Lsd Support Group

warthog

The list of Travel bugs listed below, is as at 30 June 2005 at around 11:00 am South African time as per Geecaching.com.

This is not to harass any member of the caching community, but rather to indicate to the cachers and travel bug owners what is the current situation of the mentioned travel bugs. These are all travel bugs that are in caches in South Africa or in the hands of a cacher after it has been taken from a cache in South Africa and not placed again. All travel bugs reported had no activity for at least 42 days (6 weeks).

Note also that this is a list that I have kept personally and not directly extracted from Geocaching.com and may therefore have ommited travel bugs that I am not aware of or that is not on my watchlist. If the information supplied below is not

the true reflection of the travel bug and you know the true status of the travel bug, please submit a note here as well as on the travel bug's page.

I will publish 10 travel bugs at a time to make reading easier, as well as to rather do it on an ongoing basis rather than all in one go, as there are over 30 travel bugs that have been inactive for more than 6 weeks.

In the hands of a cacher...somewhere...

1. Kero Zero taken from Gold 1 - (Jhb Sterkfontein) by littleloon on 28 March 2003.

Cacher was last active on 24 May 2004.

2. Cadiddles Global Hopper taken from The Lavendar Co by Janco on 1 September 2003.

Cacher was last active on 1 September 2003.

3. Geo-Turd taken from Dassie Caves by Global Viking on 1 September 2003.

Cacher was last active on 15 October 2003.

4. Pablo taken from West Coast National Park, Langebaan by charleslr on 7 September 2003.

Cacher was last active on 18 June 2005.

5. Tosch's Car taken from Smuts House, Irene by WildThing on 25 January 2004.

Cacher was last active on 29 March 2004.

6. Fluffy taken from Fish Eagle by ryani on 8 February 2004.

Cacher was last active on 26 May 2005.

7. MinorPlanets taken from Reporters Riddle 2 by morchie on 5 May 2004.

Cacher was last active on 20 June 2004. Morchie did reply to an email of mine by saying "I appologise for the delay in placing this travel bug....I will hopefully

have a chance over december ... will keep you updated". I have not heard from cacher again.

8. Spiderman vs The Incredile Hulk taken from Silvermine Tales 3 by tramper on 30 May 2004.

Cacher was last active on 16 June 2005.

9. Blue Clip Travel Bug taken from Pretoria-East 001 by 5_star on 2 June 2004.

Cacher was last active on 29 June 2005. According to 5_start this bug was placed in a cache in Mozambique which was rejected by Geocaching.com. Maybe cacher can post the co-ords of the Mozambique cache and someone visiting the area could

then attempt to retrieve it.

10. Subway Bug taken from Paarl Rock Cache by jvisser on 11 July 2004.

Cacher was last active on 2 January 2005.

We have sent innumerable emails to "Colinbo" asking him to get our "Heffalump" TB moving again, but don't even get the courtesy of a reply.

Does anyone know who "Colinbo" is?

The sooner the TB is placed into a cache, the sooner it can continue its journey.

It seems that TBs are an attractive item to "grab", but an extremely unattractive proposition when it comes to getting them placed.

I wonder why .......

And it's not just here in SA, it seems to be a world-wide 'thing'.

Warthog

"Lsd Support group" You going to have “junkies” contacting you from all over the country! ;):D:D (joke!)

The following is what I call good communication relative to a TB that was picked up out of the Campjeep cache---

The Geocoin was retrieved on the 29/05/05 by someone. Within the two weeks period I got an email from that person apologizing to me because he have not placed the geocoin yet. He promised to place it as soon as possible. Within another two weeks 25/06/05 the geocoin was placed! This is a example of a person really playing the game correctly and that has consideration for the owner of the TB. Something unforeseen happened after the picked up the TB but the important thing is he kept the owner updated on what is happening

Thanks AZARUK for being a A+ cacher. A un-activated 2005 Canada geocoin is on the way to you soon with complement from geocacher.co.za!

In the hands of a cacher...somewhere...

11. Donald, where's your troosers?

With cacher Volla for some time now.

Cacher was last active on 16 January 2005.

