Sinner's Circle

GlobalRat

Thought I’d open a thread to publish those sinners circle caches. That is those caches that have been set as unavailable for a month or more. Most of these cache owners don’t read the forums, but I’m hoping that those of you that do will start popping off emails to your local sinner politely enquiring as to the status of re-enablement of a cache.

Often, a handful of emails from concerned cachers is that extra shove required to get a cache owner out there, sooner rather than later, to get his/her cache up and running again. Some never respond… but then you know perhaps it is time to adopt a cache or get the archiving axe out. :angry:

The unavailable caches have crept up to 15, of which 10 will have been unavailable for a month or more this week.

Here’s this weeks list:-

Code (Date Unavailable) (Waypoint Name) (Placed By) (Province)

GCMNKQ (13/02/2005) (Umhlanga-) (CK of SA) (KZN)

GCHE6A (20/02/2005) (Kloof Falls Viewpoint) (Finium) (KZN)

GCN0A0 (20/03/2005) (Words don't come easy) (Beetles) (GP)

GCGX0Q (29/03/2005) (Arc of 30th Meridian #13 - Hluku) (Global_Viking) (KZN)

GCGX0N (29/03/2005) (Arc of 30th Meridian #12 - Umtamvuna) (Global_Viking) (KZN)

GC501C (25/04/2005) (The Dome) (Members of the 4x4 Offroad Adventure Club (Gauteng) (NW)

GCMFFY (26/04/2005) (Good Point!) (Discombob) (WC)

GCG23A (30/05/2005) (The right 4x4 trail) (Team Snakeseeker) (GP)

GCHANF (01/06/2005) (Eternal Koppie) (Eternity) (GP)

GCNMRZ (02/06/2005) (jean) (terason/jean) (WC)

I've been meaning to get Good point set up again for quite some time.

I have not been able to do this for a while, as dogs aren't allowed, and I've been babysitting my moms dog, so I've been preferring to take her where possible where dogs may go.

Also, this cache would be dangerous in the rain, so its been tricky with the recent heavy rains.

My mom is back, so as soon as I am off work on a dry day, I will replace this cache

Sorry for being such a sinner :-(

You better do that :rolleyes::lol:

<<snip>>

I believe I have the Stoddard's Demise cache figured out! :) (Time will tell!)

Have no fear.... the cache has actually been replaced, but need to print out a new waypoint laminate for the new location which should happen before the weekend.

Stoddard..... Goody.... 'bout time we have a second find on this devious cache.... looking forward to your log. B) ..... I know a number of peeps are really close to solving it..... wonder who will be first B)

Similar to caches being unavailable, another thing that also is a bit of an issue, is Travel bugs "out there" for a very long time.

I have drawn up a list, which I will publish under a separate thread (latest Wednesday next week) of cachers that took travel bugs and did not place them again. I will only list those that are out in the cold for more than 6 weeks (3 times the norm of 14 days).

I will also publish a list of caches that contain travel bugs, but that have not been visited for the past 6 weeks. Maybe this will get a few of us to visit these "not so frequented" caches, and try and move these TBs on.

Team Warthog will be visiting the KNP this coming weekend (1 to 4 July) and will on the way back attempt to collect "Ursula" from "Lapamanti".

...and then obviously our visit next weekend to the Free State to move the 2005 Race bugs on again.

I am almost on the way to redemption :blink:

1 new cache logged on the site today, and 1 more being logged tomorrow, the Multi-point sequel to your much loved Lost in Dolosse.

Just Good point! to fix still - and that dratted "walking the dog", if I ever get the guts to start that one up again :blink:

How long should caches be disabled for? Surely some amount of time is okey? Just want to know some opinions.

Of course... that's what it is there for.

IMHO, a week :blink:

But to be realistic (unfortunately most of us have our precious GC time interrupted with work), I reckon a month is good which is why I've restricted this list to a month +

I’m getting tired of those notes posted by owners which say they’ll replace shortly…… 6 months later we’re all still waiting.

Discombob….. You got off light this time! I think redemption in future will be as follows…. Fix one’s own cache and place 2 in ANOTHER province :(

But to be realistic (unfortunately most of us have our precious GC time interrupted with work), I reckon a month is good which is why I've restricted this list to a month +

I’m getting tired of those notes posted by owners which say they’ll replace shortly…… 6 months later we’re all still waiting.

