Whats Your Vision Of The Future Of Caching

Well my vision is a bit optimistic. I think that there will be times when the travel channel and or magazines and the like will bring up the site more and more and show that it is a great place to seek out and find those out of the way quaint places that people seek so much. (Maybe not as much as in the game but as a source). I can see that it would involve a lot of searching pages and a lot more as it grows, and grows from that publicity.

Edited by Skyman

The "vision" depends on whether Geocaching manages its own growth or not.

I'm wishing against mass appeal --> explosive growth --> super high cache density --> no more new caches --> newcomers who can find but not hide --> the novelty wears off faster --> more frivolous cachers.

No more new caches --> Travel Bugs become the motivation for visiting caches --> TB survivability suffers from more frivolous cachers --> general disillusionment.

There are hobbies like radio-controlled aircraft which have enough barriers of entry to prevent them from explosive growth, but still be popular enough to sustain themselves without any person or manufacturers needing to file Chapter 11. I hope Geocaching follows that route.

My opinion is that the growth of caching will continue to lead pin head land managers and ignorant law makers to continue implementing ever restrictive policies that essentially forbid placing caches anywhere while allowing off road vehicles to tear up the land, hunters to pump lead everywhere, fisher people to leave wrappers and discarded line laying in the open, casual park users to toss their McDonald's containers on the ground 10' from a trash can, teens to leave their empty beer cans strewn about and meth lab operators to dump their toxic leftovers in the woods.

The result is that caches which don't require a physical container will continue increasing in popularity such as earth caches, virtual caches, locationless caches and the like.

Those who prefer the physical caches will go underground and will use smaller sites to list their caches since this site will never buck a regulation no matter how stupid.

I am not at all certain how well the physical caches will do in such an environment.

My opinion is that the growth of caching will continue to lead pin head land managers and ignorant law makers to continue implementing ever restrictive policies that essentially forbid placing caches anywhere while allowing off road vehicles to tear up the land, hunters to pump lead everywhere, fisher people to leave wrappers and discarded line laying in the open, casual park users to toss their McDonald's containers on the ground 10' from a trash can, teens to leave their empty beer cans strewn about and meth lab operators to dump their toxic leftovers in the woods.

The result is that caches which don't require a physical container will continue increasing in popularity such as earth caches, virtual caches, locationless caches and the like.

Those who prefer the physical caches will go underground and will use smaller sites to list their caches since this site will never buck a regulation no matter how stupid.

I am not at all certain how well the physical caches will do in such an environment.

Try to get a virtual approved nowadays... :D

I have recently investigated an area I hope to cache soon, and found almost all micros, even though it's very rural. It seems that some of the most prolific of the area cachers like micros...... and that is repeated in many places. As stated before, I see the micro dominating the sport, and I don't see regulation as an answer. It just is. Then possibly some "new sport" will emerge that is micro-less (or close).

:D

Caaaaareful. That's the same kind of misinformed generalization we're up against. Like among 'cachers, there's a few bad seeds in each of the mentioned activities but on the whole those user groups are very responsible and take their hobbies/interests very seriously and work hard to preserve them and promote responsible use.

Except for the meth lab operators, they suck entirely.

Edited by wandererrob

Woohoo!!

This was my point exactly. DaveA just worded it so true and eloquently.

Then AlabamaRambler says:

will only hasten and harden resentments and misunderstandings.

I'm sorry, but the SC fiasco has indicated to me that lawmakers have already premptively attacked this sport, and prejudged it wrongly, especially due to a few individuals who don't accurately represent the sport. Again the lawmakers ignore the populace and move ahead with laws under their agenda. More than likely environmental in this case. Like Dave points out. I see beer cans, empty shells, food trash, fishing line/hooks/lures, styrofoam icechest remnants, and lost articles of clothing a helluva lot in the woods and public area around my area. I don't see any issue with placing a square foot sized container HIDDEN that HAS A PURPOSE.

My opinion is that the growth of caching will continue to lead pin head land managers and ignorant law makers to continue implementing ever restrictive policies ...

Of course, it would be unreasonable to expect people such as you described to hold you, or the activity of which you are a proponent, in any higher regard than you hold them. Right?

