Just Checking In....

Old Bill

Well, hello group!

My name is Thad, and I've been lurking for a couple of weeks now, and decided it was time to say Hi!

I started out by Geocaching, and found the "Find a Benchmark" part of the site. Needless to say, I'm enjoying that quite a bit, and indeed, the benchmarking part of it I find more interesting than the caching part. Something about looking for a piece of history makes it that much more interesting. Having grown up in the area I'm hunting in, (Glendale, Az) the history is especially interesting. I read some of the benchmark descriptions and know exactly where the mark is, where it was, or where it can't possibly be anymore. The development around here is phenomenal, and a very large percentage of the marks are gone/displaced now. But I am finding that some are still around. That's what makes it fun.

Having just finished a complete restoration on my '57 Willys Jeep, I now have a hankering to get out and hunt some of the more remote ones down. Just have to wait until it's not as hot. Arizona has plenty of history, and I'm excited to see about tracking some of it down now that I have the means to do so.

Anyhow, I've thoroughly enjoyed the forum, and found lots of answers to questions, and I didn't even have to ask. I'll pop up now and again if I have a question or two.

Thanks for having this forum!

Thad

AKA Old Bill (Bill is the Jeep)

Greetings from the Land of Enchantment, Old Bill. Welcome to the addiction. It's good that you've found it as fun and interesting a hobby as some of the rest of us.

My name is Buckner; I'm a graduate student and benchmarker in Albuquerque, NM.

Edited by BuckBrooke

Welcome to Benchmark hunting!

We know that there are quite a few old benchmarks with *rock cairns* close to you that we have not had a chance to come find yet. :)

We suggest (if you have not already done so) downloading the county list from the NGS & also get GSAK (It's definitely worth the $20.oo). Once the list is in GSAK, sort by date placed...Be forewarned, you may not have enough time for what you want to go find...even in the heat.

We tend to back off going to find any marks till it cools down too. Unless we are close to a really old mark.

If you need more help, just ask.

Have fun browsing that list.

Shirley & John

Welcome!

I figured I should say "hi" too. My name is Matt and I hunt in the south central PA area, with forays to other areas as I can manage. I tend to be more quiet than some on this forum but you will see posts from me at times. I have been a very active benchmarker and hit my 500th mark after a little more than a year hunting. I have been going pretty slow this summer because of other commitments, but will get back into as soon as I can.

Keep looking at the board to learn a lot about benchmark hunting. There are a lot of knowledgable people here, and even a few surveyors, who often chime in with some real world style advice.

And remember to have fun!

Matt

Needless to say, I'm enjoying that quite a bit, and indeed, the benchmarking part of it I find more interesting than the caching part. Something about looking for a piece of history makes it that much more interesting.

Welcom OldBill, from another neophyte.

I'm also another reformed GeoCacher. I used to look for benchmarks that were near caches. Now I look for benchmarks. It's the caches that are considered "bonus" now. In addition to the "history" you mention, it's nice to look for something that is actually intended to be found! No one is going out of their way to be sneeky or tricky in hiding the benchmarks. You either find it, or you don't. And its a "win" either way.

R_C

Hello, thought I'd chime in too. My name is Joey, another newbie benchmark hunter. I'm here in Gwinnett County, GA, outside Atlanta. I have experienced a similar situation here, as many marks have been destroyed by seemingly rampant develpment. I have also slowed down a bit in my searches, mainly because of the vegetation which grows quite well here (has anybody yet found a use for Kudzu? :anitongue: ). I might try doing a little urban hunting in Atlanta this weekend if I have time.

I have also slowed down a bit in my searches, mainly because of the vegetation which grows quite well here (has anybody yet found a use for Kudzu?  ).

Hi, River Lime:

In North Carolina, your favorite plant has been honored with four benchmarks named KUDZU. I recovered one of the four, this year. USPSQD recovered another one. I'm sure the other two are intact, under the......well, you know..... :anitongue:

Actually, Kudzu may be saving our lives. It does a great job of converting junk in the air into oxygen, according to a report on Paul Harvey News and Comment. So, as you drive down the highway, roll down the window, stick out your arm, and give the green leaf a "thumbs up".

Meanwhile, I'm also doing urban searches during the hot months. But not only because of Kudzu. Can everyone say, "Snakes and Tics"? (chuckle)

-Paul-

Edited by PFF

Welcome aboard one and all.

It looks like my Land of Enchantment stomping grounds is getting some fresh benchmarkers.

You will probably find a few I been to,but when you get a good look at them all there really are some OLD one's with very unique history.

And being in dry climate zone you will be amazed at how long stuff lasts out there.

I have found marks with the wooden frames still around them out there.

Not to mention the Airway Arrow's still in existance.

Some of the peaks from the time of the Signal Corps are now benchmarks.

Maybe you can really find,

Geronimo

Or

Geronimo 1

Geronimo 2

Geronimo Water Tank

Well that will keep you busy for a day or 3.

You may find GOLD

here but 4 hours on horseback????

Is your jeep ready?

Greetings from San Mateo, CA.

Since I am pretty much surrounded by either SF Bay or the ocean I am focusing on tidals.

Between earthquakes and erosion thet tend to be a tad hard to find.

Of course the regular and virtual caches are fun too.

Have a brassy day!