Why So Many Lame...cachers?

Joypa

With a bit of sarcasm directed at those who complain about lame micros or lame ammo boxes or lame placement locations, why not now discuss lame cachers. These would be those who don't trade equally or up, those who take TB's and do not place them again, those who do not bother to carefully rehide the cache, those who don't hide any at all, etc... These cachers are lame!

I am ready to name names (but not really). Lame cachers detract from enjoyment of the hobby. Let's get 'em!

Back in "The Day" cachers were a noble breed. They place their caches to stand alone until that day when another of their rare breed would come along and find it. The caches were placed in locations of interest, history, scenery, and general worthiness. When you found one you felt good, like you had just accomplished something.

Now it seems all you need to do to be a cacher is toss a breath strip container under a bush and mark a waypoint before you get back home. Even trained monkeys can do better than that (but the caches all smell like butt). Yesterdays training meant discovering the world and it's hidden gems. Today’s cachers study the newer arts of wet logs, broken containers, leadless pencils, and advanced needle in a haystack. The creativity is gone.

Oh to go back to the days of old...Sort of like Navicache is now. :rolleyes:

One last thing. I'M KIDDING. Unclench the fists, and let the adrenalin high come down. :blink:

Add to the definition of lame cachers, those who abuse the Jeep Travel Bugs. With the yellows, they hoarded, kept, only let friends log them. Appears that the same is happening with the whites. Selfish, inconsiderate, but not ignorant --- they know what they are doing is wrong, but do not care.

Back in "The Day" cachers were a noble breed.  They place their caches to stand alone until that day when another of their rare breed would come along and find it.

Then that other rare cacher would find it and then wait another 6 months for a new cache to appear.

The caches were placed in locations of interest, history, scenery, and general worthiness.  When you found one you felt good, like you had just accomplished something.

These were sometimes known by strange names such as a virtual cache or even the archaic Locationless cache.

Now it seems all you need to do to be a cacher is toss a breath strip container under a bush and mark a waypoint before you get back home.

And yet they rejoice and seem to still come back for more.

Even trained monkeys can do better than that (but the caches all smell like butt).

They tried, these were called APE caches and they quickly became extinct.

Yesterdays training meant discovering the world and it's hidden gems. Today’s cachers study the newer arts of wet logs, broken containers, leadless pencils, and advanced needle in a haystack.  The creativity is gone.

Actually the increase of the inane has lead to even more creative ideas than previously, they are just fewer and further between.

Oh to go back to the days of old...Sort of like Navicache is now.  :rolleyes:

One last thing.  I'M KIDDING.  Unclench the fists, and let the adrenalin high come down. :blink:

You know I love you RK! :P

Even trained monkeys can do better than that (but the caches all smell like butt).

They tried, these were called APE caches and they quickly became extinct.

They are not extinct, but are endangered. I can tell you exactly where the last three are and describe the locations perfectly. I know because I've seen them first hand. So has MissJenn. Fortunately, good cachers are keeping them up.

The Lame Cacher

Rips the limbs from off a tree

Drops his pants to take a pee

Grabs the cache out of it's place

Takes the TB from its base

Trades a golf ball for some cash

Slams the lid, gives it a bash

Drops the box somewhere near

Leaving it out in the clear

Can't be bothered with the trash

Leaves it somewhere near the cache

Forgets to log his joyful find

Puts the TB out of mind

Amen! I've just been griping about finding LAME cache contents lately. I haven't yet found one empty, but I've found several with nothing but the remnants of too-cheap toys and crayon bits rolling around in the corners. If the stuff didn't matter, we'd all hide @#%^! micros! I guess I'll be servicing my caches pretty frequently to ensure that they have some decent danged swag in them. Sheesh.

uggh @ McToy caches, perhaps they need a new category, maybe "catch all", or "crap", or "glove compartment" caches ?, the sad thing is alot of folks don't understand the "trade even, trade up, or don't trade" deal, they happily take a $10 dollar item and leave a 50 cent luggage tag, whats up with that ?

Now it seems all you need to do to be a cacher is toss a breath strip container under a bush and mark a waypoint. Then when you get home you can request and within 3-4 days recieve approval from a www.geocaching.com volunteer approver and before you know it your cache appears on the www.geocaching.com web site. Then within 5 hours or so someone will excitedly post a first to find on your cache. Ain't life grand? :rolleyes:

Now it seems all you need to do to be a cacher is toss a breath strip container under a bush and mark a waypoint.