12. CB taken from Jhb Travel Bug Hotel by Sinjinsin at around November 2004.

Cacher was last active on 13 June 2005. According to a note from Bjbez on 21 November 2004, Sinjinsin would be placing it in Nepal somewhere, any news on this???

13. Beefy.

After being placed in the event cache Capetonian R#1 this one now shows an "Unknown Location".

14. Geo Picnic Bug taken from Klipriviersberg NR by W1ldone on 19 February 2005.

Cacher was last active on 29 May 2005.

15. Reiss the Raptor Travelosaurus was grabbed from

Discombob by Shaka the Thumb Wrestling Queen on 24 February 2005.

Cahcer was last active on 24 February 2005. (Also the day the cacher registered as a member.)

16. The Pocket Watch taken from The Old Radar Station by sandscratcher on 1 March 2005.

Cacher was last active on 28 April 2005.

17. Busby taken from Hemel en Aarde by trevorb on 15 March 2005.

Cacher was last active on 22 May 2005.

18. Trilobug taken from Aviary by Phinius on 3 April 2005.

Cacher was last active on 14 April 2005.

19. Heffalump taken from Gilloolys by Colinbo on 11 April 2005.

Cacher was last active on 12 June 2005.

20. Omaha Globe-Trotter taken from Lemoenkop by Matsokuwier on 15 April 2005.

Cacher was last active on 11 June 2005.

With reference to Heffalump TB:

I understand that Colinbo is currently out of the country.

I fervently hope that he has Heffalump with him and will have the opportunity to place it in an overseas cache.

Being out of the country on business is something that cannot be described as "not playing the game", and we look forward to his return.

I'll tell you something, though ....... when he gets back and checks his email ..... boy, is his inbox going to be full!!!!!

My TB Castle Draft has been held by Mavenhugh since 17/4/05. :rolleyes:

I have e-mailed him twice (no reply, of course) asking him to drop the Tb in a cache. :anitongue:

I know he is still active as he visited the webpages on the 18th of June.

Globalrat has offered to try & make contact, to try and "grab" the Tb. I hope he is succesful.

Whostops, sadly no reply so far. Three emails down.

Note for TB owners, there are a handful of TB graveyard caches where you can plonk your dead TB's. Those that have gone missing in ransacked caches are unlikely to surface again.

As for Beefy... I hope one of the folks that attended the Cape Town event cache owns up as to who went home with it... comeon chaps... there's a number of you that attended that event that read these forums... someone must have seen the perp!!

I gave beefy to Peter Scholtz, and he says that Peter Robson now has beefy. I mailed Peter robson a while back but got no answer. I'll ask his sister, as I know her.

I also mailed Shaka last night about Reiss the travellosaurus. It seems she is GPSless at the moment, but perhaps she can make a plan to contact a local cacher in America in the forums to hand him over.

14. Geo Picnic Bug taken from Klipriviersberg NR by W1ldone on 19 February 2005.

Cacher was last active on 29 May 2005.

Got a mail from W1|done about GeoPicnic :

--snip--

Sorry about that. Winter kind of put a damper on things. We are going to the

drakensberg in August and I thought I would go drop it somewhere there.

--snip--

Sorry about that. Winter kind of put a damper on things. We are going to the

drakensberg in August and I thought I would go drop it somewhere there

Winter started late this year! February was still very nice weather. I did klipriver a few weeks ago and there was still no "trace" of winter! Let me see, guidelines say two weeks-19 February+two weeks =5 March……….. B):unsure::mad:B)

An excuse like the weather is just not good enough. To me that is a very lame excuse. :mad::DB)

Brick you have reason to be just a little mad!

Edited by geocacher_coza

Just an update before the weekend starts...

In a cache, eagerly awaiting collection...

These are all the Travel bugs still in caches for more than 42 days (as per Geocaching). If you know of any of these, where the information is different, please post a reply.

