Kansas Geocoin?

KSWader

I was wondering if there was interest in a Kansas Geocoin? Anyone have ideas for what one should include? Should there be a buffalo, sunflower, tornado, Indians, State map? Currenly Kansas has Mingo, the oldest cache in existance, is in the middle of the USA, Oz - Dorothy and Toto, etc. There is a lot to choose from for the sunflower state. I am thinking it should be trackable on Groundspeak.

When looking to have them made, there is a wide variety of costs associated with them. What is a fair price to sell them for? I have seen non-Groundspeak trackable ones for $5 shipping included all the way up to trackable ones with shipping being $10.60.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

As a non-Kansan, I would say that I would be interested in a coin of any type. I find coins are really great collector pieces and trade items. I am trying to collect as many different types as I can. I don't know if it really matters to me whether they are trackable or not. That is just my $.02.

I was wondering if there was interest in a Kansas Geocoin?  Anyone have ideas for what one should include?  Should there be a buffalo, sunflower, tornado, Indians, State map?  Currenly Kansas has Mingo, the oldest  cache in existance, is in the middle of the USA, Oz - Dorothy and Toto, etc.  There is a lot to choose from for the sunflower state.  I am thinking it should be trackable on Groundspeak. 

Kansas has always called itself the Sunflower State, (you used the trem yourself), so there's the obvious choice for one side of the coin.

Also, I seem to recall that the Geographic center of the 48 continuous states is in Lebanon. I would put a state outline with a tornado pointed at the center point. I know, the center of the 50 states is in the Dakotas somewhere.

For those who may ask why someone from Washington is commenting, that's easy. I was born and raised in Kansas. Lived in Wichita and Douglass.

BTW, you make 'em, I'll buy 2.

Edited by Shop99er
I think I read somewhere that in order for it to be trackable on gc.com, it would cost $1.50 per coin for the tracking number and there would have to be a minimum of 1500 coins.

with more and more people collecting these coins....1500 coins is a reachable....i sold 1250 in about 2 weeks for california

Hi,

i would take some coins too, if you manufacture new coins.

I think if the new coins are trackable to geocaching.com this is a special bonus for every coin, and the 1500 coins are faster gone.

Let me know if i can order some coins ;-)

happy hunting Darth_Maul_3 :D:D

I think I read somewhere that in order for it to be trackable on gc.com, it would cost $1.50 per coin for the tracking number and there would have to be a minimum of 1500 coins.

Unless things have changed, recently I think the minimum was 150, not 1500 (I know there was a big discussion over on the Calgary forum as to if we should have the CAC Coins trackable, and at the time we were only planning on ordering about 900).

Still taking some ideas. I kind of like the Dorothy and gang hunting for a geocache one one side of the coin and then maybe a sunflower on the other side in color and marked Kansas - The Sunflower State. To use Dorothy and the gang it would have to be based on the original drawings contained in the books as these are in the public domain. The Warner Brothers movie is under copyright. This should be quite doable. Have to get a few more things rounded together in order to get them trackable on the geocaching website. Thanks to everyone who is showing interest.

Ed

Hey, I think a Kansas GeoCoin is a great idea and I am sure in the Salina area we would snatch up several coins. I like the Dorothy and gang hunting for a Cache, perhaps Mingo (GC30) the oldest active cache, right here in Kansas. I think trackable is the only way to go, you want these out and moving around the country. Perhaps sometime in the future GC.com could post a page that would list GeoCoins actively in caches by State. Something else for Jeremy to do. Thanks for getting this post rolling!

I would have to have a few, what about the state mammal, the buffalo, or the state reptile, the ornate tortoise, or the state tree, a large dominant cottonwood? There are a load of nice designs that could be used without encroaching on Dorothy! I think the Wizard of OZ has been beath to death with all the T shirts and truck stop junk... Glen

You could even use some of RattlingCrews pictures as a basis for the design. Check out www.ourks.com

Those are some grand pictures you have there. I had forgotten about the great scenery in Kansas.

I haven't been there for more than a couple of days in 30 years.

How about a tornado with an ammo box on top (that had been sucked up)?

You could have a confused cacher wandering around at ground level looking for it with some witty quote (none come to mind).

Somebody with some artistic capability could probably whip this up quickly for visual reference.

Having crossed Kansas several times I would say the coin HAS to be flat with one tree and one house. We were going to Oklahoma City for our daughters wedding and we had a friend of our other daughter with us who had never been outside of Washington/Idaho. She fell asleep as we left Denver and woke up hours later...she looked around and said.."nothing has changed...it is still flat". :huh: We all laughed.

Put me down for 2 or 3.

I was rasied in Kansas and spent 23 years there before moving to Texas (due to the massive aircraft lay-offs after September 11). I am VERY proud to say I was rasied in Kansas and even survived two tornados (one destoryed our house while we were inside. I say to make sure that what Kansas is known for is on the coin. If I were to design it I would make sure it had the Tornado and Sunflower, but Oz and Buffalo would be great as-well. What about putting Dorthy Geocaching in a sunflower field with Buffalo on the front and a tornado sucking up the tracking number on the back.

Just ideas....

I will take five (5) either way.

I was rasied in Kansas and spent 23 years there before moving to Texas (due to the massive aircraft lay-offs after September 11). I am VERY proud to say I was rasied in Kansas and even survived two tornados (one destoryed our house while we were inside. I say to make sure that what Kansas is known for is on the coin. If I were to design it I would make sure it had the Tornado and Sunflower, but Oz and Buffalo would be great as-well. What about putting Dorthy Geocaching in a sunflower field with Buffalo on the front and a tornado sucking up the tracking number on the back.

Just ideas....

Oh, that's brilliant!! :rolleyes:

Great ideas, kid,

I was rasied in Kansas and spent 23 years there before moving to Texas (due to the massive aircraft lay-offs after September 11).  I am VERY proud to say I was rasied in Kansas and even survived two tornados (one destoryed our house while we were inside. I say to make sure that what Kansas is known for is on the coin. If I were to design it I would make sure it had the Tornado and Sunflower, but Oz and Buffalo would be great as-well.  What about putting Dorthy Geocaching in a sunflower field with Buffalo on the front and a tornado sucking up the tracking number on the back. 

Just ideas....

Oh, that's brilliant!! :unsure:

Great ideas, kid,

Thanks...I love the idea of the tracking number being sucked up by the tornado.