As with most fads, geocaching will expand until it's no longer has much appeal. There will be more rules and resitrictions. Then it will shrink and find a level that's maintainable. Where that level is, I don't know, but my guess is a bit fewer caches and cachers than there is now.

The more GC.com allows government agencies to restrict geocaching, the faster this will happen. Things like applauding agencies that require permits, restricting placement to the agencies "approved" places, etc.

The more rules the faster it will crash.

Lawmakers will continue to pass legislation regardless of Geocaching. It's also their job to take blame for favoring the constituents and lobbyists. It's apparent there are enough vocal constituents in South Carolina against Geocaching. Note the contrast in Nevada and Virginia.

So I'm going to refrain from putting them in a blame basket until there's indication they are taking kickbacks/bribes to ruin our sport. :D

Hmm... the future.

The more things change, the more they will stay the same.

People will continue to run around screaming the sky is falling.

Technology will get better so the tools for geocachers will get better.

Geocaching will be known as the tip of the iceberg for Geolocational Entertainment.

More people will get outside and away from their TV sets.

The pendulum of obesity will swing back.

The future is bright. More will have to wear shades.

Edited by Jeremy

On its present course, I see cheap, throw away caches dominating. Some places are a preview of things to come. A smaller percentage of the caches will be worth a visit for its own sake while the flip side of the coin will be for numbers hounds.

I predict an tech savvy entrepreneur will invent a micro launcher complete with log and tiny GPS with transmitter. The idea is it sits in the passenger seat and as the "owner" drives around, it randomly shoots micros out the window. Where ever the cache lands it takes a rough reading of its location and reports that data back. This results in a much greater rate of blanketing an area with caches with as much thought as some we see today. Of course, an optional upgrade with be software that will automate the submission progress and membership into the automatic approval club.

(Actually, I can't take credit for this idea. A fellow cacher was telling me about this.)

Caches with a terrain over 2 will fall by the wayside because lazy cachers will dominate and owners will want their caches visited so to accomodate, the regular-sized caches will become all traditional and will be mounted much like mailboxes so the hunter doesn't have to get out of the air conditioned vehicle.

Those who prefer harder caches, either physcially or mentally, will start migrating to other sites. Oh, wait, that's already happening.

In short, goecaching will become AOL-ized and those who want a decent experience like that of bygone eras will look elsewhere.

Laws will slowly be enacted, then expanded to ban geocaching due to bad press, ignorant cachers, and uninformed lawmakers.

Agreed, but then someone comes along and makes up a game where you go somewhere, find something, and talk about it on the internet.

There are already quite a few others... :D

Also treasure-hunts to log online that don't necessarily require a GPS (Letterboxing comes to mind first...) :D

Everybody play nice and play as many of these various games as you want!

On its present course, I see cheap, throw away caches dominating. Some places are a preview of things to come. A smaller percentage of the caches will be worth a visit for its own sake while the flip side of the coin will be for numbers hounds.

I predict an tech savvy entrepreneur will invent a micro launcher complete with log and tiny GPS with transmitter. The idea is it sits in the passenger seat and as the "owner" drives around, it randomly shoots micros out the window. Where ever the cache lands it takes a rough reading of its location and reports that data back. This results in a much greater rate of blanketing an area with caches with as much thought as some we see today. Of course, an optional upgrade with be software that will automate the submission progress and membership into the automatic approval club.

(Actually, I can't take credit for this idea. A fellow cacher was telling me about this.)

Caches with a terrain over 2 will fall by the wayside because lazy cachers will dominate and owners will want their caches visited so to accomodate, the regular-sized caches will become all traditional and will be mounted much like mailboxes so the hunter doesn't have to get out of the air conditioned vehicle.

Those who prefer harder caches, either physcially or mentally, will start migrating to other sites. Oh, wait, that's already happening.

In short, goecaching will become AOL-ized and those who want a decent experience like that of bygone eras will look elsewhere.

What he said! That's about the size of it! Thanks, CR!

I really believe that virtual caching and “underground” caching (where a friend gives you the coordinates of his new cache) are the wave of the future.