1. Afra in Eagle's Nest.

2. Keep the ball moving II in Double Mouth Delight.

3. Wicked Witch of the West in Sani Pass Top.

4. Escaped from Boston in Sentinel View.

5. You are a genius Tony in Whale Tales.

6. Ursula in Lapamanti.

7. Ant Travel Bug in Boemsans Kloof Trail - Greyton.

8. Annabel Lee in Whale Tales.

9. The Globe Trotter in Madiba Trail Bloemfontein.

10. Earth Watcher in N1 Sandriver.

11. TB Ticky-The First Aid in Stoddard's Demise.

12. 808 Racer in Swellendam Reservoir.

13. Frodo goes to Michigan in Greyton Koppie Cache.

14. German Geocoin Goldstuck II in Magaliesberg 1.

15. Mickeys World Tour Travel Bug in Dirty Water.

We will be off to the "Flat lands" later today, to assist in the rescue of our friends that are stuck there.

My TB Castle Draft has been held by Mavenhugh since 17/4/05. :D

I have e-mailed him twice (no reply, of course) asking him to drop the Tb in a cache. :D

I know he is still active as he visited the webpages on the 18th of June.

Globalrat has offered to try & make contact, to try and "grab" the Tb. I hope he is succesful.

I really hope this TB has not gone missing - did so much effort to find it and bring it to JHB, and had some wonderful "pints" with it.. Hope Mavenhugh comes to light some time.

Also missing is Travel Book Bug from Tree in the Middle. Seems FD_Dazzy picked it up but never registered the TB. This one came a long way and would be a pity if it doesn't complete the journey

We will be off to the "Flat lands" later today, to assist in the rescue of our friends that are stuck there.

Hope yeah survive the ordeal :D

No luck on Castle Draught TB as yet :D

Suggestion to TB owners. TB's often go missing when noobs pick them up. They reckon this is just another collectable trade item. Also there are those folks that don't participate in Geocaching but stumble across a cache. The cache note explains caching and also invites them to trade an item.....ooops if it is a travel bug they take.... afterall it's a cool dog tag attached to some weird toy!!

Now, this will not stop those precious bugs from going missing, but I now attach a laminated note to my TB’s. The note basically explains what a TB is, and that it should not be taken if the person has no intention of moving it along safely and expediently, or has no intention of participating in Geocaching (yes there are people that find caches without logging, and there are those that just stumble across a cache). In big letters “THIS IS NOT A TRADEABLE ITEM”.

This won't stop those bug funeral's, but perhaps it will save a few. :D

Anyone out there work for Netstar or Tracker??? Come up with a mini unit to track these suckers down :D:D Consider Geocaching a pilot site for tracking small items all around the world :D South Africa could revolutionise the Travel Bug!

Hope yeah survive the ordeal

We are back alive and healthy from Bloemfontein, but with some bad news.

I visited the two Bloemfontein caches, and must report that the TB "The Globe Trotter" in Madiba Trail Cache must have "trotted on" as I could not find it. I would have definately noticed a pig of such stature and it was definately not there. I was however able to find my own TB, Starlight at at Women's Monument cache.

Neither did I find any trace of "Earth Watcher" in N1 Sandriver cache.

:lol: This is really heartbreaking that our first Travel Bug race must start off with so many casualties :D

:oNudge, nudge, wink, wink, if there are any Bloemfontein or Freestate cachers reading this, how about placing a cache overlooking the Weekly Farmers Market in the Langenhovenpark suburb. Great Farmers market to visit (only on Saturdays), nice little koppie nearby to place a cache, which currently is complete open to access. :P

Heffalump is still missing in action, and yet I see that "Colinbo" was active in the forums on the 27th July 2005!

Please :lol: If anyone knows who he is, or has an alternative email address for this cacher, please let us know. Or if you know him personally I would be so grateful if someone would intervene and just set Heffalump free.

This is my (Susan's) first TB and I am simply heartbroken that he has got lost....especially since I had to painfully explain that "an elephant from South Africa was going to be dropped off by a stranger" to my mother in Australia...and that it was a game!

She is still very cautious when she asks me what I have been doing lately! <_<

Heffalump is still missing in action, and yet I see that "Colinbo" was active in the forums on the 27th July 2005!

