Saving Info Offline

Ky Hunter

Hello folks, being pretty dang new to the Geocaching, computers, and GPS's as well, there is a whole buncha stuff I need to get acquainted with.LOL Right now I really need to know how to save the cache info offline onto my laptop so I can still see the cache info. this weekend while camping. (Dale Hollow Lake State Park in Ky. for those who may be in the area) I have been trying to acheive this task for 2 days with very little luck. I have a Dell Inspiron 1150 if that makes a difference. Thanks a bunch!! My personal e-mail is Hereigns@scrtc.com if anyone is gonna be in Southern Ky. this weekend. :blink::):lol::blink::lol:B)

Paperless seems like the best way to go for now.

Now if you do become a charter menber, you can use GSAK to print out the basics for all the nearby caches and could fit at least 20 per sheet. If you get crazy (double sided, four to a page) who knows how many you could get.

This also saves hauling a laptop around and keeping it safe.

\

Joe Smith

If you use Internet Explorer, go to the page you want to save, hit Favorites-->Add to Favorites and click "Make available offline"  If you have a PDA, you may want to look into paperless caching.

I have tried the favorite,save offline. The trouble I had was finding the info after I saved it. It wanted to go back to the web every time.

Paperless seems like the best way to go for now.

Now if you do become a charter menber, you can use GSAK to print out the basics for all the nearby caches and could fit at least 20 per sheet. If you get crazy (double sided, four to a page) who knows how many you could get.

This also saves hauling a laptop around and keeping it safe.

\

Joe Smith

We are gonna take the laptop, and printer in the camper. That way we can either take the laptop,and/or printout for the caches we decide to look for. :lol:

Once I get a PDA that may all change, I still got a lot of learnin' to do with the stuff I got already! :blink:

I will probably do the Premium Membership soon, right now I cannot put that $ in our budget. :blink:

If you use Internet Explorer, go to the page you want to save, hit Favorites-->Add to Favorites and click "Make available offline"  If you have a PDA, you may want to look into paperless caching.

I have tried the favorite,save offline. The trouble I had was finding the info after I saved it. It wanted to go back to the web every time.

After you open IE, you can go to File-->Work Offline. Then go to Favorites and open the page you saved. You can also Organize favorites by creating a cache directory and storing all the saved pages there.

But I think Markwell's solution is better.

If you want off-line copies of cache pages, do this:

1.Install Firefox.

2. Install the Scrapbook extension.

Besides having a better browser, you'll be able to save whole or partial web pages, organize them into folders, enter page comments, add annotation text right on the page, highlight text sections, even delete and rearrange the page layout. Oh, and full text search capabilities, as well (including your comments and annotations).

I am also fairly new and trying to figure out the GSAK thing. I've downloaded files to it, but I can't get it to show what type of cache it is (Micro, Regular, Small..) It is automatically downloading it as a loc file rather than a gpx file, but I don't see where to change that setting. If anyone has a good answer I'd love to try it.

I am also fairly new and trying to figure out the GSAK thing. I've downloaded files to it, but I can't get it to show what type of cache it is (Micro, Regular, Small..) It is automatically downloading it as a loc file rather than a gpx file, but I don't see where to change that setting. If anyone has a good answer I'd love to try it.

Please see items 2 and 10 of the GSAK FAQ in the help file or online here http://www.gsak.net/help/hs1070.htm

Note: You must be logged in when you download try to download a single cache from the cache page, else you won't see the GPX download.

Unfortunately from the search page, you can not download in GPX format. You need to run a PQ for this. Please see this link

The loc file won't show that information. You have to be a premium member to get the GPX file (either individually or in bulk from Pocket Queries). The GPX file contains much more information than the basic name and coordinates (which is all the LOC file contains). GPX files also contain all of the description of the cache, whether or not travel bugs are in the cache, and the last five logs.