Explorist 400

I've seen them on the shelves, but I'll confess I can't recall where. (The GPSBabel development for explorist was done on a prerelease 400, so it caught my eye when I started seeing "official" units on the shelves.)

I think we hear less about them because they're the last of the three out the door (the 500 and 600 crowd already debugged the manuals, unravelled the power cord mysteries, learned about the batteries, and generally took the arrows in the chest) and a less "sexy" upgrade without the color screen. So I think they're going to be more quiet entry into the market. But I've seen a few posts from people that have them, so they do exist in the wild.

I actually ordered the 400 at the end of May and was informed that it wouldn't be available until June 21st so I bought a 200 just to get me through. June 21st came around and the release was delayed again.

According to TigerGPS.com (posted on June 22, 2005):

DUE TO A SOFTWARE PROBLEM, MAGELLAN HAS AGAIN DELAYED SHIPMENT OF THE EXPLORIST 400. YOU CAN STILL PREORDER IT (TIGER GPS DOES NOT CHARGE YOUR CARD UNTIL WE SHIP) OR LOOK AT ANOTHER MODEL

Apparently they did ship some units around the first of June but then delayed the second shipment. I have talked to two Magellan sales reps on the phone and one told that they where already shipping and the other told me to watch the website for press releases announcing the 'release' but he wouldn't give me a date.

Now I'm waiting to see what happens with this unit. The cost difference between the 400 and 500 isn't that big. I should probably just order the 500. :blink:

I actually ordered the 400 at the end of May and was informed that it wouldn't be available until June 21st so I bought a 200 just to get me through. June 21st came around and the release was delayed again.

According to TigerGPS.com (posted on June 22, 2005):

DUE TO A SOFTWARE PROBLEM, MAGELLAN HAS AGAIN DELAYED SHIPMENT OF THE EXPLORIST 400. YOU CAN STILL PREORDER IT (TIGER GPS DOES NOT CHARGE YOUR CARD UNTIL WE SHIP) OR LOOK AT ANOTHER MODEL

Apparently they did ship some units around the first of June but then delayed the second shipment. I have talked to two Magellan sales reps on the phone and one told that they where already shipping and the other told me to watch the website for press releases announcing the 'release' but he wouldn't give me a date.

Now I'm waiting to see what happens with this unit. The cost difference between the 400 and 500 isn't that big. I should probably just order the 500. :blink:

That's the same story TigerGPS gave about their delay of the 600, while other online stores were shipping theirs. You'd think they would come up with a new story.

--Marky

Just bumping this topic back into view - it's been over a month and I still can't find these at MalWart, GI-Joes, or anywhere else locally. And the usual online shops still say "coming soon."

Has anyone received any of these in the US yet? I want one but don't feel like going to Canada for it!

Edited by lee_rimar

For those of you reading from Canada:

I just picked mine up yesterday from Crappy Tire in Kanata (Ontario). They have it listed on their website (http://www.canadiantire.ca) for $379.99CAD. GPS Central and GPS City (both in Alberta) are selling them online for $339.95CAD but are out of stock. I have had the same problem trying to find one locally.

I called Crappy Tire's 1-800 service number and asked them if they would price match their in-store stock with a web store's list price and they said they would! All I had to do is print off the web store's listing page with the price and bring it in to the store that has the unit and pay for it at the customer service desk. As a bonus, they gave me $17 in Crappy Tire money which I promptly applied toward the purchase. In total, I saved $57 from their list price. It pays to do your research! ;)