Globalrat

Maybe this is one of those "rules" that can be put on the GASA page! It can become on of the recommendations what we would like done with caches in South Africa.

Not a lot of people read the forum; I get a lot of hits from SA so a lot of people read the webpage.

Also the TB "hording" If it is in the GASA page it can be used as a South African guideline!

Globalrat

Maybe this is one of those "rules" that can be put on the GASA page!

<<snip>>

Also the TB "hording" If it is in the GASA page it can be used as a South African guideline!

I’ll leave it up to you whether you want to add something. It would be a re-enforcement of the GC guidelines. Definitely not a “rule” as you say…. It is a common courtesy, we seem to lack this in the modern age.

Quote from GC.com Requirements/Guidelines:

As the cache owner, you are also responsible for physically checking your cache periodically, and especially when someone reports a problem with the cache (missing, damaged, wet, etc.). You may temporarily disable your cache to let others know not to hunt for it until you have a chance to fix the problem. This feature is to allow you a reasonable time – normally a few weeks – in which to arrange a visit to your cache. In the event that a cache is not being properly maintained, or has been temporarily disabled for an extended period of time, we may archive or transfer the listing.

As for TB hoarding. One is ‘pinged’ on one’s GC account if you have a TB for more than 2 weeks. Seems that many cachers unfortunately ignore this, but perhaps you should highlight the fact that people should move TB’s along expediently and that you’ll be ‘pinged’ if you haven’t in two weeks. GC’s ‘ping’ requests that you get the TB moved or at least inform the TB owner of the TB status as a courtesy. It's all there on GC, but if your site will provide better exposure for South African cachers, please do add it.

I would also add to your site, if it isn’t there yet…. That there is a Groundspeak forum for South Africa where the community shares ideas and discusses the sport internationally AND in South Africa!! Perhaps all that traffic will get some new faces on the forums. :blink:

I have drawn up a list, which I will publish under a separate thread (latest Wednesday next week) of cachers that took travel bugs and did not place them again. I will only list those that are out in the cold for more than 6 weeks (3 times the norm of 14 days).

Hurrah...someone who has the courage to say out loud what I just mutter about!

My "Heffalump TB" has gone missing and I cannot get a reply from the last person who helped it along its way.

Good job I cancelled my trip to Australia where I was going to collect "Heffalump TB" from my Mother! :blink:

Please do put the list up. Perhaps the "Holder" doesn't respond to the listed email any more. Odds are someone out there will know them and can remind them that they are "holding on to" a Travel Bug :(

Hurrah...someone who has the courage to say out loud what I just mutter about!

Azaruk.... you mustn't keep those feelings bottled up.... we're here for you :rolleyes:

I too have lost a TB :blink: in the depths of the US by an inconsiderate and non responsive cacher. Perhaps we can start a support group :P

I'm looking forward to Warthog's list.

Guys, always remember that you are the owner of the TB, but not in control of it :D ...under the TB Forum is a very nice couple of threats relatng to lost TB's, as well as TB graveyards :D .... It is nonetheless not happy days ;):D:D when one of your precious TB's, assembled with great care and love goes missing.

There is two caches that I would also like to add to the list: Blood River and Balelesberg - Utrecht, both these caches are from Chris Smith aka upuaut, a cacher that placed 30 caches (of which only 9 is still active) and do not visit the Geocaching site very often (although I see he did recently). As far as I can determine, the cacher is a placer all over SA, but not in control / in a position to maintain his caches. I'm willing to "adopt" these caches (if they are still there...). I have send numerous emails to this cacher and rate him as unresponsive (Chris, if you read this please respond).

I'll make it my next cache outing to visit both these and determine if they are still active...

There is two caches that I would also like to add to the list: Blood River and Balelesberg - Utrecht, both these caches are from Chris Smith aka upuaut, a cacher that placed 30 caches (of which only 9 is still active) and do not visit the Geocaching site very often (although I see he did recently). As far as I can determine, the cacher is a placer all over SA, but not in control / in a position to maintain his caches. I'm willing to "adopt" these caches (if they are still there...). I have send numerous emails to this cacher and rate him as unresponsive (Chris, if you read this please respond).