Please ;) If anyone knows who he is, or has an alternative email address for this cacher, please let us know.

You've got mail!

Say... any chance of seeing Azarul as a fully fledged geocacher???

You've got mail!

Say... any chance of seeing Azarul as a fully fledged geocacher???

1. Who has got mail? :laughing:

2. Who is Azarul?;)

3. What is meant by the question: "Any chance of seeing Azarul as a fully fledged geocacher?" :laughing:

Both of us are confused.

What on earth are you getting at? ;)

Edited by Azaruk

1. Who has got mail? :rolleyes:

2. Who is Azarul?<_<

3. What is meant by the question: "Any chance of seeing Azarul as a fully fledged geocacher?" :blink:

1. You do... you requested an email address and I have emailed it to you

2. Could be my error here.. but thought I had seen on the forums somewhere or on your signature cards that the cards were signed "Azarul" or something similar..but not Azaruk....i.e. that Susan had a different name.... therefore Q3... Apologies for the confusion, clearly got the name wrong.... :lol: Just ignore!

Ah Ha!!!!!

It's not me going nuts!!! :blink:

Looks like Susan made a boo-boo with the name - typing too fast, probably, hitting the 'l' instead of the 'k'.

Whostops gets the weekly prize for spotting typographical errors in forum posts and will elevated to the status of "Commander in Chief of Swiss Army Knife Users Who Use Their Tool as an Avatar"

The email must have gone to into hibernation for a while, only arriving after I had posted. I was too darned lazy to go back and edit the post!

It's a cool idea though - Azaruk and Azarul, or Azarub and Azarug, Azaruf and Azarut, and so on ........ :wacko: Nah ... must be 'cos it's Friday ......... we'll stick to Azaruk!

Have a great weekend!!! :lol:

An update before the weekend, just in case this may help in planning your caching weekend...

Still stuck, please come and fetch me!!!

Fuzzy Wuzzy in Snakes and Ladders

Noddy 1 - ZN in Stainbank

Paper Kings in Stainbank - HELP!!! I need to be in Cape Town!!!

Greg Wiggle in NebrascacheZA

From One to Another in NebrascacheZA

Kosch06 Geocoin in NebrascacheZA

Dan Dolphin in KZN TB Hotel

Eyeore in KZN TB Hotel

Marathon Bug in Troll Hole

Stag Bettle - Hampshire County Council Travel Bug in The Lavendar Co

Gremon in Zulu 7

Beaver OBI in Urban Tag #1

TB Ticky - The First Aid in Stoddard's Demise

Annabel Lee in Whales Tales

Ursula in Lapamanti

Beefy in Capetonians R#1 ???

Wicked Witch of the West in Sani Pass Top

Afra in Eagle's Nest

Please place me!!!

Bushy taken from Hemel en Aarde by Trevorb on 13/05/2005 (84 days)

Omaha Globe-Trotter taken from Lemoenkop by Masokuwier on 15/4/2005 (112 days)

Heffalump taken from Gillooly's by Colinbo on 11/4/2005 (116 days)

The Pocket Watch taken from The Old Radar Station by sandscratcher on 1/03/2005 (157 days)

Reiss The Raptor Travelosaurus In the hands of Shaka the Thumb Wrestling Queen since 24/02/2004 (162 days)

Further than this, I am not going to report, as none of the others collected from a cache more than a year ago has changed in any way.

Noddy 1 - ZN in Stainbank

Paper Kings in Stainbank - HELP!!! I need to be in Cape Town!!!

Greg Wiggle in NebrascacheZA

From One to Another in NebrascacheZA

Kosch06 Geocoin in NebrascacheZA

Eyeore in KZN TB Hotel

Marathon Bug in Troll Hole

I'll hopefully be helping a few of these on there way shortly

as for...TB Ticky - The First Aid in Stoddard's Demise...best you detectives get cracking. I'll move the TB on in a few weeks if no-one cracks the case :wacko:

as for...TB Ticky - The First Aid in Stoddard's Demise...best you detectives get cracking. I'll move the TB on in a few weeks if no-one cracks the case

I have already enlisted the CIA on this one and hopefully we will be able to crack this one in the next week or so.

