Travel Bug In A Bottle In A River

arcticcatmatt

I got an awesome idea. I like the old message in a bottle thing.

Make a waterproof cache and put a tb in it. Then toss it in a river. Label it geocache. And maybe muggles way down streem that find it will get on the website and log it!

Chances are it will be lost I bet though.. or maybe this is considered littering

Make a waterproof cache and put a tb in it. Then toss it in a river. Label it geocache. And maybe muggles way down streem that find it will get on the website and log it!

Chances are it will be lost I bet though.. or maybe this is considered littering

If you have 5 bucks to blow on a TB tag and $$ for the container you never will see again. Knock yourself out :angry:

neat idea, but I'm unsure if it would work. You would have to research the river you loose the container on. If it was a lock or a dam or anything manmade that changes or impedes the flow of water, either for navigation or making power, a container probably will get stuck there. I suppose that's better than it ending up out in the ocean though...

then again, perhaps it would make it someplace really interesting then!

You might actually get a kick out of this neat little project: Bandy Cams.

Take a disposible camera, register in at the site, and release it to the wild. Some have attached TB tags to it and move them from cache to cache, but others are just passed around. It's just starting up in the past few months, but looks like a fun project. Everytime I see disposable on the rack at a store I'm reminded of this, but I forget which camera they recommend so I don't purchase. :anicute:

Anyway, like I said, this might be a project that might have a bit of better return than just tossing a TB away.

CoyoteRed,

Thanks for mentioning Bandycams here. While this project is still an infant, there are more cameras being released all the time, both with and without TBs attached.

You asked about cameras. Just about any disposable camera will work. I just buy the cheapest I can find.

There's a fairly complete explanation on how to setup a camera on this page.

Cheers,

Ed

The cam idea is neat but as the "owner" I would be worried what I would be taking in to get processed. I already had to explain to a HS at CVS that Monkey Puzzle 2 down in Jax Fl was NOT a bomb and the people who were in the pictures with me were not evil people.

I used big words she seemed to just nod and lookd confused. I did my job, got my pictures and RAN lol