Seeking Advice About Recovery Report

m&h

We just logged a mark on this site that we're not sure how to proceed with at NGS. The PID is MO0962, designated U 344. The description places the disk on the south face of the southernmost of 4 columns in the east pier of the overpass.

The disk is now in the west face of the column, and bears the additional stamping "RESET 2000."

The NGS database appears not to contain this information. It's not on the MO0962 sheet, and a radial search of the area does not yield a RESET at this site.

Can we say all that on a mark recovery form, or should we e-mail Deb Brown and/or Cheryl Malone? Many thanks.

We just logged a mark on this site that we're not sure how to proceed with at NGS. The PID is MO0962, designated U 344. The description places the disk on the south face of the southernmost of 4 columns in the east pier of the overpass.

The disk is now in the west face of the column, and bears the additional stamping "RESET 2000."

OK - you did NOT find PID MO0962 U344

You DID find fin U334 RESET 2000

which is a "Non Database" mark

You've got a "Not found" on MO0962 and a found on a non database mark

M&H,

Let me think out loud a little..

You Said:

>We just logged a mark on this site that we're not sure how to proceed with at NGS. The PID is MO0962, designated U 344. The description places the disk on the south face of the southernmost of 4 columns in the east pier of the overpass.

>The disk is now in the west face of the column, and bears the additional stamping "RESET 2000."

What is there to be found where the description leads you? If nothing I would report to NGS what is there. If nothing is there then I would say that you found the location but the station is now gone. (Not found) If it would be helpful to future hunters which may not be aware of a reset, I would add that there appears to be a reset for this station, but that a Datasheet for the new station does not appear to be available at the time of this writing. ** The important thing you are saying is that you are cluing future Surveyors to the possibility of a reset with data, but that at the time you worked the area, this information was not yet available, even though the reset station was.**

Unfortunately there is no way to file a found on a station which has not yet been added to the database.

>The NGS database appears not to contain this information. It's not on the MO0962 sheet, and a radial search of the area does not yield a RESET at this site.

>Can we say all that on a mark recovery form, or should we e-mail Deb Brown and/or Cheryl Malone? Many thanks.

I bolded what I would say, but an email to Cheryl about what you found and that you did not find a datasheet for the reset available is a good idea. Feel free to ask her if she can find any data on the reset station and what it's status is. Give her as much info as you can so as to help her, help you.

Rob

Edited by evenfall

This brings up an interesting side discussion. Some time ago, I found (and Recovered) a Station that had a RESET disk on it, even though the datasheet had no mention of the resetting. Normally, I would have done something like what is detailed above, but in this case, there had been a previous Recovery (by the NGS, no less!) that was *after* the date of the resetting (as per the disk, itself), but which made no mention of the RESET disk or stamping. The RESET disk was in the exact same spot as the original, by the way. At this point, because an NGS team had already paved the way, I mentioned the apparent discrepancy in my report. There was virtually no possibility that the NGS had Recovered a different disk, unless they completely typoed the PID on the Recovery. I decided that it was more likely that they missed the RESET stamping.