case, there is simply nothing to indicate it existed at all.

Should I just log it as a "Not Found"?

Thanks,

Thad

AKA Old Bill (Bill is the Jeep)

Thad -

If it's a tank or standpipe or church spire or something with adjusted horizontal coordinates (so you can locate its former position very accurately) and of a nature that makes it easy to determine reliably that it's not there anymore, then you are on solid footing by logging it as DESTROYED in Geocaching, and on good footing to send an e-mail to Deb for the NGS kill as well. I've gotten Deb to reclassify about 20 intersection stations as DESTROYED, and many of those had no remnants. Often, "Nothing besides remain .... the lone and level sands stretch far away".

But it's still classifiable as DESTROYED.

Will