Kansas Geocoin?

KSWader

We have been very busy the last couple of weeks and just getting back to the board. Life has been really happening - 3 boy scout camps, turnover at work so more responsibility, server crash at work, part-time business shipments arriving from the UK, etc.

I am still hoping to be able to produce coins. I have been in contact with others in the area and some say that they do not have to be trackable and others are saying the have to be trackable on geocaching.com.

The 1500 limit required for geocaching.com tracking is really hoding me back at the moment. With the interest shown, it would be a little over $8 a coin to have them trackable. I think that is quite a bit for the coins. I was hoping more around the $5-6 price range for the coins.

The design idea that I think I will go with if they are made is a meadowlark on a fence post with broken wire, sunflowers at the bottom of the post and the background would be prairie with a bison. Then around the edge would be either Kansas Geocachers or NW Kansas Geocachers.

I am wondering if I might need to search to see if there is another state wanting to do 750 coins and split the tracking numbers between the two? Do not know if that is even a possiblility.

We have been very busy the last couple of weeks and just getting back to the board. Life has been really happening - 3 boy scout camps, turnover at work so more responsibility, server crash at work, part-time business shipments arriving from the UK, etc.

I am still hoping to be able to produce coins. I have been in contact with others in the area and some say that they do not have to be trackable and others are saying the have to be trackable on geocaching.com.

The 1500 limit required for geocaching.com tracking is really hoding me back at the moment. With the interest shown, it would be a little over $8 a coin to have them trackable. I think that is quite a bit for the coins. I was hoping more around the $5-6 price range for the coins.

The design idea that I think I will go with if they are made is a meadowlark on a fence post with broken wire, sunflowers at the bottom of the post and the background would be prairie with a bison. Then around the edge would be either Kansas Geocachers or NW Kansas Geocachers.

I am wondering if I might need to search to see if there is another state wanting to do 750 coins and split the tracking numbers between the two? Do not know if that is even a possiblility.

Personally, I would rather not pay for the GC.com tracking ability. Having them numbered is great, but that only adds about 30 cents a coin.

I am still hoping to be able to produce coins.  I have been in contact with others in the area and some say that they do not have to be trackable and others are saying the have to be trackable on geocaching.com. 

The design idea that I think I will go with if they are made is a meadowlark on a fence post with broken wire, sunflowers at the bottom of the post and the background would be prairie with a bison.  Then around the edge would be either Kansas Geocachers or NW Kansas Geocachers. 

Trackability at geocaching.com probably does not make or break the desirabilty as far as I am concerned. It is important that the coins be individually numbered.

As far as the design discussion, I like the direction it is going but do suggest that you include the year on the coin (2005 or 2006 if the design takes that long ;)) so that future coin issues can be differentiated easily.

I still think there REALLY needs to be a tornado on it somewhere. I lived through one while living there (May3rd, 1999), it took parts of our house while we were in the basement. When people think of Kansas they think of Tornados........

The design idea that I think I will go with if they are made is a meadowlark on a fence post with broken wire, sunflowers at the bottom of the post and the background would be prairie with a bison.  Then around the edge would be either Kansas Geocachers or NW Kansas Geocachers. 

I still think there REALLY needs to be a tornado on it somewhere. I lived through one while living there (May3rd, 1999), it took parts of our house while we were in the basement. When people think of Kansas they think of Tornados........

I think ladycacher is right. When her Dad and I were kids, I remember watching 3 tornados playing in the open fields across from our house outside of Wichita.

That's one of my most vivid memories, and it happened over 40 years ago.

Edited by Shop99er

At this moment the cost for trackable on Groundspeak is not worth it for me to try to get the coins produced. The cost was looking towards the $5000 range to get the issue done and that would only be doing 750. The 1500 required trackable numbers purchased from Groundspeak really hurts the small states that do not have a large geocacher base. We had around 400 people interested in the coins and that would still leave me holding 350 out of pocket. So it looks like I probably will not be doing any trackable coins on Groundspeak at this time. In the future I may do a personal non-trackable coin of my own in a small edition. So I am closing this thread.