My wife and I were commenting recently that exactly this is happening in our area. There is one cacher especially, who I believe drives down the road and randomly throws out a cache while marking the waypoint. Putting out a cache just because you can is not necessarily a good thing. I may have to use the "ignore this cache" function with that cachers hides. Maybe we could upgrade the function to "Ignore caches by this user."

(Edited to correct spelling mistake)

Edited by dzdiver
Now it seems all you need to do to be a cacher is toss a breath strip container under a bush and mark a waypoint.

My wife and I were commenting recently that exactly this is happening in our area. There is one cacher especially, who I believe drives down the road and randomly throughs out a cache while marking the waypoint. Putting out a cache just because you can is not necessarily a good thing. I may have to use the "ignore this cache" function with that cachers hides. Maybe we could upgrade the function to "Ignore caches by this user."

throws :D

Back in "The Day" cachers were a noble breed. They place their caches to stand alone until that day when another of their rare breed would come along and find it. The caches were placed in locations of interest, history, scenery, and general worthiness. When you found one you felt good, like you had just accomplished something.

Now it seems all you need to do to be a cacher is toss a breath strip container under a bush and mark a waypoint before you get back home. Even trained monkeys can do better than that (but the caches all smell like butt). Yesterdays training meant discovering the world and it's hidden gems. Today’s cachers study the newer arts of wet logs, broken containers, leadless pencils, and advanced needle in a haystack. The creativity is gone.

Oh to go back to the days of old...Sort of like Navicache is now. :D

One last thing. I'M KIDDING. Unclench the fists, and let the adrenalin high come down. :D

WOW such a moving piece, I couldn't have said it better. A single tear is rolling down my cheek. I just can say more you have said it all.

Basically a lame cache is on that has NO imigination. A film canister in a rock pile, my 6 year old son can do better. It may be in a lame location or the location maybe part of the imigination of the cache but if it is well thought out and has varity then it is a worthy cache.

cheers

Those who don't rehide the cache are as good as muggles as this often leads to a stolen cache unless it's out in the midde of nowhere where nobody tries to go.

Those who hide lame hides aren't that much better bcause whats the fun if you don't go to a nice place and have a good time, or get a kick out of a great hide.

Lame cachers need to change into good cachers, or reconsider there hides and plan better future ones.

You're so lame

You probably think this rhyme's about you

You're so lame

I bet you think this rhyme's about you

Don't you

Don't you

(with apology to Carly Simon)

Seriously, lame is as lame does

(with apology to Carla)

Enough with the word "lame"

Let's retire it.

How about inadequate, as in "His cache is inadequate."

Or Crappy, as in "You have a crappy cache."

Or "This cache eats the royal big one."

Or "I found a cache that sucks eggs."

Come on, coin your own. Just let's get rid of "lame".

You could kill lame with "nice", I suppose... as that's what "nice" often means.

As in not enjoyable or unique or difficult or any other potentially positive adjective to have said adjective applied to it...

But not even awful enough to be attain a creatively derogatory appellation.

I've been kind of fuming about this very subject for a few days now and I hate to say anything negative about this game I love so much or the people who play it, but...

(NOTE: "But" is a conjunction which can generally be taken to mean "Ignore everything before this word) :D

Caches and cachers are few and far between in my part of Arkansas. There's a handful of us and we do our best to help the game grow as much as possible but progress is slow, it's a poor area in hard times.

But when I put out a cache with about 40 dollars worth of goodies in it, only to see nice items replaced with golfballs and garbage, it's more than a little annoying. (May not be much to others, but 40 bucks is a big chunk of change to me.)

Then when that cache isn't getting a lot of traffic because it's not a drive up, (you actually have to separate butt from upholstry and devote a couple hours to taking a nice hike through a very pretty area) and there's nothing but McGumf in it, I put a new TB in it, along with a USA Geocoin and what happens? The next cacher that comes along takes BOTH the TB and the Geocoin and leaves the incredibly valuable, creative, and thoughtful treasure of two whole dollars.

Yes, I'm a little annoyed.

Don't get me wrong. If you can't afford to trade even for the 6 dollar compass but you need a compass, TAKE it! I don't mind! But put something in the cache that shows me you cared enough to think about what you were leaving for the next guy!Or at least take the time to write something really interesting in the log or on the cache page!

I didn't put that $4.99 TB in there so some unimaginative bozo could "buy" it for two dollars!

If you can't afford to spend money on TBs and Geocoins and such, that's okay! Look around you! I don't care how broke you are, a little imagination and thoughtfulness goes a long way!