Africard

Will add to the list. I was in contact with Chris Smith in May. He has been spending the last few years in the depths of Africa and has little contact with the outside world.

He is returning to South Africa in August and has promised to spend some time replacing his caches.

This weeks list:

(Code) Code (Date Unavailable) (Waypoint Name) (Placed By) (Province)

GCMNKQ GCMNKQ (13/02/2005) (Umhlanga-) (CK of SA) (KZN)

GCHE6A GCHE6A (20/02/2005) (Kloof Falls Viewpoint) (Finium) (KZN)

GCN0A0 GCN0A0 (20/03/2005) (Words don't come easy) (Beetles) (GP)

GCGX0Q GCGX0Q (29/03/2005) (Arc of 30th Meridian #13 - Hluku) (Global_Viking) (KZN)

GCGX0N GCGX0N (29/03/2005) (Arc of 30th Meridian #12 - Umtamvuna) (Global_Viking) (KZN)

GCMFFY GCMFFY (26/04/2005) (Good Point!) (Discombob) (WC)

GCG23A GCG23A (30/05/2005) (The right 4x4 trail) (Team Snakeseeker) (GP)

GCHANF GCHANF (01/06/2005) (Eternal Koppie) (Eternity) (GP)

GCJB3N GCJB3N (10/06/2005) (Walking the Dog) (Discombob) (WC)

Discombob... don't forget pennance this time is a cache in another province :unsure::blink:

Managed to get two fixed in the last week :wacko:

Good point! has been enabled today, so you can take that off your black list - hope it lasts.

Penance in another province. Thats against the geocaching rules :P - who is volunteering to maintain it?

Good man. Thanks for your efforts!

;) Heh heh... well you see... this is where the pennance bit comes in :P Once you've placed in another province you need to give the cache up for adoption to a local cacher :unsure::(;)

This weeks update:

(Code) Code (Date Unavailable) (Waypoint Name) (Placed By) (Province)

GCMNKQ GCMNKQ (13/02/2005) (Umhlanga-) (CK of SA) (KZN)

GCHE6A GCHE6A (20/02/2005) (Kloof Falls Viewpoint) (Finium) (KZN)

GCN0A0 GCN0A0 (20/03/2005) (Words don't come easy) (Beetles) (GP)

GCGX0Q GCGX0Q (29/03/2005) (Arc of 30th Meridian #13 - Hluku) (Global_Viking) (KZN)

GCGX0N GCGX0N (29/03/2005) (Arc of 30th Meridian #12 - Umtamvuna) (Global_Viking) (KZN)

GCG23A GCG23A (30/05/2005) (The right 4x4 trail) (Team Snakeseeker) (GP)

GCHANF GCHANF (01/06/2005) (Eternal Koppie) (Eternity) (GP)

GCJB3N GCJB3N (10/06/2005) (Walking the Dog) (Discombob) (WC)

GCNCQD GCNCQD (17/06/2005) (All that Trash) (Whostops) (KZN)

The list is remaining fairly static, so will only update again if there is a major change.

GCNCQD GCNCQD (17/06/2005) (All that Trash) (Whostops) (KZN)

It has taken me a while, but at last I have replaced the cache ( a bit smaller this time) ;)

I also had to move the one clue as the tree had fallen down. :D

Hopefully it will last a bit longer this time.

If it goes missing again (there are a lot of unsavoury types around) I will have to come up with a new plan.

As far as I can determine, the cacher is a placer all over SA, but not in control / in a position to maintain his caches.

A few weeks back we placed a cache (Seekoeirivier) at our regular holiday destination far from home. The reviewer (erik88l-r) insisted that I give the cache up for adoption or explain how maintenance of the cache would be done. Hence the note on the cache post.

We've also visited a number of Chris Smith's caches which were in a bad condition. With our harsh African climate I think reviewers should be more strict on this rule - there's far too many caches which are water filled for far too long! :laughing:

So glad to see that Kloof Falls View has been ressurected..I (Susan) of team Azaruk have not done this one so I will be visiting :unsure:

On a seperate note, and cross referencing from the TB thread....just in case my message was not seen there... :blink:

Colinbo was the last person to handle Heffalump.....way back in April. Since then the silence has been deafening.

But today I see that Colinbo was active in the forums on the 27th July 2005 <_<

Please, if anyone knows Colinbo, or has a different email address for him, let me know. I just want Heffalump back on the road.

