Found My First Cache (and Benchmark) Today!

jumpr

I recently acquired a Garmin eTrex Legend (for $119 - $10 coupon at OfficeMax) and immediately jumped into Geocaching. I went out this morning to try my hand at the new hobby.

A few hours later, tired, sweaty and smiling, I emerged from the woods. I'd located my first benchmark (a flange-encased rod at my local airport) and my first cache (GC814E). I can already tell that I'm going to have a blast caching. My girlfriend isn't really into outdoor activities (she refuses to come camping with me! :angry:), but maybe I can convince her to come along on a cache someday!

Here are a couple pics from my first cache:

This is how I found the cache.

gc814e.jpg

This is my Legend, sitting on my backpack (which was right next to the cache site). The coordinates are a little off...the averaging hadn't kicked in too much yet. :yikes:

gc814e-2.jpg

Hello,

I too got my first cache today... did a trail of 5 here in AZ but only found 2. Same problem with the GF here. She elected to sit in the truck while I wandered the desert for a little while.

I can see this becoming a real habit.

KAN702

Edited by kan702
Ummm, is that poison ivy by the cache?

Welcome to geocaching! You're offcially addicted now, I think.

Ha, I hope not! Actually that was a big concern of mine (and other cachers had noted it in the log book), but I'm decidedly itch-free today, so I don't believe there was any poison ivy.

Ummm, is that poison ivy by the cache?

Welcome to geocaching!  You're offcially addicted now, I think.

Ha, I hope not! Actually that was a big concern of mine (and other cachers had noted it in the log book), but I'm decidedly itch-free today, so I don't believe there was any poison ivy.

I consider myself pretty lucky. I don't react to poison ivy or poison oak. Granted, you can develop a reaction to it, so it may not always be so...but, 2 years into caching, and many traipses through poison ivy and nothing...so, I am pretty happy about that.

I heard about geo-caching a couple of years ago, but just recently went out on a limb and bought a GPS. I did my first cache two days ago and I feel like I am addicted. It is so much fun and takes me out of my house and to areas in my city I never knew existed. I can even do it with my two young kids. I also enjoy the tougher ones too. I love hiking and biking and pretty much anything outdoors. I have been searching for a hobby that could rival my husband's paintball obsession and I think I've found it.