Cache On Personal Property

Ky Hunter

I was thinking about putting a cache on my property so that I may get a chance to meet some other geocachers.I have about 50 acres but I am wondering about the possibility of "unwanted personality types" being a problem. I believe that a vast majority of geocachers are most likely really good folks. How many are not so nice is my question I guess. :lol::blink::blink:

I've found one of the "front yard" caches before. We knocked on the door and hung out with the cachers-at-home for a short time.

From reading the logs of that cache, most other finders don't seek out the cache owner...

I'd put one on my own property if I had any... and one in my front yard if I had one.

Jamie

I've met a few jerks, but no 'unwanted personality types'. I doubt that you would have a problem. Heck, a number of people have caches in their front yards.

Thats pretty much what I thought would be the case, but a person never knows till they ask. A very smart man once told me "A stupid question is much better than a stupid mistake" I have found that to be true many times.

I dont know how close your neighbor's driveway is to your own, but you may want to consider putting something on the cache page to indicate which driveway is correct. Also mention the fact that you own the property.

I once went searching for a cache that turned out to be on the property of the cache owner, but they failed to mention that on the page. Im stading there on a sidewalk with my GPS pointing me 200' toward a group of houses. Even if I had known that this was hidden on the cache owner's property, without some indication as to which property was correct, I would have run the risk of trespassing into a neighbor's yard because of GPS accuracy.

Needless to say, I called off the search for that one.

The only exception would be a rare "cache pirate" and if one entered your property, you could shoot him :blink: .

:blink:

I found a cache recently that was just across the street from the hider's home. The area was common area for the community, and they even told you which driveway to park in. When we were done and heading back to the car, they came out and talked to us for a while. They were pretty new at caching so were happy to meet some folks.

They've been to two of our events now and are having a great time.

:lol:

I have 3 caches up on my hillside pasture which sits back behind my home. No problems so far. The main thing I ask is to secure the gate so the livestock don't escape. I do mention on the cache pages that this is property that I own.

If I'm home and not busy, I'll go up to the parking area to greet them and see how they did and if there was any problems finding the caches. Response for the greeting has always been positive. One cacher even gave me a yellow jeep tb to show his appreciation!

I was thinking about putting a cache on my property so that I may get a chance to meet some other geocachers.I have about 50 acres but I am wondering about the possibility of "unwanted personality types" being a problem. I believe that a vast majority of geocachers are most likely really good folks. How many are not so nice is my question I guess. :D:(:blink:

LOL so your willing to have "unwanted personality types" go to someone else land but not YOURS. Humm seems kind of a nose in the air kind of thing. Okay kidding but really if you are willing to have people go to some place else to find a cache then why not your own property. And it is well just......

cheers

We have a cache that is very near our house. The cache is admittedly a 1-1. No one except a really new cacher would have too much trouble with it because of its "camoflauge."

We've only had two cache teams come up and meet us and they were people we already knew (one from a cache event and one we got involved in caching ourselves.)

As always, it's whatever makes you happy within the rules. If people are uncomfortable, they may not hunt it.

Momma Marauder

My first cache to place was on property owned by my family. It's been a lot of fun, and a great way to get updated on the weather and current condition of the property. It's up in the mountains, so when there was a lot of snow, not so many cachers! We knew exactly when to head up because people started logging again once the snow had melted. I don't know if I'd put one on my home property, just because of people accidentally going onto neighbors property might get annoying. But if you have a large piece of land and neighbors aren't too close I think it's a great idea!

Private Property as in real estate. Personal property is like cars, boats and furniture and stuff like that there.  :D

it doesn't matter what it is, Land cars or houses. If you don't own it, and I do. I consider it personal property!!

Edited by Ky Hunter
Private Property as in real estate. Personal property is like cars, boats and furniture and stuff like that there.  :D

I just noticed you were the only one who mentioned personal, or private property anyway. Unless I overlooked someone.

For an answer to what, and where the cache would be is , A large Cache in a small wooded area where people may get a glance at some wildlife such as Deer, Turkey, Groundhogs, Coyote's and such. It may even become a TB hotel(hehehe) since I am so close to dead center of Ky., 5 miles off I-65. I think that would be a good place for one.

Edited by Ky Hunter

I had a nice experience with a cache placed on private property. In the cache description they gave enough specifics that you knew which was the right place. Turns out it was a B&B owned by a retired couple. I found the cache quickly and as I was signing the log the owner came out and we had a nice chat. He wasn't a cacher, but his grandson was, and that's who placed the cache. So, we had a pleasant early spring sunset chat about kids, caching, and the business trip that brought me to the area. Pretty cool!

if you can place nearby ideal. not on front gardenor drive....i'd rather my neighbours didn't get used to seeing people acting suspiciously on my front garden. that way when the burglar is hanging aroundthey'll call the police.

the idea of within sight or on some extended grounds ideal. that way you'll see them and can meet them if you want without having unknown people too close to house.