It won’t be long before every cell phone, watch, etc. has a GPS unit in it. When nearly everyone has access to GPS technology, and a site like GC.com still displays the coordinates for all to see, HORDES of people will casually go out and find caches. And, as sad as it is, no one can deny that the general populous (in America, at least) won’t likely care about things such as rehiding the cache well, trading fairly, or even not taking the cache container with them when they leave. It is only those who are somehow invested and truly interested in the sport that will care about the sport, the others (meaning those who have a GPS unit and are bored and decide for the first and only time that they want to go find that cache that is in the park down the block) will ruin it.

Another consequence of the anyone-at-anytime-can-geocache phenomenon will likely be more rules and regulations by land managers, and undoubtedly more banning of geocaching.

Virtual caches, which in almost all cases cannot be removed or destroyed or banned, will prevail, and geocaching will remain as simply a way for people to lead others to really neat locations. I think that’s essentially why most people are attracted to geocaching anyway. Physical caching will be pushed underground and coordinates to physical caches will be handed to you on a slip of paper or emailed to you by a friend. …Actually, that sounds like a lot of fun. Let’s see the rules-makers try and ban that!

s*** will happen. Geocaching will adapt.

To add to this, most of the Chicken Littles out there assume that geocaching will exist exactly as it is today, 5 years from now. I can't stress enough that the first cache was buried up to the lid and contained a can of beans in it. My first cache had a Sunny Delight drink in it. The only thing geocaching can do at this point is move forward.

If anything, today I can hike to the top of mountains to find a cache. I wouldn't have gone otherwise and I wouldn't have been able to do it several years ago.

I guess I haven't gotten to the cynical stage yet. As I have found out over the last few months, this thing has a life of it's own. And with life, comes growth. More people add to the diversity and with that, more life experiences. Closer relationships. A great appreciation for the outdoors, and for each other, (inspite of the wars in here - :) ). Sure, there are dumba** law makers. What haven't they ruined? We still maintain a a pursuit of happiness. And yes, some of the appointed ones chosen to govern the land are idiots as well. Those people are everywhere. That, you can't escape from.

I actually see this thing growing and more people enjoying it. As obsticals appear, (S*** will happen. Geocaching will adapt) something or someone will find a way around it and we'll still move on. It's only a speedbump, not a wall.

:)

... And, as sad as it is, no one can deny that the general populous (in America, at least) won’t likely care about things such as rehiding the cache well, trading fairly, or even not taking the cache container with them when they leave. It is only those who are somehow invested and truly interested in the sport that will care about the sport, the others (meaning those who have a GPS unit and are bored and decide for the first and only time that they want to go find that cache that is in the park down the block) will ruin it.

It became quite apparent, after checking some earlier threads dealing with this same topic, that statements not substantially different from the one quoted have appeared regularly over (at least) the past three years.

The more GC.com allows government agencies to restrict geocaching, the faster this will happen. Things like applauding agencies that require permits, restricting placement to the agencies "approved" places, etc.

The more rules the faster it will crash.

While GC.com does set guidelines for caching they have no control over government acencies, the best they can do in that regard is to work with government agencies when setting guidelines. If we do not all work with government agencies in first of all showing ourselves as responsible people who will do our best to see that cachers do NO damage we will seal the fate of geocaching. This is not an area to show our determination to do things OUR way it is where we have to show that we are happy to work with them and in that way getting their stamp of approval and insuring the future of geocaching.

The only thing geocaching can do at this point is move forward.

I assume you mean geocaching as presented by geocaching.com. Regardless, there are other possible scenarios: Geocaching (as presented by geocaching.com) could also remain "as-is" or move laterally. I think either of those scenarios would indicate that the game had reached a point of, depending on one's point of view, maturity or stagnation.

I see the USFS creating a "Geocaching Permit" for which a land use fee of $10.00 per day would be assessed, and failure to obtain a permit would result in a $50,000 fine and 10 years in a federal prison.

An edited afterthought: It will literaly take a signed act of Congress to get permission to place each individual cache, and another permit fee.