This is my first TB and it is disheartening that she has become missing in action so rapidly. :lol:

Uuuuurrrghhh this list is starting to grow again… :P Will post an update shortly.

Does anyone know Team Snakeseeker. They never validated their GC account and the emails do not deliver to their “registered” email.

Why oh why are unvalidated accounts allowed to create caches....

:P

Peter Scholtz's Melkbosstrand (GCMPAT) as well as Cape Town City Multi (GC9AC) needs to be replaced or archived. Both seems to have been out of action for quite some time now.

Thanks, for that.

If you have already contacted the owner without success then I suggest you process a "Needs Archived" log against the caches. This will trigger a process that will either force the owner to action the cache or archive it. In the case of archiving, be sure that all cache debris has been removed from the site.

Or, if interested, you can initiate an adoption request. This is usually done in agreement with the owner, but if you can not get hold of the owner you can contact Geocaching admin to initiate proceedings

Just an update.

The bold items have been disabled for 30 days or more:-

No. of Days -- Waypoint Name [ Placed By] (Province)

128 Days -- Arc of 30th Meridian #13 - Hluku [ Global_Viking] (KZN) - Awaiting cleanup for archive or adoption

128 Days -- Arc of 30th Meridian #12 - Umtamvuna [ Global_Viking] (KZN) - Awaiting cleanup for archive or adoption

122 Days -- Eternal Koppie [ Eternity] (GP)

113 Days -- Walking the Dog [ Discombob] (WC)

99 Days -- Cradock Peak [ Finfoot] (WC)

50 Days -- Locomotion [ perdix] (EC)

49 Days -- Swallow's Nest [ Swallow] (GP)

41 Days -- Fallen Tree [ Beetles] (GP)

33 Days -- British Army Native War Memorial [ TJ Pytheas] (GP)

30 Days -- SeeView [ krustychris] (KZN)

27 Days -- Umhlanga- [ CK of SA] (KZN) Being adopted... good on you Noddy!

21 Days -- The Wishing Well [ Noddy] (KZN)

14 Days -- Money Chest [ cache-fan] (GP)

13 Days -- Blue Crane [ cache-fan] (GP)

13 Days -- Outré [ QFC] (GP)

11 Days -- Bush hide [ klaproos] (MP)

10 Days -- Cape Town to Cape Point [ Peter Scholtz] (WC)

7 Days -- Crestholme Pony Ride [ Azaruk] (KZN)

7 Days -- Techno Cache [ Seeker Two] (GP)

7 Days -- Cullinan's big hole [ Brick] (GP)

6 Days -- Crazy Jump [ Bjbez] (GP)

4 Days -- Reporters Riddle #2 [ GlobalRat] (GP)

2 Days -- BRIDGE WALKER ( 2 ) [ LAND ROVER DISCOVERER] (FS)

0 Days -- Dune Forest Cache [ Azaruk] (KZN)

I have a major maintenance trip planned for the 15/16th October, during which time all my 'doubful' caches as well as those that have been tempoaraily withdrawn will be sorted out. If I have the time, I'll try and place a couple more as well.

"Discodriver' no longer seems to be actively geocaching. I would like to adopt his caches which are very close to number of my own, which would make things a lot easier.

What is the procedure for adopting a cache? I see no obvious method listed on the main site.

Thanks

What is the procedure for adopting a cache? I see no obvious method listed on the main site.

Thanks

You need to request it from the current cache owner (Email)

A cache owner can set up their cache for adoption, and they will nominate the adoptee by using

http://www.geocaching.com/adopt/

Only a nominated adoptee can adopt a cache, and you use the same URL.

If you have no luck in contacting the current owner of a cache and they are inactive, then you can approach Geocaching admin who will process the adoption for you once they have attempted to contact the owner as well. If you manage to get hold of the owner and they agree, it all takes a few minutes, if you have to involve admin it could take a week or two.

Edited by GlobalRat

Does anyone know the user Chris Smith aka upuaut. He/she has placed 30 caches (last one in 20 June 2002). I would like to 'fix' one of the caches but cannot get hold of the owner as the cache has been archived. The owner was last active Sunday, November 20, 2005 (according to profile page).

Seeker Two

:)