Keep your eyes open for things that some one else might like to find in a cache.

No, Geocaching isn't about the "payoff" at the end of the hunt, it's about the hunt itself.

But finding something nice and thoughtful that someone before you has left for you makes the whole thing just that much more enjoyable.

Besides, when a muggle sees your "cool thing" and asks you where you got it, you have a great opportunity to use a Geocaching story as a way to introduce someone new to the game.

But nobody's ever going to go out and buy a GPS because they saw your extensive McJunk collection.

Rant off, I don't mean to offend or anger anyone, I just want to see this game continue to live and grow and that won't happen if it devolves into a game of all "takers" and no "givers."

I've been kind of fuming about this very subject for a few days now and I hate to say anything negative about this game I love so much or the people who play it, but...

(NOTE: "But" is a conjunction which can generally be taken to mean "Ignore everything before this word) :)

Caches and cachers are few and far between in my part of Arkansas. There's a handful of us and we do our best to help the game grow as much as possible but progress is slow, it's a poor area in hard times.

But when I put out a cache with about 40 dollars worth of goodies in it, only to see nice items replaced with golfballs and garbage, it's more than a little annoying. (May not be much to others, but 40 bucks is a big chunk of change to me.)

Then when that cache isn't getting a lot of traffic because it's not a drive up, (you actually have to separate butt from upholstry and devote a couple hours to taking a nice hike through a very pretty area) and there's nothing but McGumf in it, I put a new TB in it, along with a USA Geocoin and what happens? The next cacher that comes along takes BOTH the TB and the Geocoin and leaves the incredibly valuable, creative, and thoughtful treasure of two whole dollars.

Yes, I'm a little annoyed.

Don't get me wrong. If you can't afford to trade even for the 6 dollar compass but you need a compass, TAKE it! I don't mind! But put something in the cache that shows me you cared enough to think about what you were leaving for the next guy!Or at least take the time to write something really interesting in the log or on the cache page!

I didn't put that $4.99 TB in there so some unimaginative bozo could "buy" it for two dollars!

If you can't afford to spend money on TBs and Geocoins and such, that's okay! Look around you! I don't care how broke you are, a little imagination and thoughtfulness goes a long way!

Keep your eyes open for things that some one else might like to find in a cache.

No, Geocaching isn't about the "payoff" at the end of the hunt, it's about the hunt itself.

But finding something nice and thoughtful that someone before you has left for you makes the whole thing just that much more enjoyable.

Besides, when a muggle sees your "cool thing" and asks you where you got it, you have a great opportunity to use a Geocaching story as a way to introduce someone new to the game.

But nobody's ever going to go out and buy a GPS because they saw your extensive McJunk collection.

Rant off, I don't mean to offend or anger anyone, I just want to see this game continue to live and grow and that won't happen if it devolves into a game of all "takers" and no "givers."

Which is why I like hiding micros. :) On the upswing, I'm going to start reworking some of these caches making them more evil and less bland.

... I put a new TB in it, along with a USA Geocoin and what happens? The next cacher that comes along takes BOTH the TB and the Geocoin and leaves the incredibly valuable, creative, and thoughtful treasure of two whole dollars.

TBs and travelling Geocoins are not normally considered trade items. The situation you just described could actually be considered trading up, since the visitor to the cache took no trade items, but left something in return.

TBs and travelling Geocoins are not normally considered trade items. The  situation you just described could actually be considered trading up, since the visitor to the cache took no trade items, but left something in return.

I understand what you're saying but then again, I don't take a TB unless I have one to leave. Trading TBs for TBs is inarguably an even trade, trading TBs for Geocoins isn't exactly "even" but Geocoins are rare and I don't have a problem with it. (Although after finding my first one, I bought two of my own so that I'd have something to trade even or up next time!)

And sadly, I've learned the hard way to stop putting Silva compasses, Nalgene water bottles, and other nice things in my caches. I generally load'em pretty cheap now days and save the nice items for trade stock on those rare occasions when I find something nice in someone else's cache.

Leaving a couple of bucks seems kind of callous and thoughtless.

But either way, nobody's breaking a "rule" so there's not much to be done about it except complain. (Which I'm finishing with this post.)

(Of course, there's also precious little that can be done if someone IS breaking rules!)

I'm not saying what's right and what's wrong, I'm just saying that it bothered me.

All it takes is a little ingenuity, creativity, and thoughtfulness and the issue will never come up but that's too much to ask of some folks and while there's nothing to be done about that, it's still a shame.

~shrug~

Edited by Team Panda