I just hope it does not have to go to the extreme where the CIA will have to resort to torturing methods on "Brick", as he has been the only one to find the cache so far. :wacko:

Whostops gets the weekly prize for spotting typographical errors in forum posts and will elevated to the status of "Commander in Chief of Swiss Army Knife Users Who Use Their Tool as an Avatar"

:lol:

AS long as we can laugh at ourselves & take a gentle elbow in the ribs at the same time !!

mmmmmm report back time

:lol: Saved Greg Wiggle in NebrascacheZA

:lol: Saved From One to Another in NebrascacheZA

:lol: SavedKosch06 Geocoin in NebrascacheZA

:mad: Saved Marathon Bug in Troll Hole

:mad:

Eyeore in KZN TB Hotel

These two, according to the log book in the cache were removed from the cache by Azaruk over two weeks ago!

The only Cacher to visit the cache since Fordus according to the logbook is Clifton Seeker. There are NO TB's in this cache.

Nice to see that a bit of prodding assists in getting TBs going. However, from what I have seen from GlobalRat, if you want the guy to visit your cache, just put a TB in it. :P

Another "In the hands of..." popped up on the radar.

TB Debbie in the hands of TeamHermit has not moved now for 47 days (since 24/6/2005). Is it that cold in the Cape?

Just want to make a point here .......

Those of us who work for a living can only get out to cache over weekends. Often, the Saturday is spent doing the essential things needed to effectively and efficiently run the house. You know, grocery shopping, cleaning the car, sorting out the house after a week of destruction caused by kids and so on.

This leaves Sunday to go caching (weather permitting).

So ....... although the system flags TB's after a two week period, in actual fact, the time can be logically assumed to be two days!!!!

So don't panic if it seems that TB's are being held for what appears to be a long time. They aren't really.

I'm sure all players do their best, although I do agree that the TB owner should be contacted if there is a delay to let him/her know that the TB hasn't been forgotten.

I would much rather know that my TB is safe and will be placed asap, than have it disappear into never-never land for ever.

None of us know what other players' circumstances are .... sometimes a well-planned caching expedition on a Sunday has to be cancelled due to unforseen circumstances, something noone has any control over, and another delay is incurred.

Eventually, though, the TB's will be placed and calm will once again prevail. ;)

One of ours has been out of action for months. The player who grabbed it has been out of the country on business. There is nothing we can do about it, except hope that upon his return, the TB will be moved into a new cache.

Edited by Azaruk

This doesn't stop you logging the REMOVAL of Dan Dolphin & Eyeore from the KZN TB Hotel!!

I do hear you regarding the REPLACEMENT of TB's though. Unfortunately 'life' interferes with Geocaching and good intentions can come undone and one sits with a TB for longer than expected. As always, one should inform the TB owners of ones intentions with a delayed TB.

To add further comment. Part of the strategy of this global sport, and the inherent attraction of TB's, is for Cache owners to attract cachers with TB's in their caches. There are even "TB prison caches' overseas. These are 'gaol caches' where TB's get hijacked to and have to be saved by cachers at large. Often the TB owners get involved with local cachers to assist in getting their bugs released. So, seeing a TB in a cache for an extended period of time should just encourage cachers to get to the cache.

Of greater concern are TB's in cachers hands for extended periods of time...and those that go missing.

Edited by GlobalRat
This doesn't stop you logging the REMOVAL of Dan Dolphin & Eyeore from the KZN TB Hotel!!

Quite right - and for that I apologise. We had the best of intentions last weekend to place these TB's, but unfortunately, were unable.

I will be replacing them at TB Hotel today or tomorrow.

We just don't have the time to give proper attention to the game at the moment.

I'll post a note when it is done.

-- Copy of email sent to Colinbo --

Hi

You have had the "Heffalump" TB for quite a while now, preventing it from moving to its destination. PLEASE, either hand it to another cacher, or place it an a cache as soon as you can.

It ruins the game completely when this sort of thing happens.

Susan, and her mother in Australia, are deeply disappointed over this situation.

Thanks