Edited by hikergps
... And, as sad as it is, no one can deny that the general populous (in America, at least) won’t likely care about things such as rehiding the cache well, trading fairly, or even not taking the cache container with them when they leave. It is only those who are somehow invested and truly interested in the sport that will care about the sport, the others (meaning those who have a GPS unit and are bored and decide for the first and only time that they want to go find that cache that is in the park down the block) will ruin it.

It became quite apparent, after checking some earlier threads dealing with this same topic, that statements not substantially different from the one quoted have appeared regularly over (at least) the past three years.

Well, I've gotten the impression that, over the past three years, the issues mentioned in my post have become more and more prevalent. I think it seems logical that as more people become geocachers, more people who are irresponsible become geocachers. There's a certain percentage of irresponsible people in this world, and unfortunately, geocaching as a hobby doesn't ONLY attract the responsible ones.

B) Doom or Gloomers Beware! I envision the future as much better with us geocachers wearing some cool GPS specs with lazer guided features B) . Maybe personal hovercraft to get us to the destination!

Or ........ maybe we will turn into a bunch of virtual geocaching couch potatos caching from our living rooms in our underware .... NOT!

:)B):) ImpalaBob

B) Doom or Gloomers Beware! I envision the future as much better with us geocachers wearing some cool GPS specs with lazer guided features B) . Maybe personal hovercraft to get us to the destination!

Or ........ maybe we will turn into a bunch of virtual geocaching couch potatos caching from our living rooms in our underware .... NOT!

:)B):) ImpalaBob

spykids3dsunglasses.jpg

"70 meters, bearing 330..."

Prepare the ink-based writing utensil...

Activate auto-TB grabber..."

B)

Virtual caches, which in almost all cases cannot be removed or destroyed or banned, will prevail, and geocaching will remain as simply a way for people to lead others to really neat locations. I think that’s essentially why most people are attracted to geocaching anyway.

Not us... there are zillions of neat locations around here, tons of guidebooks pointing out special spots, but for the most part we and hordes of other couch potatoes ignored them. It was the prospect of finding something hidden, something secret, that we found appealing. I still remember the heart-in-the-throat thrill of finding our first cache -- we had already stood at the scenic overlook and admired the nice view, but spotting the too-perfectly shaped rock nestled between two tree roots, lifting it up, and seeing an ammo can was what hooked us. The same goes for the first time we took our nieces caching -- the older one was just as excited as I was on our first cache, and said the same thing that I had thought at the time: "I can't believe these things are all over the place, and I never knew about them!" Yet, if we had taken them on the exact same hike and seen the same nice views, they would have said something like "um, yeah, that's nice, can we go for ice cream?"

I think geocaching will continue to grow, but you'll see greater specialization from the listing services.

This specialization is most likely to take place under the umbrella of a few large listing services (like Geocaching.com), but it could arise in the form of a number of smaller, more specialialized sites (longhikecaches.com, lamemicros.com, virtualcaching.com).

There will be increased governmental regulatory control with regards to cache placement, but I think the impact will ultimately be more localized than global, and the regulations themselves will not hamper the overall growth of the activity in any major way. The regulation which just force certain areas to evolve differently.

In a broader sense, I think that ultimately somebody besides the GPSr manufacturers will find a way to make lots of money from the notion of cataloging and categorizing points on the earth to serve specific interests, whether those interests are those of the deep-woods enthusiast, or the stay-close-to-the-motor-home set.

"There's a certain percentage of irresponsible people in this world, and unfortunately, geocaching as a hobby doesn't ONLY attract the responsible ones." Couldn't agree more. IMO There needs to be a workable process for the geocaching community to more effectively monitor and control it's own activities. I personally would prefer to see this be accomplished without undue gubmint involvment. Sadly I do not think that that is a realistic possibility in our society.

It would be damned hard to ban the activity entirely. Though I'd miss doodling in the logbook, I've always said I'd be willing to play this game if it got renamed "go stand on this exact spot in the woods." The authorities could forbid anyone going into the woods for any reason, but if it's open to hikers, it has to be open to hikers carrying a GPS receiver. Especially as more and more emergency services take up GPS. Think of the liability if they banned this important "safety equipment"!

So the game in a form I'd like to play is likely to exist longer than I'll be physically capable of playing it. Woohoo!