Well, I've Narrowed It Down.

I like both the Garmin and Magellan offers but I can't get my head off some of the Lowrance iFinder models either. I don't see a whole lot of info or reviews on these units but the specs, price and extras seem to be far and above the more popular brands. Can anyone give me some tips on the Lowrance products? Or should I just stick with the tried and true (by most here) Garmin or Magellan units?

I just replaced a Garmin eTrex Vista with the Lowrance iFinder H2O. I hike under moderate to heavy tree cover and the Vista would lose signal once I hit the trees. The iFinder H2O not only kept the locks, but kept enough of them to maintain a 3D lock in my backpack.

One caveat. The iFinder user interface is horrible. You'll get used to it but be prepared to be frustrated in the beginning. It's cumbersome and not intuitive. But you'll get used to it. The performance, features, and price more than make up for the lousy menus.

Also, the track points don't have date/time stamps. If you need them there is a workaround but it requires work.

For the price, the capabilities and performance can't be beat.

The iFinder H20 is an excellent GPS and a good value. Its not nearly as user friendly however as a Garmin or even a Magellan. If the user manual was any good I'd give them a pass, but the manual doesn't tell you how perform some key functions, like loading waypoints onto the card. :D

Edited by briansnat

Boomer,

The iFinders are definitely the best bang for the buck today!

I've had an iFinder for almost three years now and I have no regrets.

Now are the complaints about the user interface and manual valid?

Yes, but not to the point I'd seriously consider buying something else.

If you have a question come here or go to the Yahoo iFinder group and just ask.

There are a few of us here who are always eager to help.

BTW: When you want to learn how to load waypoints from a PC, just PM me.

Thanks, reid.

PS: grepCache, welcome to the forum. It always great to meet another iFinder user.

PS: grepCache, welcome to the forum. It always great to meet another iFinder user.

Thanks for the welcome, reidster. I've been a lurker for a while, but got nothing to contribute until I got my iFinder last week. I got it mainly for mapping hiking trails, but I downloaded some local caches just in case. I might check out what all the hoopla is all about. :)

Boomer - if you haven't already, you can download iFinder simulators and user manuals from http://www.lowrance.com . That way, you can judge the user interface for yourself.

I might check out what all the hoopla is all about.  :)

Been there, done that, buying the GPSr, Travel Bugs, Hiking Staff, topo maps, Bug Spray and Happy Meals....

No one mentioned how addicting this stuff is. There should be some sort of warning.

:)

I can stop any time I want.