Buried In The Sand

tiber

OK guys, I've got a shore house down in Jersey, where I'm posting from at the moment. My fiancee caught the geocaching bug and would like to place a cache. She suggested in an area we frequent, which is sandy. The sand is loose pack for a few feet down; You can easilly dig it out with your hands.

The question is about the "pointy object" rule for placing caches. Can we place caches buried in the sand so long as it's not so deep as to require pointy-objects? I've already come up with a way to track where they are buried so we won't lose any, I just need to make sure it's geokosher.

It will be very difficult to get a cache that's buried listed on the website. I know the reason for the rule is to keep people from digging up our parks and really doesn't apply to beaches, but burying caches is an image that makes GC.COM cringe.

If you want the cache listed, don't mention that its buried.

I was hoping one of the approvers would respond to this. The idea is not to be dishonest with caches, which is why I asked the question initially.

I suppose I'll place it and throw it to the approvers and if it doesn't fly with them, I'll go recover it.

While the "pointy object" rule is listed, I personally find it somewhat vague as to burying or not burying caches. Personally, I don't find the necessity to bury them, it's not needed (just do some of BrianSnat's or other caches in this area. Your situation is, understandably, different. My opinion is also based on a recent 'blurb' on the front of the webpage regarding geocaching's representation (including 'poetic license') on a "Law & Order" episode. The 'blurb' appreciated the fact geocaching was represented on TV but categorically denied "burying" as a method of hiding. You might wish to consult the reviewer directly via e-mail. Good luck. :)

There was a cache buried in the sand at Island Beach State. It is now archived because it went missing. We had no problem finding it because it had a clear marker and the clue pretty much told us where to look. We only dug maybe nine inches. Now a buried cache like that doesn't bother me. However I don't think caches like that seem to last very long.

Keep in mind GPS accuracy. If you would get something like this approved, it needs to be something that's easily findable without digging up a 50 foot circle of beach..... I think I remember this being given as the reason that even caches buried in loose sand where no tools are needed won't be listed on the site. (Yeah, search around, you'll find some, but I doubt any new ones will get listed)

I would NOT bury any caches at all. However, I have found a cache that was in a very large coffee can that was buried. The lid was covered with just maybe a sprinkling of sand. After pulling the lid off, the cache was inside - in another container. So technically, the cache was not buried, but it was in another container that was buried, but not under any real amount of sand. (no digging required)It was hard to find, but it was a great hide. Thats the closest to burying that I would imagine doing. I would also leave some sort of hint/marker on the scene. Some of the older caches 2000/2001 were buried in public historical places and the geocachers digging little holes everywhere to find them gave geocaching a bad name. So be very carefull and avoid it if you can.